IGNORED

My Edel Putter Fitting

Note: This thread is 2424 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tristan, thanks for this post!  Sounds like you had an excellent experience, and I hope the Edel putter helps you shave a few strokes off your scoring average.

About SDGI... I've met Jack from the Aimpoint session Erik and Dave hosted last Summer here in Socal, and also talked to him at the Waite/Mayo clinic held at SDGI last Spring.  He is a gentleman.  And while I haven't had an Edel fitting yet, when I do, I'll be using SDGI for sure as they seem like good people.

Tristan, a few questions for you...  What is the lead-time from Edel to get the putter shipped to you?  Like 4 weeks??  Just curious.

Lastly, does Edel offer any different finishes on their putter heads?  For instance a 'black' finish like some of the Scotty putters?  While I like the fitting process, I'd like to see something a little more aesthetically pleasing.  And if I'm going to drop the cash on a custom putter/fitting... I'd be willing to drop even more cash if I could have it tricked out so that it was a 'one of a kind'.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

About SDGI... I've met Jack from the Aimpoint session Erik and Dave hosted last Summer here in Socal, and also talked to him at the Waite/Mayo clinic held at SDGI last Spring.  He is a gentleman.  And while I haven't had an Edel fitting yet, when I do, I'll be using SDGI for sure as they seem like good people.

Be careful though ... they have some sketchy characters that like to hang around that place sometimes.  That "Mike" guy (if that's his real name) ... watch out for him!!

Seriously though ... I have also met Jack and concur with Shawn's assessment.  Nothing at all against the guys/gals at Long Beach, since I don't know who they are, and they are quite possibly wonderful, but when my time comes (I'm thinking birthday/anniversary/hanakkah/christmas all bundled into one gift this fall) I'm making the trip down south. :)

• Administrator
Lastly, does Edel offer any different finishes on their putter heads?  For instance a 'black' finish like some of the Scotty putters?  While I like the fitting process, I'd like to see something a little more aesthetically pleasing.  And if I'm going to drop the cash on a custom putter/fitting... I'd be willing to drop even more cash if I could have it tricked out so that it was a 'one of a kind'.

They offer custom paint fills, and stamping, but not different finishes: that would invalidate the entire process for most people. You will aim a putter with a different color scheme differently than you will a putter with a silver finish and black dots or lines.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

They offer custom paint fills, and stamping, but not different finishes: that would invalidate the entire process for most people. You will aim a putter with a different color scheme differently than you will a putter with a silver finish and black dots or lines.

Really? I never would have thought that finish was much more than aesthetics. Is there a rule of thumb as to how aiming would change moving from one type of finish to another? Something that I could/should consider if I were to fall in love with something in a different finish from what I'm using now?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
Originally Posted by David in FL

Is there a rule of thumb as to how aiming would change moving from one type of finish to another? Something that I could/should consider if I were to fall in love with something in a different finish from what I'm using now?

No.

It changes what your eyes and mind will focus on a little and use - without you even thinking about it or knowing it very much - to help you aim.

There are guidelines for the way a hosel, for example, will tend to change the way someone perceives something, but there's still something like a 33% exception rate and I'd imagine it's closer to a toss-up with something like "another finish."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

No.

It changes what your eyes and mind will focus on a little and use - without you even thinking about it or knowing it very much - to help you aim.

There are guidelines for the way a hosel, for example, will tend to change the way someone perceives something, but there's still something like a 33% exception rate and I'd imagine it's closer to a toss-up with something like "another finish."

Yup... as far as the hosels and head shapes go, Sheri said that certain ones tend to have a golfer aiming more right or more left but it's not always the case and that I was actually "backwards" from what they typically see.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by iacas

Yeah, makes sense.  I guess it would be cool if they offered those finishes during the fitting process...

I took a few art classes in collage go figure easy A, Color will change how you look at something and how you focus. Most men see in shades or Grey, blacks and whites. With a lot of men that are color blind it really does not matter. But if your not, your eyes focus on a color will determine how you aim or what you focus on or in some case not focus on like a white ball. Many painters will use colors that they want you to focus on to get the whole picture. I would think that would be the case with your putter, or now even the drivers that are coming out, Cobra or TM with all the different colors and strips.

I have been looking at 3 woods, I like Cobra thought the colors were cool until I tried them. All I can focus on is the head of the club not the ball. Even the white shafts on the new Callaway are very distracting to me.

I would think that if you had the color options at the time of the fitting then you could pick what you wanted and be fitted this way?

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Great read, Tristan!  Very excited for you ... and to see your new putter if it gets in in time!

I know from your review, as well as Clambake's and a lot of other talk on here that they are very thorough ... about how long did the whole process take?

mine took 1 1/2 hrs in K.C. ks. @ Golf MD and the process was very much the same as the others. ( very eye opening) cant wait till it gets here!!!

• 2 weeks later...

So... 2 1/2 weeks of waiting and I've become a bit impatient. I decided to call Edel to check the status of the order and he informed me it was in his hand and on the way out the door today!!! With the way my schedule works out, it should be in my hands for my next round of golf, and more importantly for the SoCal Sand Trap Outing!!!

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

So... 2 1/2 weeks of waiting and I've become a bit impatient. I decided to call Edel to check the status of the order and he informed me it was in his hand and on the way out the door today!!! With the way my schedule works out, it should be in my hands for my next round of golf, and more importantly for the SoCal Sand Trap Outing!!!

When it comes to a new putter, we're all worse than a 6 year old on Christmas morning, aren't we?

Originally Posted by Clambake

When it comes to a new putter, we're all worse than a 6 year old on Christmas morning, aren't we?

I was fine until today and then I just had to know where it was and how much longer. And now that I know it'll be on a FedEx Truck tonight, that makes me want it even more!

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I was fine until today and then I just had to know where it was and how much longer. And now that I know it'll be on a FedEx Truck tonight, that makes me want it even more!

LOL!    I was okay waiting for mine, and had been prepared that it was going to take awhile since I order it just before the PGA show and Edel was busy with the show.   But the instant I got the tracking email from FedEx saying it was on the way, I became absolutely insufferable in my impatience.     I knew the plane wasn't going to fly any faster or the trucks driver any quicker, but somehow I thought if I kept checking status on the FedEx site it might hurry it along.      For you it sounds like the best news - you'll have it in time for the SoCal outing!

Originally Posted by Clambake

Around $400 for a full custom putter sized just to you.    Not that much more than an off-the-rack Scotty.   The variable weight and variable lofts are extra.

This. Base price is $395 and I paid $35 extra for the Pixl insert. The price of fittings vary, but should be right around $100 and some, if not all, is applied towards the cost of the putter if you get one.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• Administrator

This. Base price is $395 and I paid $35 extra for the Pixl insert. The price of fittings vary, but should be right around $100 and some, if not all, is applied towards the cost of the putter if you get one.

$395 + tax + $20 shipping for the base model.

So roughly the cost of two or three putters that you won't ever have to buy (nor will they be customized with your initials, etc.).

Note: This thread is 2424 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!