IGNORED

how much does follow through affect impact

moonducks
Note: This thread is 4033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

my dad has told me i need to fix my follow through swing and to keep my upper body and head over the ball after impact to fix slicing and the ball popping up. he has said that i lift my upper body too early too see how far i hit to the ball

any tips on slicing?

thanks

Are the pop ups wit the driver? If so, you're head / upper centre is getting too far forward at impact, not just afterwards. I fight this with the driver - there's plenty of idiot marks on top of my RBZ.

Working on your follow through won't do anything. Follow through work only changes how pretty your finish looks.

You need to work on whatever causes the follow through to be poor. If you're lifting up before impact, that can be a problem, for sure. Need to keep yourself down long enough to hit the ball properly, but it doesn't matter if you look up after impact during the follow through

Lots of tips here on slicing, but that main thing you need to do is lead with the lower body and follow with the shoulders arms and hands. I'm not the guy to explain all that though.. there are the 5 swing keys, and there are lots of threads explaining those. Also, posting a swing in the myswing thread will help you out a lot

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Originally Posted by moonducks

my dad has told me i need to fix my follow through swing and to keep my upper body and head over the ball after impact to fix slicing and the ball popping up. he has said that i lift my upper body too early too see how far i hit to the ball

any tips on slicing?

Follow through: I know that others in this post disagree, but to me, the follow through is the most important part of the golf swing other than making solid contact in the middle of the club face.  My theory is that if you can get to a good follow through position with your weight shifted to the left side and in balance, and your hands in a good location at the end of the swing, that the rest of the swing will take care of itself.

Slicing: I was able to correct my slicing at an early age with proper posture and ball position in your stance.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

The follow through cannot affect the ball or the ball flight. Once the follow through begins, the ball is already gone. As a poster above said, the focus will have to be on what caused such a bad follow through. Certainly, if your follow through is poor, something else needs work first. Good luck with it!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by sofingaw

The follow through cannot affect the ball or the ball flight. Once the follow through begins, the ball is already gone.

According to the guys at The GolfWorks, the golf ball is 10-12" off the clubface by the time the golfer senses impact. So, your followthrough does not influence the flight of the ball.

The followthrough is an excellent indicator, however , of the swing motion prior to the ball. If I have a nice, high upkick release - swinging to "right field" as some say - the ball is usually flying high and well. If I ride the shaft back to the left, the ball is tailing off in a low, pull shot.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• Administrator
Working on your follow through won't do anything. Follow through work only changes how pretty your finish looks.

Changing your follow through can change what comes before it. Happens all the time. Golfers know where they're trying to get and on getting there they'll do things differently.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Changing your follow through can change what comes before it. Happens all the time. Golfers know where they're trying to get and on getting there they'll do things differently.

I don't know how a lot of golfers try to fix their swing, I try to fix everything before the follow through and see how that effects the follow through. Although now that I think about it more, working on holding lag through the swing certainly is like trying to get to a feeling in the follow thru

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

Its nonesense to say that follow through doesn't matter because you dont hit the ball with your follow through. Its a product of what has happened before so it is as important as backswing and downswing. The swing should follow an arc, so after impact if you leave that arc then you are likely to be reducing the power and accuracy of your swing.

Originally Posted by Robster 7

The swing should follow an arc, so after impact if you leave that arc then you are likely to be reducing the power and accuracy of your swing.

For some reason this statement of arc sounds like static radius circle while in golf swing hands and club head are moving in their own paths and most of the time in different directions and not on one plane. They sure are arcs, some kind of.

I can't believe some folks believe that a preconceived idea of the finish does not affect contact. First, from a purely physics POV, as in a billiard ball striking another ball, duh of course what the first ball does after contact has no effect on the resulting path of the struck ball. Fortunately, we are not billiard balls. We consist of a mind interacting with a body. The mind conceives an outcome, and exeutes an action to achieve that outcome. If that outcome is a full and balanced finish, then the action to achieve that outcome (the swing) will tend to be performed accordingly. Think about it...when you drive a car every single move you make at the controls is based on a prediction of what that move is going to produce...you're constantly living in the future, even though physics says the car only goes where the tires are pointed at the present moment. Lastly, why is it whenever I remind my wife or daughter to hold their finish, their next shot is usually flushed? (My son is harder to convince - sometimes when he keeps coming out of his follow through, I will crush a shot and hold my finish for like 5 min until he says, "alright, it get it.."

dak4n6

As Iacas and dak4n6 say, follow through indicates what came before it.  So it absolutely effects your shot.  Personally, I know when my follow through is not good, neither is my shot.  When I hold the pose after a shot, almost always, it's a good shot.

You can only achieve a good follow through if your swing was good.  So, yes, a good follow through is an absolute must if you want a good swing.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I can say that a good (or at least a well balanced) follow through would be a great thing.

Because of some left leg problems from an old football injury having any balance in the follow through is extremely difficult for me. It doesn't have a direct effect on my shots because nothing about my injury comes into play until after impact...BUT...It is very hard to have the discipline to not subconsciously start unwanted alterations in my swing before impact to account for the follow through problems.

A really great swing wouldn't do me much good if I fell down after every shot.

Plus a really pretty follow through sure makes a mediocre swing look better than it actually is.

To add, take the putting stroke - imagine stopping the stroke at impact, ie, a stab. It's after contact, but does anyone know a good putter who stabs the ball?

dak4n6

I see that a lot of people say that the follow through doesn't matter, I assume in response to what I said.

The follow through doesn't affect impact. It reflects impact. A follow through like arnold palmer vs a guy like phil doesn't matter. They both reflect good swings. Focus on what causes a good follow through, not the follow through itself. I just don't see the point in trying to have a nice looking follow through... a really fat shot and a really thin shot can have a beautiful follow thru

Note: This thread is 4033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!