IGNORED

Help Me Break 80

fairwaysngreens
Note: This thread is 6115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

yes. course management is a must. dont go for the par 5 in two if you can dunk it in the water..

Also, try hitting more greens. The more you hit the better your chances are for breaking 80.

On the other hand, I have shot even par while only hitting a few greens and a few years ago I shot -1 while only hitting 1 green. SO, short game goes along way

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver:
3 Wood:
Hybrid:
3-PW: Wedges: Putter: Ball:

Hmmm, for me it took getting greater control over my long shots and my chipping.

When I first started to break 80 I was a horrible putter, and didn't like practicing it.

I still don't like practicing it, but have gotten a lot better :)

DRIVER: 905r 8.5 UST V2 75 X
3 WOOD: 906f2 15 UST 85 X
HYBRID/IRON: Rapture Hybrid/3 Iron
IRONS: MX 200 Dynamic Gold X100
WEDGES: 52, 56, 60 600PUTTER: Geurin Rife Two Bar BALLS: Pro V1xGLOVE: SoftjoySHOES: Reelfit "Do those pump up?"BAG: Sun Mountain

8 or more greens in reg and 32 or fewer putts and you'll be right there........
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

once your long game is straight then my advice would be to work on every shot you could have within 100 yards.
On par 5's....my rule is always play position, it is gonna take me 3 shots to get there anyway so i may aswell keep it in play.

In the Wilson Stand Bag

Driver:........Ping........G5 Reg shaft
3 Wood:......Mitsushiba.........M575-15°

Irons:.........Taylormade RocketBallz......3 Hybrid - PW..Stiff Shafts

Wedges:....Cleveland CG16 56 & 60

Go play a Par 3 course. You might even break seventy.
In my bag:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5*
Woods: 3 & 5 Rescue Fairway
Hybrid: HiBore Hybrid 4i
Irons: SS-I 5-PW Wedges: Tour Action Reg. 588: 49*, 53*, 60*Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: Bridgestone e6

The Weirdest thing was last year when i broke 80 for the first time i used a really really old crappy ball, the other day i shot 79, 77 and i used a old crappy ball. But that wont help

Hit alot of GIRS and dont focus on your score, if you are with a buddy, joke around and have fun, it helps me because i dont think about playing and i naturally do good.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Yeah, hit the ball straight, and make your putts, that ought to do it.

This is an extremely vague question, there are probably about a thousand answers to this question. Not knowing what your strengths and weaknesses are its impossible how to tell you how to break 80, but if I were a guessing man I would tell you to work on your short game, that will give you the best chance in doing so.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Any of yall have suggestions on how to break 80 for the first time?

My biggest problems nowadays are par 3's and driving accuracy. I am only hitting two or three fairways a round, and end up having to scramble my ass off to salvage a socially acceptable score. Par 3's are...just, bad. I have some weird mental block about them. I hack my iron off line, make a bad chip, and then three-jack for double bogey. Or something like that. (I doubled both par 3's today on a 9 holer, but parred both par 5's - go figure)

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

avoiding doubles is the key to being a single digit handicap. I don't make any more birdies now, compared to when i was a 15, i just make alot less mistakes.

Some of it is course management-- laying up a bit to give you a better shot into the green and being willing to just chip out when you hit a bad drive and take a bogey.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

Any of yall have suggestions on how to break 80 for the first time?

Hit every GIR and sink every putt you look at. This will give you a 54.

The following advice is based on my experience breaking 100, and is aimed at anyone close to breaking 80. Those who have actually broken 80 are encouraged to tell me if I'm terribly wrong on any of this. Go out and have fun with your friends. Unless you're playing in a tournament, and sometimes even then, this is what golf is really about. Don't worry about your score, just have fun. Breaking 80 will come with time. My first two sub-100 scores came as surprises: I knew I was playing well, but I didn't really realize how well. If you insist on practicing, work on your putting and iron accuracy. This will help you hit more greens and sink more putts. If you insist on thinking, next time you play, when you're on the green on each par-5 of your home course, turn around and look at the fairway. Decide where you'd like to approach the green from the next time you play the course. Figure out what shot will take you to that place, and where that shot originates. Hit your tee shot to that area. There's no sense hitting driver-3Wood and have a half-wedge onto a par-5 if you can hit 3Wood, 4-Iron, 9-Iron and have a better shot at birdie. (This isn't bad advice for par-4s either: determine where you'd like your approach shot to be from, and hit your tee shot to there if possible. You just have to be a bit more choosy: you can't always pick your favorite club as you can on many par-5s.) If you haven't already done so, read Dr. Bob Rotella's Golf is Not a Game of Perfect . I read it last Thursday-Friday after a suggestion on another thread, and this weekend's rounds were my first breaking of the 100 barrier: 95 and 92. It wasn't entirely the book - I was hitting 102 +/- 2 for the 5 rounds previous. In addition to being a great mental aid, the book has some *very* good pointers on putting and pitching (two of my weaker areas).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The key is your PUTTER. I came terribly close a few months ago when I went -1 through 5, and my putter went cold, and shot an 84.

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

I broke 80 once.

Then they said we had to play the back 9, too.

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

Top tip- Dont Underclub,Always take one more club than you need

In the Wilson Stand Bag

Driver:........Ping........G5 Reg shaft
3 Wood:......Mitsushiba.........M575-15°

Irons:.........Taylormade RocketBallz......3 Hybrid - PW..Stiff Shafts

Wedges:....Cleveland CG16 56 & 60

Agreed. Most people think they hit the ball further than they actually do and/or judge their distance on a perfectly struck shot and not a slight mishit (which is more common).

For every shot that's over the green, there's six that aren't up.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I think some of the biggest keys to breaking 80 are playing consistently and a good short game. Being able to get up and down from around the green can make up for mishit drives and irons. If I don't play for a couple of weeks I can still go out and hit my drives and irons like usual, but will have a couple of mishit chips and three putts.

X460 Tour Driver
S2H2 4 wood
mp32 irons
MP T Black Nickel 51&56 Wedges
Answer Putter

That might be good advice for someone looking to break 100, but not 80. When you're at that threshold you should have your club distance down to within 5 yards disregarding wind.

My advice for breaking 80 is to make sure your misses are playable. I suppose that would fall under course management.

Note: This thread is 6115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!