IGNORED

My Swing (cipher)

cipher
Note: This thread is 877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by cipher

In trying to get my right hand stronger I am considering switching to the Vardon grip from interlocking.  I think I have smaller hands...tip of middle finger to base of palm is 7".  For some reason I find it easier for me to have a stronger right hand and more unified hands overall in pressure point #1.  The problem is that I really don't like how the Vardon grip feels with a glove.  I am not sure I want to go down that road of no glove blisters yet our not.   Does anyone who uses the Vardon grip find no glove to feel better than with one?  If I were to switch to no glove would I be better to put a softer mid size grip on my club?

I don't use a glove and use a Vardon grip.  Good pic of pp#3, and the left thumb, not my hands.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mvmac

I don't use a glove and use a Vardon grip.  Good pic of pp#3, and the left thumb, not my hands.

Cool, thanks for sharing.  I put and order in for the Pure P2 wraps with Erik.  I think I will like those with trying to go glove-less.  It is often wet, and humid here in sconieville.  With my smaller hands I feel the Vardon grip helps keeps me from letting my right hand too weak.   I tried it at the range yesterday after filming and noticing my right hand weakening again, and my swing and was much more consistent with my grip and ball striking.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Got my first evolvr video back from James, after signing back up again.  I am pumped to start working on things.  It was a great lesson.  The hardest thing for me is going to be my right elbow in the downswing.  It is so hard for me to get it in a good position.  We will see how I can do though.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

Got my first evolvr video back from James, after signing back up again.  I am pumped to start working on things.  It was a great lesson.  The hardest thing for me is going to be my right elbow in the downswing.  It is so hard for me to get it in a good position.  We will see how I can do though.

This would be a decent example of how to practice it.  Lots of reps.

Mike McLoughlin

This would be a decent example of how to practice it.  Lots of reps.

So true, understanding something can be relatively easy. The hard part is having the dedication and determination to train your mind an body to do it. I know though that if I can get unstuck at the bottom, that this will be huge.

Nate

A few stats just for fun at the end of each year.  FYI two years ago I set out with a lofty goal to become scratch in five years.  Here is my progress so far.  We are now starting year three.  Started at about a 15-16 in 2011.

YEARS FIR GIR PPR UD AVG INDEX
2011 46% 33% 32 N/A 82.8 6.2
2012 70% 44% 31.1 44% 79.4 4.5

UD = Greenside Up and Down only, within 20 yards of the green.

Nate

Dumb question time.  Maybe someone could let me know what they think?  I feel that one of my swing flaws leading to the trailing elbow getting stuck behind in the down swing could be that the trailing arm is an overly active component in adding speed.  Would a felling more of pulling the club with the leading arm soften, and help get the trailing elbow into a more forward positing earlier in the downswing? I tried to find references to pulling vs pushing the club through the downswing but had no luck.

Nate

• Administrator

Dumb question time.  Maybe someone could let me know what they think?  I feel that one of my swing flaws leading to the trailing elbow getting stuck behind in the down swing could be that the trailing arm is an overly active component in adding speed.  Would a felling more of pulling the club with the leading arm soften, and help get the trailing elbow into a more forward positing earlier in the downswing? I tried to find references to pulling vs pushing the club through the downswing but had no luck.

Did you just get an evolvr on this stuff? :)

You both push and pull in the downswing. Every two-armed golfer has. Feels may vary, but you don't have an arm just hanging out doing nothing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Did you just get an evolvr on this stuff? :)

You both push and pull in the downswing. Every two-armed golfer has. Feels may vary, but you don't have an arm just hanging out doing nothing.

Yeah I got one Wednesday on the trailing elbow position and my sky rocketing left hip. I think there might be a communication issue between James and I, he speaks some kind of Britanglish and I speak Merican.

Just frustrated mainly, with my inability to do this correctly so far.  As you say, feel ain't real, but I think I need slightly more of a pull feeling, because it feels more like my left arm is a passive guide right now.

Nate

• Administrator

Just frustrated mainly, with my inability to do this correctly so far.  As you say, feel ain't real, but I think I need slightly more of a pull feeling, because it feels more like my left arm is a passive guide right now.

You got it on Wednesday. It's Friday.

I've been working on a similar piece in my swing (it gets better all the time) since 2011. :)

Practice properly. And don't expect it to suddenly be different. Do it at 25% speed until you can do it every time, then do it at 30% speed...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah ... patience is all that's required.  I am probably on a pace of a lesson every 2 1/2 to 3 weeks or so, but by no means does that mean that I've figured out everything from the previous lesson.  Not even close.  I get a lesson from James, work on it for awhile, and will send him my next video when

a) I think I've figured it out and am "ready" for something more.

b) I am thoroughly confused and am looking for a different feel or different explanation on how to accomplish it.

c) Its been several weeks since my last submission. :)

I've been working on a similar piece in my swing (it gets better all the time) since 2011. :)

Practice properly. And don't expect it to suddenly be different. Do it at 25% speed until you can do it every time, then do it at 30% speed...

I know but I am a bit hard on myself.  He did talk to me about it last fall as well, but I ran out of weather to work on it, and did not want to ask any questions when I was not enrolled.  When I play in the qualifier in July I know that James will have me in a pretty good spot, but the biggest battle with be believing I belong there.  I think slowly practicing the move and then increasing the speed is a great thought.  I will try that.  I promise to try to be patient.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Yeah ... patience is all that's required.  I am probably on a pace of a lesson every 2 1/2 to 3 weeks or so, but by no means does that mean that I've figured out everything from the previous lesson.  Not even close.  I get a lesson from James, work on it for awhile, and will send him my next video when

b) I am thoroughly confused and am looking for a different feel or different explanation on how to accomplish it.

I think I am to this stage as well were it takes a lot of time and effort to train yourself these subtle little nuances.   I know I can never put down the clubs again for a couple months like I did this winter.  I need to constantly be thinking a working on all these things even if I cannot get to a facility much in the winter.  Cool to see that you take that much time though in working on it and getting a video back to James.  I think that in the long run this sort of patience is really going to pay off for you.

Nate

That's perfect Drew, that's exactly how Evolvr is meant to be used and why there is the flexibility to upload 4 times a month.  Not necessary or even encouraged to use it that frequently but it's kind there in case of emergency ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Epic fail on keeping the elbows together.  Right elbow still is stuck.  See the photo below at "P6" I think?  So frustrating, but I will get there.  I need a lot more practice.  Doing better though loading into the left hip and leg.  Had about five shanks throughout the bucket doing this though.  Kept with it and the shanks stopped.  With moving my centers forward in the downswing I realized I had to get the arms going down faster and also took them down a bit closer on my body line.  That seemed to help and really, hit some nice shots doing that.  I was at carrying it right to the 150 pin in 25 degree weather, so I am happy with that.  That is as far as I was hitting it in 80 degree weather last year.   Still very frustrated with the elbow.  Tried the 3W off the deck for a few swings as well and hit some nasty slam hooks until I got the arms moving faster as well.

The video kind of shows how I am trying to work on these felling.  Still just really struggling with keeping the elbows together.  It is just hard to feel that in a swing for me.  Trying to feel the right elbow tucking in and PP#5 through the swing.  Anyway we will see what Sir James has to say.

Nate

Anyway we will see what Sir James has to say.

Should we start a thread on how obnoxious he is ... insisting that we refer to him as 'Sir' all the time?

Epic fail on keeping the elbows together.  Right elbow still is stuck.  See the photo below at "P6" I think?  So frustrating, but I will get there.

I'm gonna be the annoying guy who just keeps preaching patience. :)  I also have had a lot of trouble with the elbows, to the point where James and I have actually moved on to other things.  I still work on it in conjunction with everything else, but its not currently the priority.  (Well, it wasn't the last couple of time, but I'm putting in another video today ... who knows?)

You'll get there!

Should we start a thread on how obnoxious he is ... insisting that we refer to him as 'Sir' all the time?

I'm gonna be the annoying guy who just keeps preaching patience. :)  I also have had a lot of trouble with the elbows, to the point where James and I have actually moved on to other things.  I still work on it in conjunction with everything else, but its not currently the priority.  (Well, it wasn't the last couple of time, but I'm putting in another video today ... who knows?)

You'll get there!

Yeah we should start a thread on that, the guy is just...brutal!

Trying to be patient. I was actually more encouraged by what I saw and felt in my swing today than the discouraging things I know like my right elbow, so that is good.  Like you say, we will get there.  Good luck on your uploads as well.

Nate

Practice swings just have to be done much slower, like 5x slower

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Even if James doesn't mention the elbows, what he's recommending is probably tied to getting them better

Mike McLoughlin

Originally Posted by mvmac

Practice swings just have to be done much slower, like 5x slower

Thanks Mike, I will work on that.

Nate

Note: This thread is 877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!