IGNORED

2012 NFL Season

jamo
Note: This thread is 4130 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't want to argue about elite, because everyone's definition will be different, but.... the Eagles defense made Cam look really good. Why the Eagles, with 2 of the best cover corners money can buy, continually set up in this zone strategy where neither one of the corners look to be covering anybody. Asomugha looks lost. There were numerous occasions where Panther receivers were running around uncovered. I mean WIDE open by NFL standards.

I only saw the highlights but that's what it looked like just on the two TDs. The receivers could not have been more open short of running into the parking lot.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mchepp

I don't want to argue about elite, because everyone's definition will be different, but.... the Eagles defense made Cam look really good. Why the Eagles, with 2 of the best cover corners money can buy, continually set up in this zone strategy where neither one of the corners look to be covering anybody. Asomugha looks lost. There were numerous occasions where Panther receivers were running around uncovered. I mean WIDE open by NFL standards.

No doubt. I was appalled at the blown coverages by Philly, especially given their personnel. That second TD...wow...you never see an NFL WR that wide open.

So yes - it could be said that Philly made Cam look good, and I wouldn't disagree. But there seems to be a lot of talk about how 'disappointing' Cam's season has been compared to last year. Well sure - he hasn't been as good as last year, but he's far from being ineffective or a bust. He's going to do very well in this league for a long time.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

No doubt. I was appalled at the blown coverages by Philly, especially given their personnel. That second TD...wow...you never see an NFL WR that wide open.

So yes - it could be said that Philly made Cam look good, and I wouldn't disagree. But there seems to be a lot of talk about how 'disappointing' Cam's season has been compared to last year. Well sure - he hasn't been as good as last year, but he's far from being ineffective or a bust. He's going to do very well in this league for a long time.

I agree that he will be a decent QB. If he can stay healthy and stay positive. The negativity that he brought to the locker room last year made him look bad. I do not think that Cam will be the guy you rely on when or if it comes down to the playoffs. There are too many "elite" QB's that, even when they are struggling, find ways to win games. i.e. Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, and I'm sure there are a few more. It takes a little more than just having breakout games to call yourself elite. It's hard to explain but here's how I see it... On a good day Cam Newton is pretty good. But, when he's bad... he's VERY bad. The QB's that I just named are never THAT bad.

"There are two things that don't last very long...dogs that chase cars, and golfers who putt for pars."

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Im rooting for Cam, I just wish he would stop the whole Superman thing...........looks pretty silly considering Carolinas record.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Im rooting for Cam, I just wish he would stop the whole Superman thing...........looks pretty silly considering Carolinas record.

I kind of like it now that every player on the opposing team does it when they make a good play. I'm not one for Cam Newton just because of his attitude. Look at how RG3 carries himself... he's easier to like I guess.

"There are two things that don't last very long...dogs that chase cars, and golfers who putt for pars."

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

I remember when the Gmen beat down the Panthers and Cam scored and did the Superman pantomime with his team behind something like 27 - 10, and I thought if I were Rivera I would fine him..

My whole take on running QBs is that if you run options and wildcat plays for your QB, you will not be successful over the long haul.

dak4n6

Originally Posted by dak4n6

I remember when the Gmen beat down the Panthers and Cam scored and did the Superman pantomime with his team behind something like 27 - 10, and I thought if I were Rivera I would fine him..

My whole take on running QBs is that if you run options and wildcat plays for your QB, you will not be successful over the long haul.

Agreed. It may work for a year or two but in the NFL, if your game doesn't "adjust" to other teams on the fly, you will not be successful. IMO the wildcat never works out in the NFL.

First time in memorable history that I didn't even bother turning a Monday night game on.  Doesn't sound like I missed much.

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

Originally Posted by smellysell

First time in memorable history that I didn't even bother turning a Monday night game on.  Doesn't sound like I missed much

I just hate Cam Newton. Hate watching him play lol. He's a cry baby.

He exceeded everyone's expectations last year.  This year he's played more in line with what we all thought he'd do last season but given his great rookie year no one wants to be patient now or remembers he's had limited playing time at the college and pro level.

Originally Posted by JasonK88S

I just hate Cam Newton. Hate watching him play lol. He's a cry baby.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

He exceeded everyone's expectations last year.  This year he's played more in line with what we all thought he'd do last season but given his great rookie year no one wants to be patient now or remembers he's had limited playing time at the college and pro level.

He wont succeed against playoff defenses... Sure he has good games but there aren't many QB's who don't. Not trying to take anything away from him but he is just an average QB. I will say that he will not last as long as most elite qb's in the league unless he changes his style of play. Any playoff team's defense will shut down Cam Newton.

I'm not a fan of his, just pointing out that his college career was limited and he far exceeded expectations his rookie year which set the bar quite high for him this season.  Part of his success last year was due to his outstanding athletic ability, once defensive coordinators had 16 games of video on him they came up with schemes to contain and confuse him.

I don't know what his potential is, but he's going to have to improve his ability to read defenses and he's going to need better pass protection if he's going to have another season like last year.

He wont succeed against playoff defenses... Sure he has good games but there aren't many QB's who don't. Not trying to take anything away from him but he is just an average QB. I will say that he will not last as long as most elite qb's in the league unless he changes his style of play. Any playoff team's defense will shut down Cam Newton.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I'm not a fan of his, just pointing out that his college career was limited and he far exceeded expectations his rookie year which set the bar quite high for him this season.  Part of his success last year was due to his outstanding athletic ability, once defensive coordinators had 16 games of video on him they came up with schemes to contain and confuse him.

I don't know what his potential is, but he's going to have to improve his ability to read defenses and he's going to need better pass protection if he's going to have another season like last year.

Absolutely. Teams just put a spy on him and shut him down. He does have a good arm but then again like you said he needs the protection. I honestly think he would be a lot better if he could just adjust a little better and kick his bad attitude.

Absolutely. Teams just put a spy on him and shut him down. He does have a good arm but then again like you said he needs the protection. I honestly think he would be a lot better if he could just adjust a little better and kick his bad attitude.

It is going to be interesting Monday night as RG3 has to face a team for the second time in a season for the first time in his NFL career.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Not a fan of Newton either, but in his defense, he's got a terrible team around him.

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

It is going to be interesting Monday night as RG3 has to face a team for the second time in a season for the first time in his NFL career.

He will probably have a good night - the Giants are the best team in the NFL - unfortunately they only step it up against the good teams and sleepwalk when playing the scrubs.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I think RG3 will have a good game. I wouldn't go as far as saying the Giants are the "best in the NFL" but they have a solid team. Cant overlook the teams who consistently show up during playoffs.

Note: This thread is 4130 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!