IGNORED

2013 Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Anyone have this stat handy? How many players in PGA Tour history have won at least 8 PGA Tour events including at least one major?

It can't be TOO many. And yet Tiger's done that at ONE COURSE.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

These events did not take place at the same course year after year, but here's the list of most wins at one event in PGA history. Sam Snead is in first with 8. The list doesn't include the 2008 US Open in Tiger's total.

Here's the list of guys with 8 career wins, including one major championship:

Roberto DiVincenzo

Steve Jones

Tony Manero

Jerry Pate

Bob Tway

Mike Weir

Lawson Little

The guys with 8 total wins and no major are:

Adam Scott

KJ Choi

Bruce Devlin

Jim Colbert

Dave Douglas

Brad Faxon

Fred Funk

Sergio Garcia

George Knudson

Ted Kroll

Ed Oliver

Loren Roberts

Chi Chi Rodriguez

JC Snead

Lee Janzen and David Graham both have 8 total wins with 2 major titles.

142 players in history have at least 8 wins on tour.

92 players in history have at least 8 wins including at least one major.

Constantine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-troop View Post

The phrase "horses for courses" implies that he's not the best golfer, he's just the best at playing those courses. I'd say that Tiger's 50 or so other wins weakens the argument slightly.

This, this 1000%.  That phrase is exactly why I took exception to the original comment.

Interesting that you guys have that take on the expression. To me it has always meant simply that some people perform better in certain areas. The first couple google hits tend to support that definition, IMO:

Quote:
The phrase stems from the fact that a racehorse performs best on a racecourse to which it is specifically suited.

Quote:
Horses for courses means that what is suitable for one person or situation might be unsuitable for another.

I.e., nothing about the phrase implies he's not the best golfer - he's just that much better than the rest of the field at certain courses. Also note that the guy who used the phrase has since said it was not meant to be critical. Given all the above, I think we're beating a dead horse here.

Bill

Originally Posted by k-troop

The phrase "horses for courses" implies that he's not the best golfer, he's just the best at playing those courses. I'd say that Tiger's 50 or so other wins weakens the argument slightly.

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Interesting that you guys have that take on the expression. To me it has always meant simply that some people perform better in certain areas. The first couple google hits tend to support that definition, IMO:

I.e., nothing about the phrase implies he's not the best golfer - he's just that much better than the rest of the field at certain courses. Also note that the guy who used the phrase has since said it was not meant to be critical. Given all the above, I think we're beating a dead horse here.

I see what you did there .

I actually had no idea what the announcers meant when they used the phrase, so thanks for bringing this up.  It's possible it has taken on a contemporary negative connotation in it's usage even if that isn't what was originally intended.  In Tiger's case, it's hard to suggest he's built for certain types of courses, since in his prime he dominated similarly on several different types of tracks and layouts.  For Tiger, I think his track record is more an indication of the PGA schedule he frequents most.  But I could be wrong because I haven't looked into it much.

Either way, I think there IS an implied negative connotation because the phrase likely suggests that you're not suited for other courses well.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

These events did not take place at the same course year after year, but here's the list of most wins at one event in PGA history. Sam Snead is in first with 8. The list doesn't include the 2008 US Open in Tiger's total.

Roberto DiVincenzo

Steve Jones

Tony Manero

Jerry Pate

Bob Tway

Mike Weir

Lawson Little

Adam Scott

KJ Choi

Bruce Devlin

Jim Colbert

Dave Douglas

Brad Faxon

Fred Funk

Sergio Garcia

George Knudson

Ted Kroll

Ed Oliver

Loren Roberts

Chi Chi Rodriguez

JC Snead

Isn't Chi Chi in the HoF?  Wow...

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Isn't Chi Chi in the HoF?  Wow...

Chi Chi had a career on the Champions Tour that dwarfed his PGA Tour career.  Multiple majors and twentysomething wins.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Roberto DiVincenzo

Steve Jones

Tony Manero

Jerry Pate

Bob Tway

Mike Weir

Lawson Little

Adam Scott

KJ Choi

Bruce Devlin

Jim Colbert

Dave Douglas

Brad Faxon

Fred Funk

Sergio Garcia

George Knudson

Ted Kroll

Ed Oliver

Loren Roberts

Chi Chi Rodriguez

JC Snead

I'm confused. You list 7 guys with 8 wins and a major, then list 14 guys with 8 wins ... implying that those are the lists.  But then you said the actual numbers are 92 and 142?  Can you clarify, cuz yo no comprendo ;).

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

... Given all the above, I think we're beating a dead horse here.

I see what you did there .

Thank you for noticing.

Bill

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Roberto DiVincenzo

Steve Jones

Tony Manero

Jerry Pate

Bob Tway

Mike Weir

Lawson Little

Adam Scott

KJ Choi

Bruce Devlin

Jim Colbert

Dave Douglas

Brad Faxon

Fred Funk

Sergio Garcia

George Knudson

Ted Kroll

Ed Oliver

Loren Roberts

Chi Chi Rodriguez

JC Snead

I'm confused.  You list 7 guys with 8 wins and a major, then list 14 guys with 8 wins ... implying that those are the lists.  But then you said the actual numbers are 92 and 142?  Can you clarify, cuz yo no comprendo ;).

There are 7 guys sitting on exactly 8 wins and a major. There are 14 guys sitting on exactly 8 wins and no major. But there are 142 guys who have at least 8 wins, and there are 92 guys who have at least 8 wins and 1 major.

Constantine

There are 7 guys sitting on exactly 8 wins and a major. There are 14 guys sitting on exactly 8 wins and no major. But there are 142 guys who have at least 8 wins, and there are 92 guys who have at least 8 wins and 1 major.

Ah, OK.  I get it now.  Thank you sir!  (Those numbers are a lot higher than I would have guessed)

Originally Posted by k-troop

Chi Chi had a career on the Champions Tour that dwarfed his PGA Tour career.  Multiple majors and twentysomething wins.

So guys are eligible for the Hall of Fame at age 40.  But we are going to induct guys into the HoF based on their Champions Tour dominance?  Makes sense.

So guys are eligible for the Hall of Fame at age 40.  But we are going to induct guys into the HoF based on their Champions Tour dominance?  Makes sense.

I think you're being sarcastic here ... but it actually makes perfect sense to me.  It's not the "PGA Tour" hall of fame, right?  It's the World Golf Hall Of Fame.  So anybody who accomplishes great things in the World of gold, be it on the PGA tour, the Champions tour, the European tour, even lifelong amateurs, and probably course designers, announcers, commissioners, equipment innovators, a million other things, are probably alll eligible and worthy of consideration, wouldn't you say?

I think you're being sarcastic here ... but it actually makes perfect sense to me.  It's not the "PGA Tour" hall of fame, right?  It's the World Golf Hall Of Fame.  So anybody who accomplishes great things in the World of gold, be it on the PGA tour, the Champions tour, the European tour, even lifelong amateurs, and probably course designers, announcers, commissioners, equipment innovators, a million other things, are probably alll eligible and worthy of consideration, wouldn't you say?

I'm being facetious... People were belly aching last year about Freddy Couples being inducted over his 'career' accomplishments.  And just think it is funny that a guy like Chi Chi - who had half the success Freddy had on the PGA, was inducted.

I wonder if I can get inducted into the World of Gold?

I'm being facetious... People were belly aching last year about Freddy Couples being inducted over his 'career' accomplishments.  And just think it is funny that a guy like Chi Chi - who had half the success Freddy had on the PGA, was inducted.

LOL, whoops.  (Can't even use the iphone excuse or anything ... just dumb) :)

Quote:

I believe that it is also Chi Chi's contributions to the Hispanic community (and of course, his home of Puerto Rico) that earned him a spot in the WGHOF. He is the first Puerto Rican to be inducted, and there is no question he has played a pivotal role in growing the game.

Constantine

And he had that really cool swordplay when he made a good shot!  He was fun to watch.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 4106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!