IGNORED

What is the most annoying guy at your course like?

Todd Ruggere
Note: This thread is 3967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We went out to play on Saturday at 1:44...two groups in front of us were two women with NO golfing experience, SHARING one bag of clubs, and hitting the ball 20 yards at a time, if that.  At one point one of the ladies said to the group waiting in the fairway "Are you guys on the same hole as us??"
Thats about the only thing I get irritated with on the course...people who just shouldn't be out there yet.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by phan52

I have to admit that I have a little of that in me. I don't apologize or curse, but I make commentary on the bad shot and why I think it happened. Of course, I say nothing at all and just admire it when I hit a good shot.

I'm working on it. I know it is a pain in the ass for some.

I don't mind it when people do this, in fact I'll occasionally do it myself somewhat subconciously. However, this guy regularly makes a big deal out of telling you why he shouldn't even be on the course, rather than just giving an assessment of the shot.

My bag:

Driver: G10 10.5* w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

3 Wood: G10 w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

18* and 21* hybrids: G10 with Pro Launch Red Stiff 

4-PW: Ping Eye 2 Irons w/ Reg GS 95 

56* and 60*: Tour-S Rustique Wedges w/ Stiff KBS Tour 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 

the guy I don't like playing with is this young, in shape early 30's guy - an avid lesson taker (which he likes to always drop the name of his teacher).      He proceeds to swing OUT OF HIS F'N SHOES & without exhaggeration, lands 10 of 15 driver shots (on a good day) 150 yards out of bounds.    He will not back it off to a reasonable tempo, no matter what.     I offered a piece of advice once about taking a more controlled swing & got the whole, "my teacher says I should swing as hard as I can and I always hit it great at my lessons, just not today on the course" ... as I land my usual 230-240 yarder in play (or at least in the 1st cut) most every time.     He's an athlete and does have a nice (looking) - instructor taught swing, but totally uncontrollable.

It's uncomfortable & our pairings always seem to be on edge as he's blowing out blood vessles swinging that hard, and I'm just plopping it out in the fairway, and enjoying my round while he's digging through his bag for another ball.     From my perspective, his game doesn't look like much fun ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We have a few, but my least favorites are the ones who complain about every single shot they hit.  I swear one of them is already complaining about the outcome of his shot at the top of his back swing.  The other is about a 30 handicapper that has advice for everyone he plays with on every one of their shots, "uhhh, you really need to roll your wrists on your driver more.  that's always worked for me". Everyone looks at him like, "if it works for you why have you hit 2 of 14 fairways today?

Originally Posted by Todd Ruggere

We all have them at our course. The guy you don't want to get paired with. We have a lot of blind draws and captains picks. He's always the last to be picked during the captains pick (even if he's playing well he will go near the end thats how much of a pain in the ass he is)

I'd like to hear peoples stories.

The guy at my course is the biggest complainer I've ever heard in my life. On probably 5 occasions after his very first swing of the day when its a bad shot he will say right on queue, "I shoulda worked today and made $2,500 instead of coming out here" . I feel like saying, "If you could have made $2,500 today and you decided to play in a round of golf you need your head examined". The entire round has to complain about the weather, the pace of play, peoples handicaps, its just awful. On top of it, every single chip shot he hits has to be a full fledged FLOP SHOT! Even if the chip cries out for a bump and run!!! Its frustrating when he's on your team and you really need him in the hole and he's hitting dumb flop shots.

I play on public courses and I'd bet that my home course has a few thousand different people play over the period of a year.  I doubt that I could pick out one person who was more annoying that 5 or 6 others. For the most part I enjoy the company of most of the people I get hooked up with.  If a person makes at least a slight effort to be friendly and has some clue how to behave on the course, then I'll usually get along just fine.  If he whines, throws temper tantrums, or hasn't a clue about etiquette, then I'm not going to like it much, and I've certainly played with those jerks on occasion.  Fortunately, those types are in a small minority.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Dave2512

The most annoying guy I know is a ranger at the home course.

Actually, a couple of the worst dillweeds I've encountered on a golf course have been cranky old guy rangers who are all full of themselves and riding a petty little power trip.  If there's no one for at least three holes behind me, and they're not catching up, then don't zoom up in your little cart and bark at me about keeping up the pace of play.  Keep your ill-tempered mouth shut and mind your own business, find someone else on the course who actually is playing too slow, or else exchange pleasantries about what a nice day it is or how the course is in nice shape.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Some days I'm the most annoying person to myself........

• Upvote 1

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

DCI Gold 3- PW(48*) + 52* Vokey wedge

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

One of the rangers is a doosh at my course but I guess the most irritating ones to me are the tourists that do not take care of the golf course. I am forever telling them to put divot mix or fixing their ball marks. I also don't like playing the handicapped guy who wears golf shoes and drags his feet torching the greens. Every damn hole. ****ing annoying and no one will say anything about recommending spikeless shoes.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

There's a player nobody likes to get paired with in league play because he's very slow. When I play a round with him I don't pause or second guess any shot and he seems to keep pace okay. I think with experience he'll get faster in league play, but for some people his reputation is permanent. Their loss because he's a really nice person and quite funny when you ge to know him.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

One of the rangers is a doosh at my course but I guess the most irritating ones to me are the tourists that do not take care of the golf course. I am forever telling them to put divot mix or fixing their ball marks. I also don't like playing the handicapped guy who wears golf shoes and drags his feet torching the greens. Every damn hole. ****ing annoying and no one will say anything about recommending spikeless shoes.

Technically not handicapped, just really bad knees and kind of a jerk as well.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

A single joined my partner and myself and this guy was insane! He kept driving up on the group in front, four really big guys I might add. After a few hole, this a-hole puts one on the green while the foursome in front of us was still on the green!! All four of these really pissed off, big guys, head back down the fairway toward us! Now, how do you let these guys know that you are really not with him, that you agree with them. Well it started, the screaming, clubs waving, while my partner and I stood there feeling like crap because we happened to be with this guy. Bad day on the course.

Originally Posted by cooke119

A single joined my partner and myself and this guy was insane! He kept driving up on the group in front, four really big guys I might add. After a few hole, this a-hole puts one on the green while the foursome in front of us was still on the green!! All four of these really pissed off, big guys, head back down the fairway toward us! Now, how do you let these guys know that you are really not with him, that you agree with them. Well it started, the screaming, clubs waving, while my partner and I stood there feeling like crap because we happened to be with this guy. Bad day on the course.

That story cracked me up.
I guess the best you could do is roll your eyes toward the offender while slowly shaking your head - giving the 4 big guys the visual cue: “I’m don’t know this clown”.

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Originally Posted by cooke119

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday

That story cracked me up.

I guess the best you could do is roll your eyes toward the offender while slowly shaking your head - giving the 4 big guys the visual cue: “I’m don’t know this clown”.

i would have taken about a half a dozen giant steps in the opposite direction of that guy...

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 3967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!