IGNORED

how to break 80.

rph23
Note: This thread is 3895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was always too focused on the score whenever I got close and it got in my head. The day I finally did it, I was focused on the match I was playing and I didn't even know that I shot 78 until the round was over. I've done it a lot since because the pressure was off.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Breaking 80 is becoming a joke for me. I have shot 80 more this season than most people do in their life. I can not get to the other side....

My driving is great, long irons great, short irons are below average at the moment ( last week I missed several greens from inside 120 yards ) and my putting is O.K.

I feel like once I break it, I will be like a Juggernaut and not look back

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

put the ball in play off the tee.  this is much more important than the short game except for putting.  avoid penalty strokes off the tee and its hard not to score better.

Colin P.

stop worrying about "80"  If you're figuring out in your mind what you need to do over the last 3,4, 5 holes to break 80...it's anti-productive. As long as you're doing the things everyone is saying in this thread...fairways, no 3putts, no penalty strokes etc...focus on one thing and one thing only. The shot you're about to play. Play one hole at a time, one shot at a time. Stop looking at the scorecard 10 times during the round. I was where many in this thread are...lot's of 81's, 82's...and I stressed myself out by the time I got to the end of the round. Now I check my score at the turn, then I check it again after 18th. Looking at it every other hole isn't going to help me in the least. You know when you're playing well...don't put extra pressure on yourself by doing calculus on the tee when you should be concentrating on splitting the fairway. After adopting this strategy...my next strong round was a 75. That was last year....this year I shot 73 and shot many rounds last year and this year in the 70s. I have my eye on par now. When I get there, it will be a nice surprise.

Well today is my sectional tournament. On the bus right now. For all of you that don't know, this is the first step to State for a high school golfer. I was told today, anything under 80 has a chance to advance. Thank you for all of the tips, I'll try the best to remember them on the course. I'm feeling only slightly confident because I've been all over the place lately. But hopefully I'll change that on the range pre-round. I'll be sure to post back here later about my results. Thanks again. Ryan

Well today is my sectional tournament. On the bus right now. For all of you that don't know, this is the first step to State for a high school golfer. I was told today, anything under 80 has a chance to advance. Thank you for all of the tips, I'll try the best to remember them on the course. I'm feeling only slightly confident because I've been all over the place lately. But hopefully I'll change that on the range pre-round. I'll be sure to post back here later about my results. Thanks again. Ryan

Have fun! Keep those big numbers off the card and you'll be fine. Remember, you can't win it all on one hole/shot...... Let us know how it goes and good luck!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Good luck...try your best to play hole by hole, shot by shot and let the scoring take care of itself...if the course is playing hard or the other competitors nervous you never know what will qualify...could be an 80, 81...

oh, and remember to verify every hole on you score card before signing it http://thesandtrap.com/t/62443/scoring-101-don-t-record-a-35-on-18#post_773861

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

That's not a bad round, under that kind of pressure!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The two common stats for rounds under 80 are;

seven greens in regulation

30 or less putts per round

Do that and you will regularly break 80.

How to reach these objectives is the hard part.  The holy grail for most amateur golfers and one I rarely find.

Lessons from a good instructor and practice, practice, practice.  Neither of which I have ever done.  Shame on me.

• Upvote 1

The easiest way for me to break 80 is to eliminate penalty shots for lost balls, hazards and or OB.  As long as I keep the ball in play - I can break 80 without issue.  On the rare occassion, I'll have a terrible putting day and have 3-putts.  But that is very rare.  So I'll add that you need to be able to chip and putt decently enough to get the ball into or close to the hole.... This will help you break 80.

Originally Posted by rph23

My high school golf season is over. Played right to my handicap, 84. Guess im going to go practice.

Playing to your index under pressure is nothing to sneeze at.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rph23

My high school golf season is over. Played right to my handicap, 84. Guess im going to go practice.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Playing to your index under pressure is nothing to sneeze at.

Yeah, but what pressure is there really if your handicap is 84?

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Originally Posted by Elvisliveson

Yeah, but what pressure is there really if your handicap is 84?

you did notice that his handicap is 12 and he shot 84....maybe not as low as he would have liked, but respectable for a high schooler under pressure.

Originally Posted by MEfree

you did notice that his handicap is 12 and he shot 84....maybe not as low as he would have liked, but respectable for a high schooler under pressure.

You did hear of something called sarcasm at one time or another, no?

My Tools of Ignorance:

You did hear of something called sarcasm at one time or another, no?

I enjoy good sarcasm as much as the next guy, but find it hard to pull off and understand on the internet (especially when I am multi-tasking)

I enjoy good sarcasm as much as the next guy, but find it hard to pull off and understand on the internet (especially when I am multi-tasking)

Look for the winking (or other) smiley, it's a dead giveaway.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Quote:

Look for the winking (or other) smiley,  it's a dead giveaway.

Speaking of sarcasm, that's winking guy is probably the most sarcastically judgmental smiley I've ever seen.  Some people use that specific smiliey quite often and I never know how to interpret what they've just said.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 3895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!