IGNORED

Rory McIlroy signs with Nike.. Rory and Tiger Film Commercial Together (Updates)

KrazyTrain18
Note: This thread is 4119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

https://twitter.com/kellytilghmangc/status/263259159858921472

KellyTilghmanGC

Titleist says it's not renewing Rory McIlroy's equipment contract. Rumors rampant of lucrative Nike deal for Rory. 1+1=2?

10/30/12 8:40am

The split is official:

McIlroy and Acushnet Co., which has supplied the 23-year-old star from Northern Ireland with Titleist and FootJoy gear since he turned pro five years ago, said Tuesday they will not extend their relationship after this year.

The announcement allows McIlroy to pursue a lucrative endorsement contract, with strong indications that he will sign with Nike in a deal that one industry observer estimated at $20 million a year. That would give Nike golf's two biggest stars in McIlroy and Tiger Woods , who has been with the swoosh since he turned pro in 1996.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/doug-ferguson/titleist-wont-renew-mcilroy-contract-after-this-year/

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow, heard rumors about this but didn't think more info would come this soon.  My question is, do any of the other top companies have the cash to compete with Nike, or is this pretty much a sure thing?  Taylormade is the only other that comes to mind, but I just don't see that happening.  I really don't know much about this stuff though, so maybe I'm overlooking something.

Originally Posted by NOVAgolfer

Wow, heard rumors about this but didn't think more info would come this soon.  My question is, do any of the other top companies have the cash to compete with Nike, or is this pretty much a sure thing?  Taylormade is the only other that comes to mind, but I just don't see that happening.  I really don't know much about this stuff though, so maybe I'm overlooking something.

TM pays so many golfers - they go for a stable and don't put their eggs into one or two baskets.

Nike will pay more -  several of their golfers lost it or are gone -- cough, cough - Anthony Kim, Duval, Leonard, et al, and non-golfers such as Lance Armstrong are gone. They need to re-invent the brand and contribute to the UK, N.Ireland, and US economy.

Welcome, Rory, to Nike.

During the match with Tiger, he asked Tiger if he could swing a Nike fairway after the 4th hole....

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

https://twitter.com/kellytilghmangc/status/263259159858921472

KellyTilghmanGC
Titleist says it's not renewing Rory McIlroy's equipment contract. Rumors rampant of lucrative Nike deal for Rory. 1+1=2?
10/30/12 8:40am

From Acushnet

Quote:

Acushnet Company, which manufactures the Titleist and FootJoy brands, and Rory McIlroy, jointly announced today that McIlroy's relationship with Acushnet will not extend beyond December 31, 2012. McIlroy has trusted Titleist and FootJoy equipment throughout his professional career that commenced as an 18-year old in September 2007.

"Our goal has been to provide Rory with the best equipment and service that would help him be the best player he could possibly be," said Wally Uihlein, Chief Executive Officer, Acushnet Company. "He has been a great ambassador for the Titleist and FootJoy brands, and in turn, we are proud of how our equipment has contributed to his success. We wish Rory all the best, both personally and professionally, going forward."

"I would like to thank Wally Uihlein and all of the tour staff and employees at Titleist and FootJoy for everything they have done for me since I turned professional in 2007,” said McIlroy. "I have enjoyed five very exciting and successful years with the company and I will always appreciate the contribution Titleist has made in helping me become the player I am today.”

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

TM pays so many golfers - they go for a stable and don't put their eggs into one or two baskets.

Nike will pay more -  several of their golfers lost it or are gone -- cough, cough - Anthony Kim, Duval, Leonard, et al, and non-golfers such as Lance Armstrong are gone. They need to re-invent the brand and contribute to the UK, N.Ireland, and US economy.

Welcome, Rory, to Nike.

During the match with Tiger, he asked Tiger if he could swing a Nike fairway after the 4th hole....

Duval? Leonard? What?

If you want recent irrlevant Nike players there are Kim (as mentioned), Paul Casey, Lucas Glover, Stephen Ames, Schwarzel (great player but a "who dat?" in the US), Carl Pettersen (sp - see Schwarzel), and Suzann Pettersen who has the potential to dominate women's golf if she could ever make any putts!!

Originally Posted by Datsyuk

Duval? Leonard? What?

If you want recent irrlevant Nike players there are Kim (as mentioned), Paul Casey, Lucas Glover, Stephen Ames, Schwarzel (great player but a "who dat?" in the US), Carl Pettersen (sp - see Schwarzel), and Suzann Pettersen who has the potential to dominate women's golf if she could ever make any putts!!

Are you a contrarian?

"Several of their golfers lost it or are gone" and "et al."

I did not know the names of their current stable - not interested, really.

Which probably tells you why they need McIlroy.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Are you a contrarian?

"Several of their golfers lost it or are gone" and "et al."

I did not know the names of their current stable - not interested, really.

Which probably tells you why they need McIlroy.

I've never associated Leonard with anything other than Ben Hogan and Duval with Titleist or even Scratch?

Edit: I just googled Duval and there are quite a few pictures of him wearing Nike hats. And Nike for his British Open win. Guess I never did follow his career. Did see his name linked to Scratch, but they're not exactly a household name either.

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Homerun for Nike

Playing devil's advocate... Is it a home run for Nike?  Does Tiger playing Nike clubs create a demand for the product?

Originally Posted by Datsyuk

Are you? I've never associated Leonard with anything other than Ben Hogan and Duval with Titleist or even Scratch?

Leonard was with Nike from about 2005-2011.  Duval was with Nike from 2001 (year he won the Open Championship) to 2009.

Saw your edit Datsyuk :-)

I don't think going to Nike hurt Leonard, he actually had a few good years with them.  I think equipment contracts or switching equipment can hurt players when the design or style is different from what they're used to.  That's part of the reason you see a lot of TaylorMade guys only using the driver and fairway.  Take a look in their bags and you'll see Titleist, Mizuno and PING irons, Ryan Palmer, Bo Van Pelt, Tim Herron.

I think where Nike can hurt guys is having to play 14 Nike clubs, I'm not sure if that's in the contract but that's what you'll see if you look in Nike player's bags.  The best deal to have imo is Mizuno or Bridgestone where you have the freedom to play what driver, putter, in some cases even the wedges you want.  Jonathan Byrd is a Mizuno guy buy also gets paid from TaylorMade and Scotty Cameron.

Mike McLoughlin

Originally Posted by mvmac

Playing devil's advocate... Is it a home run for Nike?  Does Tiger playing Nike clubs create a demand for the product?

I'm guessing your question was initially thought of in terms of clubs/equipment, right?  I'd say yes, it probably does create some demand for the clubs by people that only follow the sport or got into the sport because of Tiger.

However, I think an even bigger demand is created in terms of Nike golf apparel.  The TW collection of apparel is pretty popular, and I'm sure there is some crossover appeal from seeing the swoosh displayed by such a prominent athlete.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I'm guessing your question was initially thought of in terms of clubs/equipment, right?  I'd say yes, it probably does create some demand for the clubs by people that only follow the sport or got into the sport because of Tiger.

Yes in terms of clubs/balls.  I guess what I'm trying to get at is the effect Rory will have on actual sales.  The avid golf customer, the guy that buys a new driver every two years, will he be swayed by the fact that Rory uses the Nike so and so driver?  TaylorMade has a good chunk of the market, PING and Titleist have their loyal fans and everyone else fights for what's left.

Mike McLoughlin

My personal, anecdotal prediction is that it would impact their (Nike's) bottom line, but maybe not to the level people would expect by having the #1 golfer in the world endorsing your brand.  I think the reality is that Titleist and Taylormade will still drive a lot of the market in terms of equipment.  Taylormade's success doesn't seem to hinge on the people endorsing their product...their marketing has other appeal.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by mvmac

Signing RORS to a contract keeps Nike's brand 'fresh'... And is pretty smart as it should help prop up sales.

First, Tiger is getting old.  Second, Rory is young and very talented... He is extremely marketable around the globe.  In order to stay relevant, and grow merchandise sales, it has been found you need to attract males in the 19 to 35 range.  The reason is that they are the most likely group to spend their discretionary income on merchandise and products.

I recently heard on Colin Cowherd's ESPN radio station that this is one of the genius moves made by David Stern... To shift the NBA's focus to males within this age bracket.  By doing so, Stern helped grow merchandise sales within the NBA significantly (somewhere like 300% over the last decade)...Exceeding sales in all other sports (NFL, MLB, NHL, etc.).

This age group is the most coveted by merchandisers... And having RORS will definitely help drive interest in their brand within this age bracket... As Tiger grows older and older and becomes less of an interest on the lower half of the bracket. I view it as a succession plan - one that will help the brand continue on as Tiger grows older.

I'm guessing he will have more of an impact on apparel and ball sales.

Has any noticed which company sponsors his girlfriend? I wonder how much this played into the deal... A package deal?

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

Has any noticed which company sponsors his girlfriend? I wonder how much this played into the deal... A package deal?

I just looked her up on Google images (I know, tough work), and she's definitely sponsored by Adidas. So...? Am I missing something?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 4119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!