• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sacman

driver grip vs. iron grip

8 posts in this topic

I play with a weaker left handed grip for my driver than I do my irons. Should I have the same grip for all of my clubs? I find that I am not as consistent with my driver and am trying to remedy it. Any thoughts?

Funny, I have a stronger grip with my driver (very strong, 3-4 knuckle) and a weaker grip with Irons (close to neutral). I'm a pretty bad player, but I will slice my driver to narnia if I weaken the grip position to neutral or weaker. I don't have the same problem with irons. I can hit those relatively straight with a neutral grip. I can't say if better players have the same grip for all clubs, or try to. I know I don't.

I play about 3 knuckles on my driver and two on my irons if not nuetral. I hit my irons pretty well but my driver drives me up the wall.

I use the same grip on everything from my driver down to lob wedge.

I would recommend keeping the same grip on all shots.  I like a neutral to slightly strong grip.  Only time I would ever change it is on pitch shots, can go weaker.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Having the same grip is probably easier and more consistent, but whatever works for you I guess. I use the same grip on every club except the putter.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mvmac

I would recommend keeping the same grip on all shots.  I like a neutral to slightly strong grip.  Only time I would ever change it is on pitch shots, can go weaker.

I would agree with Mike. No big reason to change the grip it would only create an inconsistency and may cause the hands to be too active/inactive if you have 2 or more grips. Having the same grip will help insure the hands work in a consistent way in swing.