IGNORED

Let's talk college football

bamagrad03
Note: This thread is 4187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by CallawayVols

Florida week. Cant wait to go.

I just dont see how they stop us

Me either at this point.  I would like to have went, but just couldn't make it happen.  Thinking I may be able to hit the Vandy game...maybe even Bama if a friend can hook me up.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I can't believe it's already here!  I am a Fresno State fan, but I don't think we're making any big headlines this year, at least as far as I know.  (Unless lightning strikes and we beat Oregon in Eugene to start the season)

I also root for UCLA (wife is an alum) but, well, expectations there aren't extremely high either.

Regardless, very excited for the upcoming season!

That was then, this is now ... Go Bruins!!

(And, hey, at least my Bulldogs scored 25 points against Oregon.  Wasn't quite the 52-0 shellacking I feared was possible from the Ducks)

Originally Posted by CallawayVols

Vols are back

Not quite.  Y'all look a couple of years away depth-wise.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

• 2 weeks later...

I love it when Alabama can sleep-walk through a conference game and still win by three scores.

Also... LSU and Mississippi State better watch out.  That ain't Houston Nutt's Ole Miss Rebels anymore.  Hugh Freeze has got the Rebels playing some inspired football.

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Originally Posted by bwdial

I love it when Alabama can sleep-walk through a conference game and still win by three scores.

Also... LSU and Mississippi State better watch out.  That ain't Houston Nutt's Ole Miss Rebels anymore.  Hugh Freeze has got the Rebels playing some inspired football.

Oh yeah.  Huge wins over Central Ark, Tulane, and UTEP.  And shellackings from Texas (at home) and Bama.  I'm sure the LSU Tigers are quaking in their litter boxes.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

Oh yeah.  Huge wins over Central Ark, Tulane, and UTEP.  And shellackings from Texas (at home) and Bama.  I'm sure the LSU Tigers are quaking in their litter boxes.

LSU - 12

Auburn - 10

LSU - 38

Towson - 22

That last one is an FCS school, and they struggled mightily.  Ole Miss seems to be improving.  LSU seems to be regressing and playing down to their opponents.  If Ole Miss can jam LSU up at the line of scrimmage, I'm not sure that Mettenberger can make them pay for it.  Oh yeah, and UTEP gave Oklahoma all they could handle.

Originally Posted by bwdial

Oh yeah, and UTEP gave Oklahoma all they could handle.

I guess by extrapolation, I can expect my Longhorns to throttle OU without breaking a sweat.  Thanks for the boost!!

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

FIGHTING IRISH

In My  Nimbus Stand Bag:

Driver: :tmade: RBZ 9.5*

Hybrid: :callaway: XHot 18* Pro

Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0 5-PW, AW

Wedge: :callaway: Mack Daddy 2 Tour 58*

Putter: :odyssey: Protype Black #9

Ball: :callaway: SuperSoft

Originally Posted by k-troop

I guess by extrapolation, I can expect my Longhorns to throttle OU without breaking a sweat.  Thanks for the boost!!

You're welcome.

My point is that Ole Miss - even while getting throttled by Texas - looked a helluva lot better than they have in the past couple of years under Nutt.  Those teams had a whole lot of quit in 'em.  Their offense is much improved and their defense is light years ahead of where they were last year... which was basically like running against a defense in non-contact practice.

BTW... I hope y'all jump all over West Virginia this week.  I'm sick of the Geno Smith/WVU Air Raid lovefest which was a result of exactly what I described above.

I love all the SEC Big10 biased opinions out there. Seems like all there is to do in the south is watch football. good thing i live in cali. golf in the winter is 72 degrees. blammm!!!

In My  Nimbus Stand Bag:

Driver: :tmade: RBZ 9.5*

Hybrid: :callaway: XHot 18* Pro

Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0 5-PW, AW

Wedge: :callaway: Mack Daddy 2 Tour 58*

Putter: :odyssey: Protype Black #9

Ball: :callaway: SuperSoft

I can't wait for the BCS rankings to come out because from what I've read it's going to be rather crazy with the computer polls having several different teams at number 1.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU_justin View Post

I hate Les Miles.

Les Miles isn't your problem. He's a damn fine coach. LSU has been wrecked with injuries this year. Especially on the Oline. Between that and Matthieu's antics, it really put LSU behind the 8 ball. I really like Miles and he's done a great deal while he's been down there. Just think he was dealt a bad hand this year.

Quote:
I can't wait for the BCS rankings to come out because from what I've read it's going to be rather crazy with the computer polls having several different teams at number 1.

Yeah, since margin of victory is no longer considered, ND gets the same credit for a 1 score win over Michigan at home as we do for a 42-14 romping of them on a neutral field. I can't believe ND is ranked so high. Louisville and ND have no business being ranked where they are. Both have good records, but both have struggled with some bad teams. Purdue? Come on. Louisville beat Southern Miss by 4 - a week removed from Southern Miss losing 42-14 to Western Kentucky.

Originally Posted by bamagrad03

Yeah, since margin of victory is no longer considered, ND gets the same credit for a 1 score win over Michigan at home as we do for a 42-14 romping of them on a neutral field. I can't believe ND is ranked so high. Louisville and ND have no business being ranked where they are. Both have good records, but both have struggled with some bad teams. Purdue? Come on. Louisville beat Southern Miss by 4 - a week removed from Southern Miss losing 42-14 to Western Kentucky.

ND is always the most over-rated and under-rated team.  They get a lot of hype, but then there are people like you that can't acknowledge their success. They're 5-0.  They beat two teams that were ranked, and face a third this weekend.  Their defense is giving up 7.8 points per game and have not given up a TD in three weeks (Miami, Mich, Mich St.). The only team that's given up fewer points is Alabama (7.0 per game).  ND has about the same rushing and passing yards as Alabama but much fewer points.  I'm not saying ND is in the same class as Alabama--they are not.  But they deserve where they are.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

ND lost 13 straight bowl games for a reason: you can't hide behind over ranking when you play in a bowl game. I think ND is MUCH improved this year. I really do. But they've beaten name teams this year, not good teams.

Elite teams don't win squeakers against Purdue and Michigan this year. Michigan St is garbage. And Miami gave up 50 something to KState. They only have 1 win over a currently ranked opponent: Michigan. And Michigan is painfully average this year.

If ND were ranked accurately, they wouldn't be a double digit dog to Oklahoma in two weeks. Which, I'm willing to bet that line is at least OU -9. There's no way only 6 teams in the country would beat ND on a neutral field. Not when Michigan and Purdue almost did it on the road.

I think ND is headed in the right direction and I like their coach. But every time ND shows even the slightest pulse, the ND lovin sportswriters shoot them up the rankings like a bullet.

Originally Posted by bamagrad03

But they've beaten name teams this year, not good teams.

This is true of most of the teams above them, and just about all of the teams below them.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by dsc123

This is true of most of the teams above them, and just about all of the teams below them.

Agreed. But they aren't squeaking by with one score wins like ND did against Michigan and Purdue. There's no way a team like Clemson or Oklahoma beats a Purdue team by 3 points at home.

That's why I'm saying you can't JUST look at the record. You have to look at how they win. Is ND much improved? Yes. Are they a top 7 team? No. ND's defense is winning them games right now. But they HAVE to find some offense before they can be considered an elite team. Have to.

Note: This thread is 4187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!