IGNORED

NBC Sports: Passing the "Torch" to Rory McIlroy?

StealthTrader
Note: This thread is 4217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Rory is that good

With his putter now in the hands of guru Stockton

what has he done

3 of 4 tour events WINS

Rory is one of the youngest to have this

top 15 in all 4 majors by 23

his 15 is the masters which he could of won

that was his 'firing' on the tour

the hardening of turning steel in FINE STEEL

the way he came out of that and he now has two majors and a very close win and a 15 at masters

WOW

that's domination

the only other example is Michelle Wie

by 16 she had placed top 2 or 3 in all four ladies majors

Wie lost interest in LPGA, tried to play PGA and went to school

Now her putter is shot

She gets it back, she could do great things again

So check the record books

You want to show another pro with a better record in all four majors on the PGA tour by 23?

He probably hasn't been born yet

Or he's probably about 10 years old and his idol will be Rory the next 10 years not Tiger

This is a cross roads in the PGA

Tigers 'era' is on the wane and Rory's has indeed started

Just look at the main records, MAJORS

Show me another PGA pro by 23 with 2 wins and a high top 5 and a 15 he should of won in

The name is Rory and the era is now RORY's era

IMO

Tiger isn't done, but he is on the wane and he is trying to fix his star to Rories

He knows the last few majors he's gonna get, he's going through Rory

So the wiley vet is already getting close to his rival for those coveted 5 more majors to pass Jack

He knows he's gonna be dueling Rory most of the time on Sunday

Sure he may have some others too,

But it's Rory more than anyone else

Domination in all 4 majors

2 Major wins

A near win

3 of 4 events in 4 weeks

The only pro to dominate this completely recently was Tiger

RORY RORY RORY

Originally Posted by 1player

Rory is that good

With his putter now in the hands of guru Stockton

what has he done

3 of 4 tour events WINS

Rory is one of the youngest to have this

top 15 in all 4 majors by 23

his 15 is the masters which he could of won

that was his 'firing' on the tour

the hardening of turning steel in FINE STEEL

the way he came out of that and he now has two majors and a very close win and a 15 at masters

WOW

that's domination

the only other example is Michelle Wie

by 16 she had placed top 2 or 3 in all four ladies majors

Wie lost interest in LPGA, tried to play PGA and went to school

Now her putter is shot

She gets it back, she could do great things again

So check the record books

You want to show another pro with a better record in all four majors on the PGA tour by 23?

He probably hasn't been born yet

Or he's probably about 10 years old and his idol will be Rory the next 10 years not Tiger

This is a cross roads in the PGA

Tigers 'era' is on the wane and Rory's has indeed started

Just look at the main records, MAJORS

Show me another PGA pro by 23 with 2 wins and a high top 5 and a 15 he should of won in

The name is Rory and the era is now RORY's era

IMO

Tiger isn't done, but he is on the wane and he is trying to fix his star to Rories

He knows the last few majors he's gonna get, he's going through Rory

So the wiley vet is already getting close to his rival for those coveted 5 more majors to pass Jack

He knows he's gonna be dueling Rory most of the time on Sunday

Sure he may have some others too,

But it's Rory more than anyone else

Domination in all 4 majors

2 Major wins

A near win

3 of 4 events in 4 weeks

The only pro to dominate this completely recently was Tiger

RORY RORY RORY

Is this a JayZ song?

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Rory is easily the best in 2012, but Tiger has 3 wins, though none were majors.

What happens IF Tiger wins in Atlanta?  And wins the FedEx cup?  And THEN leads Team USA to victory in the Ryder Cup?  Will Rory still 'easily' be the best in 2012?

I think there is a lot of important golf to be played on major stages (sorry I know the FedEx Cup and Ryder Cup aren't major stages - but they are going to have a lot of golf fans glued to the tele).  There is still a chance that Tiger could actually win player of the year if he finds a way to pull out some dubs over the balance of the month of September IMO.

I could be wrong.  And often am wrong... But your post just made me think that there's still a chance for Tiger to win POY.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

What happens IF Tiger wins in Atlanta?  And wins the FedEx cup?  And THEN leads Team USA to victory in the Ryder Cup?  Will Rory still 'easily' be the best in 2012?

I think there is a lot of important golf to be played on major stages (sorry I know the FedEx Cup and Ryder Cup aren't major stages - but they are going to have a lot of golf fans glued to the tele).  There is still a chance that Tiger could actually win player of the year if he finds a way to pull out some dubs over the balance of the month of September IMO.

I could be wrong.  And often am wrong... But your post just made me think that there's still a chance for Tiger to win POY.

There's only one possible "dub" left and I'm 99% that won't be enough. Not having won a mojor is HUGE in POY.

Driver: Cleveland Launcher DST

Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie 3H

Irons: Cleveland Launcher

Wedges: Cleveland cg 15 46, 52, 56, 60

Putter: Odyssey tour black

Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

Rory has proved he can go low on defenseless courses, and roll the ball. Other than that, a lot of people are jumping the gun on Rors v. Tiger.

We'll know more next year.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by goob3r

There's only one possible "dub" left and I'm 99% that won't be enough. Not having won a mojor is HUGE in POY.

I don't think it will be as 'mojor' factor - especially if Tiger can pull out the dub.  The reason?  Because he's Tiger.

How far ahead of the field was he at Augusta before he collapsed to arise from the ashes like the Phoenix?

Defenseless courses?

Sure

Win at US Opens by a huge margin, one of the biggest in history.

Win at a brutal PGA by the same margin

A top 5 in British

Seems he loves only defenseless courses.

Tiger is pushing 40

Rory is pushing 25

Rory is the most dominant player in the game right now

3 wins in 4 weeks and he has 2 majors and a top 5 in a major and a top 15 at augusta

I think next 2 years Rory and Tiger play close to even

Next 4 years Rory has slight edge

Next 10 years are the Rory decade, Tiger won't do much after 40, his next 4 years are the wane of his era.

So what he wins 1 or 2 majors after 40 (tiger)

The majors are won in bunches in 20's and 30's just look at the books

Tiger has had a myriad of injuries already, and the years are flying by

The last 4 years show how majors are only won in bunches in 20's and 30's just like Jack and Arnie and all the greats

Golfers prime is 22 to 32

32 to 42 they win more due to experience than pure athletic power and flexibility

Once they hit 42, it's usually bye bye to majors

Sure Jack won 1 at 46

How was his record in majors after 40

How about Arnie, Gary, Trevino, Hogan, Nelson

No one has ever dominated majors after 40 and now that the young players are so much better compared to Tiger than the tour was to a young tiger, his dominance in majors is over

Sure he's gonna be top 10 often in them, but he's not lapping the field in majors now, the only tour pro doing that now is RORY

RORY RORY RORY

How far ahead of the field was he at Augusta before he collapsed to arise from the ashes like the Phoenix?

Defenseless courses?

Sure

Win at US Opens by a huge margin, one of the biggest in history.

Win at a brutal PGA by the same margin

A top 5 in British

Seems he loves only defenseless courses.

Tiger is pushing 40

Rory is pushing 25

Rory is the most dominant player in the game right now

3 wins in 4 weeks and he has 2 majors and a top 5 in a major and a top 15 at augusta

I think next 2 years Rory and Tiger play close to even

Next 4 years Rory has slight edge

Next 10 years are the Rory decade, Tiger won't do much after 40, his next 4 years are the wane of his era.

So what he wins 1 or 2 majors after 40 (tiger)

The majors are won in bunches in 20's and 30's just look at the books

Tiger has had a myriad of injuries already, and the years are flying by

The last 4 years show how majors are only won in bunches in 20's and 30's just like Jack and Arnie and all the greats

Golfers prime is 22 to 32

32 to 42 they win more due to experience than pure athletic power and flexibility

Once they hit 42, it's usually bye bye to majors

Sure Jack won 1 at 46

How was his record in majors after 40

How about Arnie, Gary, Trevino, Hogan, Nelson

No one has ever dominated majors after 40 and now that the young players are so much better compared to Tiger than the tour was to a young tiger, his dominance in majors is over

Sure he's gonna be top 10 often in them, but he's not lapping the field in majors now, the only tour pro doing that now is RORY

RORY RORY RORY

Can I ask a favor? Please post in paragraphs and not in bullet points(?). Also, we get it that you are a fan of McIlroy. Enough with the fandom please.

Use ignore if you don't like to read my words.

I do not use paragraphs for 'forums'.

I think your handle should be

'Net Nazi"

I thought I was being polite. No need to be so defensive.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Rory has proved he can go low on defenseless courses, and roll the ball. Other than that, a lot of people are jumping the gun on Rors v. Tiger.

We'll know more next year.

Yeah, Blue Monster, Quail Hollow, Firestone, Kiawah (Major setup)...might as well be playing Muni tracks in Brownsville.  You gotta admit that two weeks in a row, Tiger put up his game, and Rory swatted it away like a mild inconvenience.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

Yeah, Blue Monster, Quail Hollow, Firestone, Kiawah (Major setup)...might as well be playing Muni tracks in Brownsville.  You gotta admit that two weeks in a row, Tiger put up his game, and Rory swatted it away like a mild inconvenience.

I don't think Tiger has his "A" game yet.

Just saying that Rory does well on soggy, windless courses - he goes low - all to his credit. Can he score in poor weather? He hasn't shown it consistently.

People tend to bandwagon soon and jump off fast ... patience, Grasshopper. Rivalries take time and are more fun - there is no need to crown a King.

And being up 3 strokes over 72 holes is not a mild inconvenience, although Rors was not threatened. Now beating the field by 5-13, give or take a stroke, that renders the field meaningless.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Windless golf courses?  Just out of curiosity, do you actually watch any golf?

Kiawah Island was wet, but it blew a gale, especially on Friday when the average score was 78, with Rory shooting 75.  Over the weekend the wind dropped, but the conditions were difficult, and at the Honda the wind was a factor on all four days .  Just to refresh your memory, Rory didn't bomb those courses as he did Congressional.  Instead he relied on an extraordinary short game.  Quail Hollow was hard and lightning fast when he shot a 62 on the Sunday to come from 4 back.  You really need to watch the golf before commenting on it.

Originally Posted by FarWest

Windless golf courses?  Just out of curiosity, do you actually watch any golf?

Kiawah Island was wet, but it blew a gale, especially on Friday when the average score was 78, with Rory shooting 75.  Over the weekend the wind dropped, but the conditions were difficult, and at the Honda the wind was a factor on all four days .  Just to refresh your memory, Rory didn't bomb those courses as he did Congressional.  Instead he relied on an extraordinary short game.  Quail Hollow was hard and lightning fast when he shot a 62 on the Sunday to come from 4 back.  You really need to watch the golf before commenting on it.

Two majors - windless and soggy.

Inconsistent play this year.

Don't be such a homer.

I love watching Rors and Tiger and anyone near them play - I give them their due. But Rors even admits he doesn't enjoy playing in poor weather.

And now you're comparing Rors to the rest of the field at Kiawah with an average Saturday score when you said the field was no more than a nuisance? Pfft. Give me a break.  I thought he was in another stratosphere?

Actually, I think he is presently in another stratosphere. But he is not King.

As I said - watching the contest is more interesting than the trophy ceremony.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Two majors - windless and soggy.

Inconsistent play this year.

Don't be such a homer.

I love watching Rors and Tiger and anyone near them play - I give them their due. But Rors even admits he doesn't enjoy playing in poor weather.

And now you're comparing Rors to the rest of the field at Kiawah with an average Saturday score when you said the field was no more than a nuisance? Pfft. Give me a break.  I thought he was in another stratosphere?

Actually, I think he is presently in another stratosphere. But he is not King.

As I said - watching the contest is more interesting than the trophy ceremony.

Are you really continuing to state that Kiawah Island was windless?  Unbelievable.

And you might point out to me where I referred to the rest of the field as no more than a nuisance.  Your capacity to imagine things is quite impressive.

tiger has NOT put up his best game yet in these playoffs.  had he played the par 5s like he should have, we would have seen a different outcome the past 2 weeks.  every time i checked, there was tiger parring another par 5.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 4217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!