• Announcements

    • iacas

      GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

      Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
deekay

Pulling short irons.

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I generally don't hit big hooks or slices, but over the last few months I have had a problem with pulling my short irons. On a 120 yard shot I will often be up to about 20 yards left of target about 70 percent of the time. With a straight ball flight.

The irritating thing is that it doesn't happen 100 percent of the time, so I don't really know how to align myself when lining up with a short iron approach shot. I am afraid that lining up to the right, and playing for the pull, will introduce swing path issues which could lead to a slice. Combine that with aiming to the right to start with and my ball will probably disappear into next week!

I am assuming that I come a little over-the-top with the shorter irons, so would aiming parallel left and opening the face a bit (to try to hit a pull-fade back onto target) help? Or is there another way?

It's the uncertainty at set-up which messes with my head, with predictable results (for a high handicapper!)

Any comments would be appreciated.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

What's your ball flight for your stock 6 iron shot?

If you normally play a fade that starts left and fades back to target, you could be pulling all your clubs. The longer clubs will actually fade back toward the target, but the short irons could be going straight left. Because of the higher loft on your short clubs, they don't move side-to-side in the air as much as the longer clubs. Just a thought.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check your lie angles.  With the shorter (higher loft) clubs, a lie angle too upright will cause the ball to start left.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

apart from the obvious that has been stated above, just watch your ball position, it may be too far forward for the short irons.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by minitour

Check your lie angles.  With the shorter (higher loft) clubs, a lie angle too upright will cause the ball to start left.

While this is true, it probably isn't bad enough to cause a 20 yard miss. Check out this thread for some interesting info on the effects of wrong lie angles.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the pull is caused by an out to in swing with a closed face. I stand to be corrected.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Tenerife

I believe the pull is caused by an out to in swing with a closed face. I stand to be corrected.

If you mean closed to the target (ie. pointing left of the target for a right hander) but square to the swing path, then yes you're correct.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Mordan

If you mean closed to the target (ie. pointing left of the target for a right hander) but square to the swing path, then yes you're correct.

Yes that's the one, thanks :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by notsohard

apart from the obvious that has been stated above, just watch your ball position, it may be too far forward for the short irons.


Thanks notsohard,

I think you may have helped me here. I address the ball with my feet flared slightly open, and I notice that in that position my hands on the club obscure my left heel. It's very easy then for me to use the toe of my shoe as my reference point (which would work if my feet were square to the target line) and think the ball is positioned well inside the left heel when in fact it's much further forward, perhaps opposite my instep.

This must surely be a common optical effect at set-up, so how do better players judge their ball position?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I pull my short irons it's almost always that my alignment with my shoulders or hips are open.

To help your setup, develop a routine that no matter what, you stick to. For me, I mimick Jack Nicklaus and align the clubface to a spot a few feet on my target line then align myself parallel to it. It helps me consistently put the ball position where I need it and keep my hips and shoulders square.

Good luck.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A guy taking a lesson just ahead of mine was having trouble with his short irons. The pro told him he was overswinging on his takeaway. Trimming his backswing seemed to straighten it out. Just a thought.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by deekay

Hi all,

I generally don't hit big hooks or slices, but over the last few months I have had a problem with pulling my short irons. On a 120 yard shot I will often be up to about 20 yards left of target about 70 percent of the time. With a straight ball flight.

The irritating thing is that it doesn't happen 100 percent of the time, so I don't really know how to align myself when lining up with a short iron approach shot. I am afraid that lining up to the right, and playing for the pull, will introduce swing path issues which could lead to a slice. Combine that with aiming to the right to start with and my ball will probably disappear into next week!

I am assuming that I come a little over-the-top with the shorter irons, so would aiming parallel left and opening the face a bit (to try to hit a pull-fade back onto target) help? Or is there another way?

It's the uncertainty at set-up which messes with my head, with predictable results (for a high handicapper!)

Any comments would be appreciated.


You may be pulling the ball left because your trying to swing to hard. I do this sometimes trying to get backspin on the ball. So maybe try to hit a nice and easy flowing shot and not try to smash it. If your not doing this the only other thing I could recommend would be chocking up on grip a little. This would help with hitting a straighter shot but you would lose a little distance because of it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all,

Thanks for the comments. One can read all the instruction books and articles one wants to but nothing beats hearing how experienced golfers have practically overcome an issue you may be battling with. Keep them coming!

Given that the swing is basically a rotational movement around your body, I tend to feel I may have an inconsistent ball position problem. This brings me back to my question as to how better golfers check or establish their ball position.The often recommended routine is to square the club face behind the ball and then step into your address position. But how do you step into the same position consistently if your hands are now obscuring particularly your left foot, as this is generally quoted as the reference point?

Is there another reference point to use? Or can one only practice set-up with alignment sticks and then do your best to imprint that picture on your memory for when you are on the course?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by deekay

Hello all,

Thanks for the comments. One can read all the instruction books and articles one wants to but nothing beats hearing how experienced golfers have practically overcome an issue you may be battling with. Keep them coming!

Given that the swing is basically a rotational movement around your body, I tend to feel I may have an inconsistent ball position problem. This brings me back to my question as to how better golfers check or establish their ball position.The often recommended routine is to square the club face behind the ball and then step into your address position. But how do you step into the same position consistently if your hands are now obscuring particularly your left foot, as this is generally quoted as the reference point?

Is there another reference point to use? Or can one only practice set-up with alignment sticks and then do your best to imprint that picture on your memory for when you are on the course?

Hi, deekay,

Read Lee Trevino on this subject---I have found what he said to be spot on.  He maintains that short irons are made too upright in lie, as there is a natural tendency to pull them, because the hip action is slower when swinging softly, as with these clubs, Conversely, he says that with long irons, the hip action is much faster, so there is a tendency to cut the ball.  With this in mind, he had his mid irons (4,5,6) at standard lie (whatever that might mean !), and his long irons progressively more upright, with the 4 one degree upright, the 3 two degrees upright and the 2 iron three degrees upright. At the other end of the set, he had them the other way, with the 7 iron one degree flat, the 8 two degrees flat, the 9 iron three degrees flat and the wedges four degrees flat.  He advised Jack Nicklaus to flatten the lies of his wedges as he felt this was the only slightly 'weak' area of his otherwise superb game, and he took Lee's advice..

I have adopted the same method as Trevino, and it has immeasurably improved my iron play.    Get your pro to flatten the lie of whichever of your short irons has given most trouble, and I think you'll be delighted to find that  swing changes are unnecessary, and you'll be "converted", as I was. If you find that to be the case,you can then have your whole set "doctored".

Best wishes.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by minitour

Check your lie angles.  With the shorter (higher loft) clubs, a lie angle too upright will cause the ball to start left.

Hi, minitour,

Yes.   Lee Trevino advocated having the mid irons at "standard" lie, and the long irons progressively more upright, whilst he had the short irons progressively flatter.  He said the hips move fast with the harder swing on long irons, making a tendency to cut the shot, but slower hip action with the short irons, making a tendency to pull them.

I adopted this myself thirty years ago and vastly improved my iron play overnight.

Most pros seem to think I'm mad when I have asked them to alter lies in this way, but are quickly converted when they see the amazing benefit.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • From this, it actually looks like he gets the club back on plane through impact. This is wild.
    • That's an exaggeration. He's obviously shown that he has the potential to compete but he struggles with consistency month to month. I think everyone who watches golf underestimates just how rare it is to have back to back seasons as the likes of Tiger, Jack, or Arnold- especially in a field as talented as it is in 2016. I'm a huge believer that these past few seasons have been some of the best tour golf ever played in the history of the game, especially when it's looked at in terms of depth. Week to week, it's really anyone's tournament to take, and it hasn't always been like that.
    • Trump paying out the $1M to a wealthy individual is a non-story.  The entire story is a non-story, I haven't seen it mentioned on any of the news channels and beyond a cut and paste no one else is covering it.  If this was something the democrats or liberal media really thought could hurt Trump we'd be hearing about it constantly.  No one cares when rich guys get into a dispute, there's no damage control to be done here. The real reason it's even in the news is because Trump's charity (not his golf course) paid out money to Greenberg's charity and it was a potential inappropriate use of the charity funds.  
      I'm guessing those that voted Trump should pay are basing this off their general dislike for Trump or his platform as a POTUS candidate.  Anyone who read the facts and didn't have a bias against Trump would conclude paying off Greenberg was not Trump's responsibility.  
    • Genetics definitely play a role, but not as much as people think. If you have a 6 foot frame to work with from the get-go, you will obviously be able to make a bigger swing with less effort than someone who stands 5 feet tall with shorter arms. A bigger swing path = more time to gain momentum through impact. This is where technique and flexibility come into play, though. Having a large frame/swing only correlates to distance if you can do two things, 1) swing at a high rate of speed through the slot, 2) maintain a square club face on impact. I am not a tall or big person by any means, but I gain a lot of my strokes by being able to hit a wedge or low iron into the majority of holes I play. The biggest adjustment to my game that I made in order to hit the long ball has been working on my shoulder flexibility as well as timing my hip turn. If you are a smaller person and want to improve distance, you should first make sure you are able to hit the ball squarely, but after, elongate the path of your lead arm without compromising your spine alignment and swing plane. It definitely isn't something that happens in one range session as it oftentimes takes multiple seasons in order to find 15-25 yards from the tee. But genetics definitely are not the only thing that factor into hitting big drives, I would say it is much more contingent on technique and timing than anything else.  
    • Actually it is not. It's taking something that people will perceive is bad associated with you, your brands and your business as Trump and making sure it doesn't affect you negatively. People saying it's not his fault and would be bad business are failing to see the big picture. He generates so much money off of his name and reputation and brand that if something is associated with him negatively, wrong or right, it could have already cost him far more than a million dollars of revenue or EBITDA.  And this was another executive  not sure I want the word on street to be that I didn't make good for another CEO. It's the same reason why when Chik Fil A made a statement about gay marriage they also were outside handing out free bottles of water to protesters. And their sales went even higher!  They controlled the message and paid for it and what happened?  They came out winners. There are multiple examples of this in business. That's why I disagree with @iacasand with @newtogolf  And apparently over 70 percent of the voters on this poll agree.  Ultimately we can have our own opinions on it and that's mine. 
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Dresilved
      Dresilved
      (51 years old)
    2. kpetrina
      kpetrina
      (24 years old)
    3. Luana
      Luana
      (38 years old)
  • Blog Entries