IGNORED

DQ Brandel Chamblee from the Golf Channel

club ho
Note: This thread is 3900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I started playing golf in 1993 and started watching it on television that year too.  I don't think I heard the "You Da Man!" shouts that first summer I started watching golf on TV, but I'm pretty sure people started it before Tiger joined the tour, at least by 1995.

This is just a guess, but I'd say that a very signfiicant portion of that increase in tournament ticket sales when Tiger is playing is for tickets for kids.

Even before the infidelity, there were a lot of anti-Tiger people out there.  Some of them were probably just being anti-trendy, but although none of them would admit it, their dislike of Tiger seemed to run so deep without other explanation that race had to be a factor - I am sure that if he was blond and blue-eyed, many/most of the Tiger-haters would not have disliked him.  The infidelity scandal became a convenient excuse to be more vocally and visably anti-Tiger for some people.  The backlash against Tiger for his marital indiscretions was worse than that against any other athlete or celebrity who got caught cheating that I can recall in the past 25 years.  Now some of that was because of Tiger's greater fame and popularity with kids, but it can't all be explained by those two factors.  Both Shaq and Koby were immensely famous and popular with kids, but a year after their scandals broke, nobody remembered they happened any more and I doubt there was the level of animosity toward them that Tiger continues to receive today more than two years later.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Originally Posted by Wisguy

Even before the infidelity, there were a lot of anti-Tiger people out there.  Some of them were probably just being anti-trendy, but although none of them would admit it, their dislike of Tiger seemed to run so deep without other explanation that race had to be a factor - I am sure that if he was blond and blue-eyed, many/most of the Tiger-haters would not have disliked him.

I've been an anti-Tiger guy from the beginning, but it has zero to do with race. I'm not drawn to any person or team with that much bravado.

I'm sure there are a lot of guys out there that hate Tiger because he's black, but don't make the assumption that all anti-Tiger guys are race driven.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Really???? We're blaming the only 1/2 black guy on tour for these idiots shouting you the man and Mashed potatoes? I really didnt want to respond to this madness but for the love of CalvinePeete c'mon. I think there is plenty of blame to go around but none of it is based on race! I've seen some threads go in some stupid directions but this one might be an all timer. This is an all time low......Where is the "Im a 24 handicap but drive the ball on Avg 315 yards thread when you need one?"

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Really???? We're blaming the only 1/2 black guy on tour for these idiots shouting you the man and Mashed potatoes? I really didnt want to respond to this madness but for the love of Calvine Peete c'mon. I think there is plenty of blame to go around but none of it is based on race! I've seen some threads go in some stupid directions but this one might be an all timer. This is an all time low......Where is the "Im a 24 handicap but drive the ball on Avg 315 yards?"

Damn right. There's no correlation between tiger and the idiots yelling in the crowd. There's no doubt John Daly gets just as many stupid remarks while he's playing too as well as numerous other high profile golfers.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

I've been an anti-Tiger guy from the beginning, but it has zero to do with race. I'm not drawn to any person or team with that much bravado.

I'm sure there are a lot of guys out there that hate Tiger because he's black, but don't make the assumption that all anti-Tiger guys are race driven.

Which golfers and professional athletes do you like?  I'd bet more than half of them have exhibited bravado at times.  They probably didn't show as much as Tiger primarily because they weren't winning as often.

Now Geaux, I don't know you at all and don't claim to have any insight into what goes on in your head, so I am making no specific statements as to you.  But I think we'd find that 99% of those who dislike Tiger for his skin color would say something sounding much like what you just said.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Which golfers and professional athletes do you like?  I'd bet more than half of them have exhibited bravado at times.  They probably didn't show as much as Tiger primarily because they weren't winning as often. Now Geaux, I don't know you at all and don't claim to have any insight into what goes on in your head, so I am making no specific statements as to you.  But I think we'd find that 99% of those who dislike Tiger for his skin color would say something sounding much like what you just said.

are you serious? He simply said why he has never been a fan of Tigers. What the hell does not following teams and players with bravado have to do with race? 99% really?? I agree with Geaux for the exact same reasons and can assure you it's not because of race. Do I hate the guy? No. Do I respect what he's done for the game of golf? Absolutely. It's my personal choice to not want to idolize him or consider myself a tiger fan. And the part where you said you don't really know him, that goes for almost every other person on this forum so don't assume things.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by iacas

What's it to you if someone is a "Tiger fan"? Tiger plays golf. If they're attending a golf tournament because Tiger's playing in it, again, what's it to you? Does it make you feel superior to them because you're a "golf" fan and not a "Tiger" fan?

I don't care why someone's at a golf tournament. I - and the other players - are glad they're there.

There is no question that Tiger drives revenues for the tournaments that he decides to play. I don't think that is the point that some are trying to make here. Hell, John Daly drives revenues as well, which explains his many exemptions into tournaments every year.

My point at least (I can't speak for others) is that Tiger attracts a different type of fan than the traditional golf spectators. Granted, most traditional golf fans appreciate Tiger and what he brings to the Tour, and many more of them probably make the decision to attend rather than sit on their sofa. But there is another element that arrives with Tiger's appearance at a tournament. We in Philly call it the "700 Level" element, in honor of the upper level of the old Veteran's Stadium, where the meek dared not tread. These are the meatheads shouting "mashed potatoes" and "babba-booey" and, truthfully, yeah, I think I am superior to them.

JMO.

• Upvote 1

Bill M

Before this thread gets locked up because its turned into a tiger/racism debate, don't forget that it's supposed to be about Brandel chamblee. ;)

Brandel Chamblee started it! :P

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Really???? We're blaming the only 1/2 black guy on tour for these idiots shouting you the man and Mashed potatoes? I really didnt want to respond to this madness but for the love of CalvinePeete c'mon. I think there is plenty of blame to go around but none of it is based on race! I've seen some threads go in some stupid directions but this one might be an all timer. This is an all time low......Where is the "Im a 24 handicap but drive the ball on Avg 315 yards thread when you need one?"

Nothing to do with race. However, one of Tiger's biggest influences on the game is the number of people (from all races) that he has brought to the game. Many of these individuals are not your prototypically reserved patron. I can understand drawing a parallel between this and the number of unsavory occurrences at tour events. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I understand how such a parallel could be drawn. However, even that parallel is not based on race, so I agree with you.

Originally Posted by Wisguy

Which golfers and professional athletes do you like?  I'd bet more than half of them have exhibited bravado at times.  They probably didn't show as much as Tiger primarily because they weren't winning as often.

My favorite golfers and professional athletes, to name a few: David Toms, Adam Scott, Freddie Freeman, Brian McCann, Chris Paul, Mikel Arteta, Santi Cazorla, Drew Brees, and Marques Colston.

Originally Posted by Wisguy

Now Geaux, I don't know you at all and don't claim to have any insight into what goes on in your head, so I am making no specific statements as to you.  But I think we'd find that 99% of those who dislike Tiger for his skin color would say something sounding much like what you just said.

No, you don't know me. Nor do you know the 99% you referred to.

Now, enough of the off-topic crap. Back to Chamblee. He's a tool.

• Upvote 1

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Before this thread gets locked up because its turned into a tiger/racism debate, don't forget that it's supposed to be about Brandel chamblee. ;)

Who?

It's interesting that some golfers get the hate because they exhibit "bravado" while others are disliked because they exhibit little emotion.  I guess you just can't please everyone.

Let me clear up a bit of confusion here, because some people didn't read what I said.  I never said that 99% of Tiger-haters are racist.  I said that out of those Tiger-haters who dislike him because they are racists (not an inconsequential number, either - let's not forget that one of the 'traditions" of this "tradition rich" sport was always the exclusive white consistency of the game - that hasn't gone away altogether even in the 21st century), 99% of them would publicly deny it and come up with somewhat plausible non-racist explanations for disliking the guy.

Originally Posted by saturday

Damn right. There's no correlation between tiger and the idiots yelling in the crowd. There's no doubt John Daly gets just as many stupid remarks while he's playing too as well as numerous other high profile golfers.

John Daly does get the yellers, but John Daly isn't on TV all the time like Tiger is. Their are fans who watch only because of Tiger who would be egged on by the yelling, and they join in and create more yelling. phan mentioned the "700 level fan" at the old Vet Stadium. This is the type of fan that gave Philly fans their poor reputation. What I am saying is that this is creeping into the game of golf. If you can't see it, or don't wish to see, that's OK. I do see it, and have no problem calling it for what it is.

Bobby Jones promoted a golf as a gentleman's game. We need more of that and less of YOU DA MAN and MASHED POTATOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The guy who YELLS MASHED POTATOS does not understand the etiquette of the game. The guy who interrupts a conversation to admonish others to watch out for Tiger when he's 10 shots and 31 places in arrears going into the final round also doesn't understand the game. It should be no shock that someone sees a correlation between the two.

I fully understand the benefits to me personally that Tiger has entered the game. He's not my cup of tea, but his presence has led to the construction of numerous new golf courses in the area, many of which I have played and enjoyed. So I get something of value because of his being in the game and bringing in all these new fans. I get that. But this comes at some cost as many of the new fans he has brought along for the ride don't get the tradition of the game. Worse, they don't seem to care about it much. They'd rather have others "deal with it" than adjust their rude behavior both at tour events and on the course itself.

Again, placing flak jacket on .......

Who? It's interesting that some golfers get the hate because they exhibit "bravado" while others are disliked because they exhibit little emotion.  I guess you just can't please everyone. Let me clear up a bit of confusion here, because some people didn't read what I said.  I never said that 99% of Tiger-haters are racist.  I said that out of those Tiger-haters who dislike him because they are racists (not an inconsequential number, either - let's not forget that one of the 'traditions" of this "tradition rich" sport was always the exclusive white consistency of the game - that hasn't gone away altogether even in the 21st century), 99% of them would publicly deny it and come up with somewhat plausible non-racist explanations for disliking the guy.

Not even sure why we're talking about race here. You brought it up.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by 9iron

I associate the Tiger fans with the "You Da Man" yelling fans.

That's dumb. Those fans existed in 1991 when John Daly was playing. They're in a lineage dating back to the guys wearing rainbow colored clown wigs at Tour events, and the increasing TV coverage and relaxed booze selling regulations.

You hear it just as frequently at events at which Tiger Woods is not playing and even has historically never played.

You're just itching to blame Tiger for stuff, or put down people who consider themselves fans of Tiger Woods.

Originally Posted by 9iron

It has obviously gotten to guys like Furyk, Westwood, and Poulter, players with completely different personalities, and likely many, many more players.

Peh, Ian Poulter… don't get me started.

Originally Posted by 9iron

I don't like the trend as it is away from the traditional gentlemanly nature of the game and towards a decidedly ungentlemanly pattern of behavior. I like a good fiercely competed match on the golf course as much as anyone, but contested in a gentlemanly fashion. The truth is, I don't like club throwers and foul language shouted out on the golf course, something I have noticed a decided rise in over the past 15 years. They may be growing the game, but they have sacrificed something when they failed to teach the new golfers about etiquette.

And this has what to do with Tiger Woods fans? Actually don't answer that - it's not the topic.

Back to topic. Post more off topic stuff about Tiger or fans yelling and you'll find yourself in the penalty box.

P.S. Brandel's doing exactly what he should be doing - getting people to tune in and talk about what he says.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

P.S. Brandel's doing exactly what he should be doing - getting people to tune in and talk about what he says.

Good point. I can't stand the guy, but I suppose he's good for TV.

Tyler Martin

• 2 weeks later...

This may have been posted - but if you want to know why Brandel is the way he is:

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2012-06/brandel-chamblee-interview?currentPage=2#ixzz2dAzc0A72

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

This may have been posted - but if you want to know why Brandel is the way he is:

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2012-06/brandel-chamblee-interview?currentPage=2#ixzz2dAzc0A72

I think this statement by Chamblee is dead on, and I believe it is the the genesis of a lot of the criticism of Chamblee.

TIGER WOODS has been in love with the geometry of the golf swing for years now, and it's hurt him. The golf shot is more important than the golf swing. When your mind is consumed by mechanics, it puts a governor on creativity. The art stops, and the science takes over. So long as we see Tiger stopping his practice swings and checking his positions--something Phil has never done, by the way--we'll never see him at his best.

What's a fringe guy like Chamblee supposed to know about the golf swing of the best player on the planet, right? But Tiger was an artist in his early years and has lost that part of his game. His first teacher when he was a kid has said as much; that he used to play the shot in front of him as opposed to fixating on the mechanics.

Chamblee's presentation isn't always so good (eg: smug), but he makes a lot of sense.

Bill M

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2012-06/brandel-chamblee-interview?currentPage=2#ixzz2dAzc0A72

I think Brandel has a lot of good insights in that article, but this is a tad disingenuous, at best:

Originally Posted by Brandel Chamblee

The other day someone was telling me about "the new laws of ball flight," which insinuated that the laws of physics have changed. The findings were supported, he said, by the output of one of those $30,000 launch monitors. I listened, and it turns out these "new laws" were semantics for things we already knew.

Bill

Note: This thread is 3900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!