IGNORED

My Swing (cipher)

cipher

Question for you. When you try to make these changes to your driver swing, does it mess with your iron swing at all?

Not when your as good as Nate. :banana:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Try to be a little more "slumpy" (just a little) with the driver, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Time for the slouching tiger.

#SlouchingTiger

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

From the first vid to this last one, your hands are above your shoulder when you are back. This is good. You could be higher. There is a natural groove there where everything works nicely. You may want to try to finish waay left and high. Your attention is to the target and you slow down the finish because of passing your mental target line. Dont get sucked in by that. There are yards in that finish to let out.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Question for you. When you try to make these changes to your driver swing, does it mess with your iron swing at all?

Not that I am aware of.  I'm purty dumb like that.

Not when your as good as Nate.

Nah, I am NFG.  ;)

Try to be a little more "slumpy" (just a little) with the driver, too.

Will do.

From the first vid to this last one, your hands are above your shoulder when you are back. This is good. You could be higher. There is a natural groove there where everything works nicely. You may want to try to finish waay left and high. Your attention is to the target and you slow down the finish because of passing your mental target line. Dont get sucked in by that. There are yards in that finish to let out.

aaahhhhh...natural groove, don't get sucked in to mental target line, the "longest yard" is in the finish,  and let it out. I think I got it...I think...insert cricket noise.

Nate

:tmade:(10.5) :pxg:(4W/7W) MIURA(3-PW) :mizuno:(50/54/60) 

I think I am following what you are saying now.  It makes sense.  I am not sure I can get the hands higher going back, but I have been trying to.  I assume with the finish you are talking about a Zach type finish.  Anyway good stuff, I think I follow, and I think that is right on with the slowing of the finish.

Nate

[QUOTE name="trickyputt" url="/t/65114/my-swing-cipher/792#post_1014735"] From the first vid to this last one, your hands are above your shoulder when you are back. This is good. You could be higher . There is a natural groove there where everything works nicely. You may want to try to finish waay left and high . Your attention is to the target and you slow down the finish because of passing your mental target line. Dont get sucked in by that. There are yards in that finish to let out.[/QUOTE] I think I am following what you are saying now.  It makes sense.  I am not sure I can get the hands higher going back, but I have been trying to.  I assume with the finish you are talking about a Zach type finish.  Anyway good stuff, I think I follow, and I think that is right on with the slowing of the finish.

Cool. One detail though and its a big one. Body type. Do not try to emulate those who have a different body type than you. Filter by physical description and you will find nuances that work better for you. Me? I feel like I should follow the Smallrus, but I am not that heavy actually. I posted in another thread a link to ernie els, because his Body and swing were more like the OP than say some skinny waisted fellow like Adam Scott.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

• Administrator
Cool. One detail though and its a big one. Body type. Do not try to emulate those who have a different body type than you. Filter by physical description and you will find nuances that work better for you. Me? I feel like I should follow the Smallrus, but I am not that heavy actually. I posted in another thread a link to ernie els, because his Body and swing were more like the OP than say some skinny waisted fellow like Adam Scott.

That's often a bogus way to look at things. There are guys with all types of bodies and all types of swings.

I attended a seminar (I was speaking in the afternoon) and the guy said barrel chested guys couldn't play draws. Meanwhile I'm standing beside Dave, a barrel chested guy who plays a draw as his stock shot. Never mind Carl Petterson, etc.

I think @cipher is heading in the right direction.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

His swing looks better than mine. There are choices we allow into our thinking boxes, and those we do not for whatever reason. Below is an example of a good player I could not emulate.

Tom R.

That's often a bogus way to look at things. There are guys with all types of bodies and all types of swings.

I attended a seminar (I was speaking in the afternoon) and the guy said barrel chested guys couldn't play draws. Meanwhile I'm standing beside Dave, a barrel chested guy who plays a draw as his stock shot. Never mind Carl Petterson, etc.

I think @cipher is heading in the right direction.

Yeah I am not going to worry about that kind of stuff.

So my mind is officially blown right now. :-P I just had the best range session I have had in a month or two.  This one does not make sense to me, and to be honest I don't give a darn at this point.

It seems no matter what I have tried I have still been hitting the ball low and still been hooking the ball.  I hit a huge bucket of balls this morning and tried a bunch of things.  I figured I would try some different grips as well.  No matter what, I just can't swing the club with anything but a strong left hand grip.  I have been trying to get the right hand more on top this year.  The strange thing is the weaker my right hand the more I tend to hit the low hook.  Today I decided to go back to my old grip where the right hand is much "stronger", it feels much more under.  The results: much higher with every club and am able to hit fades with the driver and 3 wood.  I have not even been able to hit the 3 wood off the ground for the past month. :8) With the under right hand grip I was hitting the 3w high with a little fade, I could also draw it if I wanted to.  Same with the driver.  I have not been able to hit shots like this in a long time.   My iron shots were higher, with less of a tendency to overdraw.  I have no idea why the right hand more under helps me match up the path/face better, but it does for me.  And like I said right now, I don't really care.  Just very happy to be able to hit shots like this again.

Grip change:

Nate

Yeah I am not going to worry about that kind of stuff.

So my mind is officially blown right now.  I just had the best range session I have had in a month or two.  This one does not make sense to me, and to be honest I don't give a darn at this point.

It seems no matter what I have tried I have still been hitting the ball low and still been hooking the ball.  I hit a huge bucket of balls this morning and tried a bunch of things.  I figured I would try some different grips as well.  No matter what, I just can't swing the club with anything but a strong left hand grip.  I have been trying to get the right hand more on top this year.  The strange thing is the weaker my right hand the more I tend to hit the low hook.  Today I decided to go back to my old grip where the right hand is much "stronger", it feels much more under.  The results: much higher with every club and am able to hit fades with the driver and 3 wood.  I have not even been able to hit the 3 wood off the ground for the past month.    With the under right hand grip I was hitting the 3w high with a little fade, I could also draw it if I wanted to.  Same with the driver.  I have not been able to hit shots like this in a long time.   My iron shots were higher, with less of a tendency to overdraw.

Weird that you said that because I'm having what seems to be the same problem this year (and it's not a problem I would have expected). I haven't played enough to try many things out as a fix.

Maybe next time out I'll try going back to the very strong right hand grip I always played with.

Can't hurt to try because I don't think I could hit my driver much worse.

Fairway woods are okay except that I can't hit a fade as well as I used to (and pretty much no chance of hitting a slice that I can control).

• Administrator

Makes sense, @cipher : Zach Johnson type pattern.

People with strong grips tend to "hold off" the face a bit. People with weak grips tend to roll it (they have to) more.

Makes sense, @cipher: Zach Johnson type pattern.

People with strong grips tend to "hold off" the face a bit. People with weak grips tend to roll it (they have to) more.

That is very interesting(it kind of defies what I have always thought), but it does seem to hold off the face from turning over for me so often.  As long as you guys are okay with it I will roll with that grip.  I am very happy though to have figured this out.

Weird that you said that because I'm having what seems to be the same problem this year (and it's not a problem I would have expected). I haven't played enough to try many things out as a fix.

Maybe next time out I'll try going back to the very strong right hand grip I always played with.

Can't hurt to try because I don't think I could hit my driver much worse.

Fairway woods are okay except that I can't hit a fade as well as I used to (and pretty much no chance of hitting a slice that I can control).

Try it and see what happens.  Let me know as well.

Nate

I have been playing a bit better lately.  Much less for hooks but stil dealing with it some.  Vlog from this morning, shot a 40.  I could have scored better but this nine is just stupid.  I was frustrated on the third hole and hooked my tee shot on the par five for a penalty stroke.

Nate

What makes you not like that 9? Which one is it?

The three holes through the trees, and the two holes with the crazy greens. Callow.

Nate

Nice.

You make nice vlogs @cipher .

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II