• Announcements

• iacas

GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mvmac

Luke Donald apologizes for Twitter blast of golf architect Gil Hanse

10 posts in this topic

Luke Donald apologized Sunday for an offensive remark directed at architect Gil Hanse that was posted on his Twitter account Saturday.  It was suppose to be a private message but he accidentally posted it to his followers.  In the Tweet he called Hanse an offensive name.  The comment has been deleted but obviously word got out quickly.

Donald’s Twitter post stemmed from his frustration with the redesign of the par-5 18th hole at TPC Boston, which has been toughened by a shaved area left of the green.

Quote:

“I made a mistake, unfortunately. I sent a message that was not meant to go out on Twitter, and I take full responsibility,” Donald said after his third round of the Deutsche Bank Championship.

“I realized it immediately, tried to delete it and tried to move on. Unfortunately, it got caught up there, and such is life. I didn’t mean to put it out there, and I apologize to anyone I offended, especially Gil Hanse.”

On Saturday evening, the world No. 2 tweeted to his nearly 300,000 followers, “Nothing quite like hitting my best shot of the day into the last and walking off with a bogie, what a terribly re-designed green #sourtaste."

Jeff Babineau said Donald will also need a new phone number after Tweeting his cell accidentally.

Quote:
“It was ringing pretty hard,” he said. “Probably a new number is in store for me. That's what I deserve.”

Several celebrities and well-known athletes have abandoned Twitter after getting into damaging situations with what they've written. Donald wouldn’t go so far as to say he's retiring when asked if this incident would curtail his Twitter career.

“Well, it's certainly a powerful tool,” he said, “and you've got to be very aware of it. There's a certain addiction to Twitter. It's that constant update that everyone enjoys. . . . but probably wise if I took a little bit of a hiatus maybe.”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Do we know with reasonable certainty that Gil Hanse isn't, in fact, a cock?

Can't see the problem. I thought from the thread title that he'd really gone OTT but it's almost not worth reporting. It's not like he swore at Hanse or insulted his family. He didn't think much of the redesign and said so in pretty mild terms IMO.

The fact that Donald felt, or had suggested to him, that he'd best make an apology is pretty wet.

Man, i just cannot see how these world's best golfers can do so much complaining about conditions. Luke is forever telling us,  as sponsored by Mizuno, how to play the ball around the green, get up/down with ease, blast out from wet sand...you name it.  Yet, when time for Luke to suck it up and perform like a true master player, he fails and then cries about the external situation.  Please Luke, take up snooker  where the playing surfaces are always identical.

The first one is fine, if that's how he feels. I don't understand the idea that every golfer should praise every course, green and fairway they play on. Sure, he may have posted it in a moment of frustration, and it may not have been a very reflected comment, but it is what it is. The second tweet was unfortunate.

Originally Posted by Zeph

The first one is fine, if that's how he feels. I don't understand the idea that every golfer should praise every course, green and fairway they play on. Sure, he may have posted it in a moment of frustration, and it may not have been a very reflected comment, but it is what it is.

The second tweet was unfortunate.

The first tweet (while not very reflected as you say) was meant to be public, the second one not. He apologized and Hanse accepted, so no problem there.

IMO, its all a big fuss about a bunch of nothing.  Twitter is for people to post their thoughts and feelings.  If Hanse cant handle that, its his problem.

I think the tweet to Gil Hanse reads like some good natured ribbing from one friend to another. If Donald and Hanse aren't freindly it's kinda weird though.

Yeah really not a big deal. Especially compared to Poulter's tweets, who, like him or not, at least never backs down from them.

Originally Posted by Zeph

Ah ! Only read what was quoted on the opening of this thread and I'm not on Twitter. I can see why the apology was necessary with the c*ck comment. Have to admit, I've never seen the attraction of Twitter but that's probably just me.