IGNORED

2012 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4210 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Justin Timberlake. WTF???????????????

The music. WTF????????????????????

The bizarre fanfare, that is. Come Together was great.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

The production is crap. They should have thought this out better. What were they thinking, a bunch of 'tweenage girls were going to show up? Everything is just odd for this type of event.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The production is crap. They should have thought this out better. What were they thinking, a bunch of 'tweenage girls were going to show up? Everything is just odd for this type of event.

Yeah. It's a bit awkward, but when is it never in golf events like this. I really don't see why they have to get the wives and girlfriends up there. I was half expecting their parents to show up. And why do they insist sticking the camera on Olazabal when the someguy was talking about Seve? Looking forward to the weekend!

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

[U]First round foursomes:[/U] [LIST=1] [*] Rory - GMac vs Furyk - Snedeker [*] Luke - Sergio vs Phil - Bradley [*] Lee - Molinari vs Dufner - Zach [*]Poulter - Rose vs Tiger - Stricker [/LIST]

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Zeph

First round foursomes:

1. Rory - GMac vs Furyk - Snedeker

2. Luke - Sergio vs Phil - Bradley

3. Lee - Molinari vs Dufner - Zach

4. Poulter - Rose vs Tiger - Stricker

Sick, just sick. This is going to be awesome!

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by Dave2512

It's the juxtaposition of the boring "tradition" that turns younger people off and at the same trying too hard to be hip. That with the marching band music and parade of bleached blonde WAGS. Truly awful.

Seriously - Justin Timberlake????????

What do Lee Janzen, Chris Riley and Robert Karlsson have in common?

All are former Ryder Cup players teeing it up this week at the Web.com' Chiquita Classic

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Justin Timberlake. WTF???????????????

The music. WTF????????????????????

The bizarre fanfare, that is. Come Together was great.

Justin Timberlake is an avid golfer, and a pretty darn good ambassador and proponent of the game. Hell, the next tournament, JT Shriners open, is hosted by and named after him. Regardless of who his main fan base may be, he is one of the more famous celebrities who does a lot for the game, so I'm not sure why you're THAT surprised he's part of this.

Originally Posted by walk18

Justin Timberlake is an avid golfer, and a pretty darn good ambassador and proponent of the game. Hell, the next tournament, JT Shriners open, is hosted by and named after him. Regardless of who his main fan base may be, he is one of the more famous celebrities who does a lot for the game, so I'm not sure why you're THAT surprised he's part of this.

They had an MC to introduce JT. It was totally superfluous, awkward, try-hard and unnecessary.

We know he plays golf and "hosts" a tournament.

My question is "Why was he given centre stage at the Ryder Cup opening ceremony?"

At least it wasn't Kenny G - another avid golfer and proponent of the game.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Interviews seem to indicate that Hunter wasn't selected because his performance was declining and DL3 wanted guys that were holding steady or improving.

My only problem with Bubby, as opposed to Hunter, is the stability required for Team Golf.  I'm sure no one on the U.S. is outwardly complaining about Bubby, and in fact probably all believe that he's a good fit for the team.  I just believe that Hunter would have been a bit more stable and has the level of play that would help the U.S. Team.

Hunter, may not have had the stats that Bubba, had this year - but Hunter also demonstrated that he was starting to me in the right direction during the FedEx Cup.  At one point during the FedEx Cup Points Season, Hunter Mahan, was at the very top of that leader board, and Bubba, was behind  him in the number two spot.

I think that when you consider Hunter's earlier play during the season, coupled with Bubba's inconsistency at all times during the season, Hunter brings a bit more stability to a Team environment.  When building a "Team" - you have to look at more structural components than just individual play during the regular season.  Hunter, would have provide some additional structure to that kind of environment.

Originally Posted by atb5079

I would have taken Harrington over Westwood. He is the most overrated golfer in the world imo and his play does not warrant him to be on that team this year.

I think you are right and for some of the same reasons why I would have selected Hunter, over Bubba.

Lee's a great player, no doubt.  But, if you look at his overall demeanor this year - especially during the FedEx Cup, he seemed very tired and very lethargic - just not very much into golf, really.  He seemed a bit aloof during post round interviews and somewhat distracted.  I just thought he was worn out at the end of a long season, after not playing particularly very well heading into the FedEx Cup.

On the other hand, Paddy, always seems engaged and connected to everything around him.  He would have brought some energy to the European Team, at a time when it will need it, having to play on U.S. soil.  His quality of play can be very high under the right conditions and I think that putting him inside a team environment, just might have been the thing required to light his fire and spark some good game out of him.

I really think that the Westwood pick is going to be one (1) of the reasons why the Europeans loose this year.   There will be many other reasons, but I just don't think Westwood, has very much more to give this season.  He looks like he needs a long vacation in the off-season.

Originally Posted by crayputter

Hmmm....strange....what other Americans are there ?

- North Americans

- South Americans

- Central Americans

- Canadian Americans.  Canada, is part of the "New World" and thus considered part of the Americas.

- Brazilian Americans, if you include part of the North Western portions of Brazil, which is also considered part of the Americas.

It means a lot to be an American.  We are a very diverse people.

Originally Posted by Fatphil

Useless tidbit of information.  Medinah in arabic translates as "city".

Funny.  I thought it translated to "Sexy Looking Golf Course."

Learn something new everyday, I guess.

I would love to have a "City" like that sitting in my back yard.  I'd play her every single day.  Courses that look like that, just inspire you to want to go out and play some Golf.

It looks like one of those "feel good" courses.

StealthTrader- have you looked at Watson`s and Mahan`s results this year?  Bubba has only been outside the top 25 three times compared to 11 finishes below 25th for Mahan.  In his last 6 events before Love made his picks, Mahan finished t48, t55, MC, MC, t39 and 70th, his worst stretch all season.

Besides, like Westwood, Bubba got in on points so it was never a Mahan instead of Watson decision.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Note: This thread is 4210 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!