IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You can use these cheater putters 3 more years whats the fuss?  thats 3 years, I bet anyone can save up $150 over 3 years for a new putter, otherwise golf should not be on the top of their hobbies list as it's not a cheap sport...

Bag:

DriverG25 or  XCG5 11.5* 3++ fairway wood

3w:  XCG6 15*

*5w: XCG6 18* (out if I bag my 3-iron)

Irons: Rocketbladez tour  3-pw(47*) (I sometimes bag the 3 iron but usually the 5w) 

Wedges:   SM-4  52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Versa #7 (white on black)

I most sincerely hope that the PGA will not decide to undertake the most ill-advised path of setting up their own set of 'rules' to play under.  If they do, they will be, by definition, no longer playing Golf, and my reason to turn on the TV to watch will float gently out the window.  If you are a member of the PGA, I would urge you to contact your organization and urge them to continue playing by the only set of rules Golf has ever had.  If you're not, you could mention it to your local club pro, who probably is a member of that organization.  I plan to.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Originally Posted by 2ironfrenzy

I can't wait for these ugly things to be illegal! I hated them from the day they came out, my only complaint is they are giving too long of a grace period!

Golf was worried about what your personal taste approved of.

Do you think sun visors are ugly and therefore should be banned?

Brandt Snedeker is losing sleep waiting hear if you approve.

• Upvote 2

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

Originally Posted by phan52

Their is a distinct difference. The putter is not anchored.

Both Arnold and Billy C putted at times with their hands wresting against their legs. Under 14-1b, this in fact, is considered anchored and would not be allowed.

Take a close look at the butt of of Casper's putter. It's resting against the underside of his prodigious paunch and never moves. When he makes his wrist stroke the putter pivots around the anchored butt of the grip-- a shorter radius version of what we see players doing today .  I believe Johnny Miller was the first to spot this trick and Casper admitted that that was what he was doing.

I point this out because during the Byron Nelson Classic coverage Nick Faldo claimed that no one who anchored his putter ever turned out to be a great putter. Obviously he wasn't aware of Casper's technique.

I don't understand that one. He's able to swing a driver and any other club in the bag at 70-100+ mph, but can't make a small putting motion? Sounds like bullshit.

As someone with a bad back I will agree with Clark. While I have no problem hitting a bucket of balls at the when I go to the putting green my back is killing me within ten min of my first putt... its a completely different posture from a full swing. In an attempt to fix the problem I've straightened my back and keep my arms straighter in my putting stance. While this helps with my back pain it certainly doesn't fix it. All that being said I don't use an anchored putter and never will but I think that its a stupid argument to say that it helps you make putts, i've made the argument before that if we are are going to outlaw something that "helps you make putts" than should we not also outlaw drivers that help you hit fairways? Or cavity back irons that help that ball get up in the air and give a tighter shot dispersion? Or mallet putters that give you more solid contact anywhere on the face? And don't get me started on the advancements in ball technology... The list can go on and on. Its a stupid rule change and it shouldn't have even been addressed.

As someone with a bad back I will agree with Clark. While I have no problem hitting a bucket of balls at the when I go to the putting green my back is killing me within ten min of my first putt... its a completely different posture from a full swing.

It's not a back problem that Clark cites. It's an anatomical defect in his arms or wrists or something.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am 5'10" and use a 35.5" putter because I was uncomfortable with a shorter putter.  My posture is upright and places very little strain on my back while putting.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by mp33 man

As someone with a bad back I will agree with Clark. While I have no problem hitting a bucket of balls at the when I go to the putting green my back is killing me within ten min of my first putt... its a completely different posture from a full swing....

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I am 5'10" and use a 35.5" putter because I was uncomfortable with a shorter putter.  My posture is upright and places very little strain on my back while putting.

I'm in the same boat with both of the above.  I'm 6'6" and while using a standard (34"-35") putter doesn't bother me during a round, it kills my back when practicing.  I bought a belly putter and tried it, but didn't see any real advantage to the anchored stroke - but I did cut it down to 39" and I now use it as a conventional putter, which allows me a much more upright (and comfortable) stance.

The anchored stroke seemed to be a slight help on very short putts, but I felt like I lost a lot of touch and distance control on longer putts.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Originally Posted by szaino

Both Arnold and Billy C putted at times with their hands wresting against their legs. Under 14-1b, this in fact, is considered anchored and would not be allowed.

How does the putter move if your hands are resting against your legs?

Originally Posted by Valvey

Take a close look at the butt of of Casper's putter. It's resting against the underside of his prodigious paunch and never moves.

Great alliteration.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Easy, you just have to shuffle your feet towards the hole really quickly as if you were doing the MC Hammer dance.

• Upvote 2

Easy, you just have to shuffle your feet towards the hole really quickly as if you were doing the MC Hammer dance.

I laughed out loud

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

My god, you are old! It's Gangnam Style 'pops!

LOL Just kidding

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Rulesman

A more comprehensive explanation

http://www.randa.org/en/RandA/~/media/RandA/Related%20Documents/2013/AnchoringExplanation.ashx

This is really, REALLY well written. Admittedly I'm biased since I've always been pro-ban, but this writeup refutes (successfully, IMO) every anti-ban argument that has been presented in this thread or anywhere else - in many cases using the same arguments almost word-for-word that the pro-ban people in this thread have been making. And many additional supporting reasons are given that I'd not thought of.

It took me two days to get enough spare time to read through the entire thing, but if any of the anti-ban people have the patience to do the same, I think there's a very good chance their opinion could be swayed.

Bill

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

It took me two days to get enough spare time to read through the entire thing, but if any of the anti-ban people have the patience to do the same, I think there's a very good chance their opinion could be swayed.

I doubt they will read it.  It was (co?) written by the ruthless R&A; bullies.

/sarcasm on the last bit.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I believe that its being blown out of proportion and that they need to really re-consider this. First i would like to state, i DO NOT use a belly putter or long putter. Since high school, i have been putting with my same Scotty for years and consider it my "bill baroo". I have tried different styles and lengths and being the height that im at (6'5") and found out that i like my Scotty and just made it a bit longer than the norm (37"). I do not think anchoring is cheating by all means, i feel whatever the player feels comfortable with they should use it. Golf is not the game of perfect and that is why i love it!! You can have the worst god damn looking swing, but if it works for you play it! I feel the same with putting. Ive tried the long putter and the belly and to me they didnt work. But for some of the guys on tour or amateur, it works wonders. To me they are making people change their game?? Thats complete load of crap! Just because they feel its "cheating" because your "anchoring", comon folks get with it. My thing is this, if its the best thing on the pro circuit and they "make everything" then why dont every pro convert to it then??? Its not like the groove change way back when, this is just a set up that certain players like and i feel for em. Thats like saying that i cant use my 47 inch driver anymore because its "too long" and i hit it "too far" and its "cheating". Each person has their own way of putting and they should keep it that way!! As i stated previously, if was such a big game changer and made the game "easier" then everyone one of the pros would go to it and would be shooting lights out!

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Great alliteration.

In the old days, they used to putt with a lot of wrist action, especially on the short putts, not like today where the pendulum motion is used.

Here is a perfect example of Bobby Jones putting in this fashion. They used to anchor their forearms against their legs and use all wrist and body turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnYXZ79nKKY

Resting par of their hand or even part of the forearm against the leg while making the stroke would now constitute anchoring.

Originally Posted by Spyder

My god, you are old! It's Gangnam Style 'pops!

LOL Just kidding

I think this might be the first time I've been called "pops."  LOL.  But, yes, you are right ... that would have been a better song to use!

Note: This thread is 2530 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!