IGNORED

2013 Masters Discussion Thread, Update with Tiger's Illegal Drop (Post #343)

iacas
Note: This thread is 4017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What an incredible win for Adam Scott. Just awesome.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Got to bring this up... By my math, Tiger would have been in that playoff if he wouldn't have hit that flagpole... Would he have won?

It's fun to speculate ... However, on the other hand, there are so many "ifs" that go along with that, that it's a bit of a waste of time.

Congrats Adam Scott! [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/73091/] [/URL]

His Twitter must be seriously blowing up right now. Golfer Adam Scott doesn't have one.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

His Twitter must be seriously blowing up right now. Golfer Adam Scott doesn't have one.

He's not receiving any tweets though, he's out of cell contact at the ... Wait for it ... f**king Catalina wine mixer!!!

• Upvote 1

Great win for Scott.  And he ends the Greg Norman jinx that has plagued the Aussies for years.

Wow, first Andy Murray breaks through and now Adam Scott.  A great stretch for the British Empire.

Originally Posted by Ping

Eldrick knew exactly what he was doing..he admitted that he moved two yards back in order to "dial in" his next shot. Whether the Committee was right or wrong is irrelevant. There was a clear rules violation in that act. Had he DQ'd himself, he would have demonstrated a modicum of integrity, but since he has none..he didn't.  As a result of this fiasco, the question of "who's the best golfer of all time" has been answered..Jack Nicklaus.

Once you call him Eldrick rather than Tiger you have told us everything we need to know about your biases.

Originally Posted by dave67az

Really.  So in the Stacy Lewis case, why did they contact Stacy and ASK her and Travis whether they had violated the rule?  Consistent application of standards is pretty important.

If that were the case then nothing shown on video, whether actual play or interviews afterwards, could be used by the Committee since it is obviously not equal application of standards when some players have every shot shown and are interviewed on TV after every round and most other players are virtually unknown on TV.  It is also unclear to me why you would expect consistency between the way two different organizations, the Masters Tournament, and the LPGA Tour, run their events.  Nothing in the Rules of Golf specifies what the procedures are that Committees must use to deal with these kinds of situations so why would you expect consistency?  So it seems as if you expect consistency between unrelated organizations but don't seem to recognize that there is tremendous inconsistency in the way rules are applied based on the popularity of the player - by which I mean the popular player is subjected to scrutiny that the more anonymous players are not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

I do - dilutes the field for a tournament that claims that the winner is a champion and goes down in golf history as a great player..to be a champion, you have to have the absolute best in the field. There are several PGA players not playing Augusta this weekend that could be more competitive than Sandy Lyle and Craig Stadler.

No field dilution takes place because there is not a set number of tournament slots.  It isn't as if leaving someone, say Ryo, out of the tournament would result in them including someone else.  The field would just get smaller.  Or, if they did not allow Sandy Lyle and Craig Stadler to play that would not get those other PGA players you are talking about into the field.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by clutchshot

What an ending!!! Now if Adam would just lose that long putter he would be pretty cool...

Lose the putter and his caddie and I would be a fan. I like the way he plays.

In my bag:

Nike Mach Speed Black

Nike Dymo 3 wood

TaylorMade Burner 3 hybrid

Mizuno MP-53 PW-3

TaylorMade RAC 52, 56, 60

Odyssey Black Series Tour Design

Congrats Adam Scott! I think it would have been a pretty good story either way, so a great finale to the tournament.

It seems a lot of fans felt for AS after what happened last year, so to see him to break through, and the obvious joy he had at the 18th, which appeared to be real happiness rather than anything derogatory to his opponents, and also the way he related to AC afterwards walking together like that, he is a very popular winner.

Think what you want of his caddie, his gaffes are hopefully a thing of the past, but it does lend you to the opinion that Williams is one hell of a caddy, as far as guiding their man can go. IMO, the skill is still with the player, just as far as caddies play their part on the course, he seems top notch.

Eldrick knew exactly what he was doing..he admitted that he moved two yards back in order to "dial in" his next shot. Whether the Committee was right or wrong is irrelevant. There was a clear rules violation in that act. Had he DQ'd himself, he would have demonstrated a modicum of integrity, but since he has none..he didn't.  As a result of this fiasco, the question of "who's the best golfer of all time" has been answered..Jack Nicklaus.

(A) No, the decision of the Committee is not irrelevant. Augusta even said that the USGA and R&A; agreed with the decision. (B) There was a clear rules violation, and he was penalized two strokes for it. Two strokes that may not have cost him the victory, but certainly cost him the chance at victory. He wouldn't have had to press early Sunday. (C) You people act like Tiger had some malicious intent with this, like he was trying to pull a fast one on all of us and the field. You want to know why I know he didn't? BECAUSE HE ADMITTED TO RINALDI IN THE INTERVIEW THAT HE WAS TRYING TO GO TWO YARDS BACK! The only reason he was assessed the penalty at all was because he talked about it. Bank robbers don't go do post-robbery interviews on live TV with their satchel of cash slung over their shoulders, or else they'd be monumentally asinine bank robbers. He messed up the rules, plain and simple. My soda exploded al over me yesterday. It wasn't because I don't know how to open a soda bottle, it was because I messed up. Tiger messed up, people, and nothing more. (Sorry, I forgot we were doing with the penalty stuff.) Anyway, congrats to golfer Adam Scott. Once it was clear Tiger was out of it, I was rooting for him. Y'know what? Congrats to actor Adam Scott too. Parks and Rec is awesome.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I couldn't help but ask myself a question as Cabrera and Scott were walking towards the 10th green and final hole.  That gesture, the thumbs up from one competitor to the other.  The genuine warmth of congratulation for the winning putt, and all done with his son on the bag.  Class on the part of both men.

Substitute Tiger for either man, and my how the picture changes.

Golf is a different sport.  In the end, it requires and generally rewards character over raw skill.

This will go down as my favorite Masters since 1986.

• Administrator
Substitute Tiger for either man, and my how the picture changes. Golf is a different sport.  In the end, it requires and generally rewards character over raw skill.

Really? 14 > 2 > 1. Seems pretty well rewarded to me. Tiger is a gracious winner. No competitors have said otherwise, have they?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Is it too soon to talk US Open 13 at Merion? haha

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Originally Posted by iacas

Really? 14 > 2 > 1. Seems pretty well rewarded to me.

Tiger is a gracious winner. No competitors have said otherwise, have they?

I'm a phil guy over tiger, but I'm not sure I understand people's blind disgust for Tiger. His interview after his round showed that he didn't seem upset about anything, the penalty, the bad luck hitting the flagstick... Just talked about how he played. Gracious winner, humble loser.

I feel that the only reason people knock on Tiger is because of how upset he can get when he plays poorly... but his standards are high. There is no room for less than the best in his mind. I don't see why that makes him such a bad person.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

With near flawless ball-striking and clutch putting Scott completed the Anchoring Slam – following in the footsteps of Keegan Bradley ( PGA Championship ), Webb Simpson (U.S. Open) and Ernie Els (British Open) – and just in time as the USGA and R&A; seem poised to rule on long putters before the end of the spring.

The Anchoring Slam. LOL, oh brother...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by turtleback

Great win for Scott.  And he ends the Greg Norman jinx that has plagued the Aussies for years.

Wow, first Andy Murray breaks through and now Adam Scott.  A great stretch for the British Empire.

Once you call him Eldrick rather than Tiger you have told us everything we need to know about your biases.

No field dilution takes place because there is not a set number of tournament slots.  It isn't as if leaving someone, say Ryo, out of the tournament would result in them including someone else.  The field would just get smaller.  Or, if they did not allow Sandy Lyle and Craig Stadler to play that would not get those other PGA players you are talking about into the field.

You are correct..I am biased. Eldrick is a public figure and should be a role model for millions of kids. Instead, he squanders it all and his family for some strange. This latest fiasco serves to reinforce what many already know..Eldrick is a loser. One of the guys at work put it best..he said, "I want to see Tiger come in second in every tournament for the rest of his life."...so do I.  Eldrick is not in Adam Scott's league and never will be.

Originally Posted by Ping

You are correct..I am biased. Eldrick is a public figure and should be a role model for millions of kids. Instead, he squanders it all and his family for some strange. This latest fiasco serves to reinforce what many already know..Eldrick is a loser. One of the guys at work put it best..he said, "I want to see Tiger come in second in every tournament for the rest of his life."...so do I.  Eldrick is not in Adam Scott's league and never will be.

Keep going.  All you are doing is confirming your own low class.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 4017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!