• Announcements

    • iacas

      Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

      Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hendog

When is it time to retire the Stiff Flex/Blades for Reg Flex/Game Improvements

11 posts in this topic

Ok, I know there is no formula. Just looking for opinion.

I play stiff flex TM Blades. I am 37 (closing in on 38). Not old but not getting younger and certainly not getting MORE athletic.

Lately I've been feeling like if I had Reg Flex easier to hit irons then maybe I could swing easier and still get the same distance. Its takes quite a bit of work for me to stay on top of my game with the blades. Maybe that is an indication that I should not be hitting them in the first place.

Just curious if anyone has had a similar feeling and followed through with Reg Flex/GI irons. Lessons learned? Good decision?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Originally Posted by Jason M Henley

Ok, I know there is no formula. Just looking for opinion.

I play stiff flex TM Blades. I am 37 (closing in on 38). Not old but not getting younger and certainly not getting MORE athletic.

Lately I've been feeling like if I had Reg Flex easier to hit irons then maybe I could swing easier and still get the same distance. Its takes quite a bit of work for me to stay on top of my game with the blades. Maybe that is an indication that I should not be hitting them in the first place.

Just curious if anyone has had a similar feeling and followed through with Reg Flex/GI irons. Lessons learned? Good decision?

At your age, I don't know about the shaft flex just yet but it can't hurt to try something other than a blade.

You say you are around a 9 handicap. Was that always so, or were you closer to scratch? Because, if not, I wouldn't use a blade anyway.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by phan52

At your age, I don't know about the shaft flex just yet but it can't hurt to try something other than a blade.

You say you are around a 9 handicap. Was that always so, or were you closer to scratch? Because, if not, I wouldn't use a blade anyway.


I was around 6 but never lower. Got the blades when I was about a 12 but greatly underachieving and Club Pro who helped me get fitted agreed I should have been about half that. Errant drives were the biggest culprit there. Fixed the Driver and then blades took me down to 6 but I've slowly lost ground. If I go to range twice a week and play 1-2 times per week then I can stay around 6. From there I'm sure I could get my wedges and putter to the point where I was making more birdies and go even lower.

That last part is just conjecture though. Reality is I don't have time for the range anymore and play at most 1 time per week.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shat flex and blades/cavities are very different issues. You could be swinging it at 110mph, i.e. a stiff flex, but still need GI irons. (Obviously) match your shaft to your swing speed but after that go with what you fancy.

Have a look at what the top 10 on the world rankings play. Last time I looked it was a 50:50 split between blades and cavities.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Jason M Henley

I was around 6 but never lower. Got the blades when I was about a 12 but greatly underachieving and Club Pro who helped me get fitted agreed I should have been about half that. Errant drives were the biggest culprit there. Fixed the Driver and then blades took me down to 6 but I've slowly lost ground. If I go to range twice a week and play 1-2 times per week then I can stay around 6. From there I'm sure I could get my wedges and putter to the point where I was making more birdies and go even lower.

That last part is just conjecture though. Reality is I don't have time for the range anymore and play at most 1 time per week.

At your age, the flex shouldn't be as much an issue as the blade vs. GI. That's where I would investigate if I were you.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think age has anything to do with it (at least not until you're waaaaay past retirement age).    It really has more to do with your swing style, what you want to get out of the game, and your playing habits.        I'm 54 and went back to regular flex shafts and SGI clubs about 5 years ago because I wasn't playing much and my swing didn't have the power that it used to.    But I started playing a lot again and got into "playing shape" and now I hit the ball just as hard as I did when I was 30.   I'm back to stiff flex (borderline XS if I wanted) and playing a player's iron, and don't expect to change for a long time.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

37?? You're a pup, a spring chicken, a youngster. I'm 53, been playing blades with stiff shafts for 10 yrs now, and my ball striking is as good as ever. What holds me back from lowering my hc is the occasional miss (thin, fat, pull-hook, bladed chip, etc.), and there ain't no GI club that will correct that. As a 9 hc, you must strike the ball fairly well. Now, if you consistently miss the ball a little every time and always hit, say, a weak slice, then maybe GI clubs would help you.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Jason M Henley

Ok, I know there is no formula. Just looking for opinion.

I play stiff flex TM Blades. I am 37 (closing in on 38). Not old but not getting younger and certainly not getting MORE athletic.

Lately I've been feeling like if I had Reg Flex easier to hit irons then maybe I could swing easier and still get the same distance. Its takes quite a bit of work for me to stay on top of my game with the blades. Maybe that is an indication that I should not be hitting them in the first place.

Just curious if anyone has had a similar feeling and followed through with Reg Flex/GI irons. Lessons learned? Good decision?

My handicap has never been as low as yours, but I'll bite.  I've never used stiff flex comfortably, and I'm 6'2" and have been around 230-260 lbs most of my golfing life.  Flex isn't all about swing speed.  It can be mitigated if you have a smooth transition.  I've never been an exceptionally long hitter (although I used to be above average), or a fast swinger (95-100 was my norm in my prime), so stiff shafts have always felt more like swinging a broomstick for me, and now at nearly age 66, I'm probably getting close to that senior flex (my AP-2 irons are "R" flex steel).  I've known guys who made the decision based solely on ego... they wouldn't be caught dead using anything but a stiff or x-stiff, whether it was actually right for them or not.  If you go with graphite, there are so many option combinations for kick and flex that it becomes less of a stiff vs. regular than it is a case of just being properly fitted for your swing.

I personally don't like the true GI or SGI irons.  My AP-2 (Titleist calls them a "player's cavity"? ) are sort of a tweener, forged, but not really a blade, and not a GI cavity either.  Whatever you call them, the head is smaller than a GI but more forgiving than a blade.  I like them a lot.  Other brands have similar offerings.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Might not be necessary to go to a game improvement iron. Possible a cavity backed players iron might be a good compromise, the playability close to a blade and the forgiveness closer to a GI iron. As far as what shaft, that can only be determined during a proper fitting. Without getting fit properly the rest is a crapshoot.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Get fit to see if things have changed? Consider a mixed cb/mb set?. I recently demoed the Cleveland 588 mixed irons and was very impressed.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dak4n6

37?? You're a pup, a spring chicken, a youngster. I'm 53, been playing blades with stiff shafts for 10 yrs now, and my ball striking is as good as ever. What holds me back from lowering my hc is the occasional miss (thin, fat, pull-hook, bladed chip, etc.), and there ain't no GI club that will correct that. As a 9 hc, you must strike the ball fairly well. Now, if you consistently miss the ball a little every time and always hit, say, a weak slice, then maybe GI clubs would help you.

Sounds like you should be investigating GI clubs yourself. Hitting a blade in the sweet spot is pretty difficult for the vast majority of golfers and I would suggest that a lot of your mishits are because of the blades. You're a 9.6 and that means that you mishit shots relatively often compared to most players using blades.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • That is what I was wondering when taking the practice stroke.  If I make a mark with the practice stroke in the rough or on the fairway...is that a penalty?  Because I see people doing that all the time...but since I am looking at where my divot/brushed grass was pointing as a reference point...is that illegal?  If I wasn't using it as a reference point would that be then legal?  That seems like some murky waters.  People are touching the ground on practice strokes all the time...
    • I activated Steve Stricker for Sunday's round on a lark, and he rewarded me with the low round of the tournament. For once, I made a smart call.
    • You can't make a mark (that you don't remove) for the purpose of alignment. That is against the rules.
    •  I hate the Be Better Golf guy. He gets great guests than doesn't know to shut up and let them speak. Annoying as heck.   I was really surprised by the poor play in that video. I though tthose guys would be better. But I do give them credit for showing their bad shots. They could've only shown the good ones .
    • Got a chance to take some on course video over the weekend. I should do more of this to get a better idea of what my actual swing looks like. I still need to get a new smartphone tripod and I can start vlogging again. Angles are a little off but nothing crazy. Driver   Stance is maybe a hair on the narrow side. The swing looks better than the results would indicate. I really thought I was still getting the club past parallel and across the line. Irons/Wedge   I didn't get a face on of a full iron swing so I'm posting this flighted wedge instead. Not exactly the same thing but it will have to do for now. Big takeaway on the swing is I'm still swinging too far right with the clubhead a little underplane and too shallow. I've been having some low point issues and it seems to make sense. Miss is still on the toe and an overdraw or a push, although from watching my videos again I realized that I still aim to the right, so I think my pushes aren't even as bad as I think they are, only that I'm already lined up right of target to begin with. I'm going to have to change my pre-shot routine to incorporate better aiming. Pitching   I included the full speed video of my pitching because I wanted to look at my tempo. Still pretty Fruit-Ninja-y. Putting Figured I'd take a putting video. This was on the 18th green, after the face on video of my driver and the flighted wedge, so a mini vlog of sorts. I'm trying something out where I hold the putter with only my right hand and then hold my whole hand with my left for stability. I was playing around with distance control because I tend to leave lag putts way short and I noticed that my left hand in the double overlap grip kind of acts as a brake on the stroke. Putting the hands together lets the putterhead pendulum better under its own weight. As you can see I definitely didn't leave the first putt short and the speed on the second putt was perfect. My putting in general has improved since I've gotten adjusted to my putter modification. Aim is a lot better and I'm hitting my lines which is leading to better results on mid-length putts. I also need to read long putts better, just kind of lazy about it, but I'm leaving some second putts longer than they should be because I'm not reading the first putts and aiming properly. I do like the grip change though and I think once I get used to that, the distance control will be better. I have some thoughts on the full swing but I'll hash them out later. Maybe 
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. JJ spud
      JJ spud
      (43 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon