IGNORED

Tipping

iacas
Note: This thread is 5560 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a major pet peeve with many golf courses (especially those that at least believe they are a high end course). I hate that these courses hire bag boys, club cleaner guys and other such people to provide services I do not need or want and am expected to tip them anyway.

Nope, doesn't bother me at all as long as it is just kids learning how to get a proper start in the real world. A buck or 2 here and there just ain't that big a deal. I'd rather see those kids at least trying to do a job and learning something about real life economics than just hanging out at the mall on daddy's ticket.

Everybody's got to make a living somehow. And if as you say the course was to pay them a better wage, then you'd just be paying that much more for your round to cover it. Gonna come out of your pocket either way. Be different if it was a 40 year old man who ought to have a real job.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Fourputt, for me it is as simple as not wanting anyone to touch my golf equipment. When I play at The Ridge at Castle Pines North I will politely say to the folks at the bag drop area, “My golf bag is made from pure asbestos - if you touch it you are thereby waiving your right to any litigious recourse.” This absurd statement is usually enough to get chuckle from these folks, and my sense of humor is their form of pecuniary compensation. As for these folks learning “real life economics,” I would suggest that they read any of the collected works of Milton Friedman.

But of course, I am a sententious prick.

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

This is a tricky topic and I can see both sides and points are valid on both. I myself feel if I can spend $30-$100 a round I can spare a buck or 2 for someone to grab my bag or clean my clubs.. I think it just kinda comes with playing a nicer course..

In the Bag
Driver:Burner07 9.5 NV 75 S
3-woodBurner07 15 degree NV 65 S
HybridRescue Mid 19 degree NVS 85 S
IronsRAC LT 4-PW Project X 5.5 shaftsWedgesCG 12 52,56,60PutterNewport 2 Custom Shop 35inBallProV1 or TaylorMade TP redShoes: All kinds. I have a bit of a shoe problem. As in I like...

...Be different if it was a 40 year old man who ought to have a real job.

Frequently at the courses I play in N.C. and the Myrtle Beach area, the guys "helping" by getting the clubs out of trunks & putting the bags onto golf cars are generally closer to 70 than 40 - to say nothing of 16 - 18 - 20.

Frequently at the courses I play in N.C. and the Myrtle Beach area, the guys "helping" by getting the clubs out of trunks & putting the bags onto golf cars are generally closer to 70 than 40 - to say nothing of 16 - 18 - 20.

Then they are just doing as I am, working part time at a course (I'm a starter though) to support their habit. I don't really have any issue with that either, although I'd rather see them doing something that's a bit more meaningful than being a bag boy.

Most I see around here are high school kids just trying to pad the college fund, or pay for gas for the BMW that daddy bought them...

Rick

Fourputt, for me it is as simple as not wanting anyone to touch my golf equipment. When I play at The Ridge at Castle Pines North I will politely say to the folks at the bag drop area, “My golf bag is made from pure asbestos - if you touch it you are thereby waiving your right to any litigious recourse.” This absurd statement is usually enough to get chuckle from these folks, and my sense of humor is their form of pecuniary compensation. As for these folks learning “real life economics,” I would suggest that they read any of the collected works of Milton Friedman.

I'm not that possessive I guess. Way I see it, they can't hurt them any more than I do playing from some of the situations I find myself in.

I don't see much that can really happen between my car and the golf cart, and I check to be sure they are secure on the cart before I drive away. I feel less comfortable at an unattended bag drop, when anyone could walk off with them while I'm parking the car. I'll tip a bag boy just for the security if nothing else. I generally buy quality tools, golf clubs, etc., and I take good care of them. However I do buy them to use them, and if in that process they end up looking used, well...

Rick

If I let myself get annoyed right before I get on the course I have already doomed myself to a sub-standard round. Whatever I do, use them, avoid them, tip them, stiff them -- and I've done all depending on my mood/hurry -- I don't worry about it. Usually I chip in $2, but tell them how to load the bag (they always do it backward from how I would) and on which side (I am always on the right). For the check out, club cleaning, my preference is to do that myself, so I ask if they can swing the clubs around to the front for me to pick up. They do that, and it's another $2. I don't worry about it as this is the exception - I don't normally play courses with that kind of 'support'.

Tipping is one of those strange things that seems to be different for everyone. For example, if I get in a taxi, I tell the driver (as nicely as possible), no radio, no cellphone, and good tip. Makes the drive as pleasant as possible.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I hate it too b/c I never carry cash so they get nothing from me most of the time. If you can't carry your bag then you probably shouldn't be playing.

What's in my Bagboy Revolver cart bag:

Polarity MTR Irons 2&3 (hybrid) thru PW
R7 Burner Draw Driver 460cc
R7 Burner 3 Wood 5614 Vokey Wedge Tour Chrome Studio Select 1.5 ProV1's

what i cant stand is like the last time i went to TPC Tampa the guy put my bag on the cart backwards (ball pockets facing toward the cart so i had to take the bag out and turn it around), loose and crooked. then the guy after the 18th hole used a muddy rag to "clean" my irons.

On the rare occassion when I play a course that provides these services I just make it a point to take care of those services myself. If a staff person is so forward as to assume I desire the service they provide and somehow manage to get my stuff I simply intervene by taking my stuff back and politely saying no thank you. I don't use Skycaps at airports either.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

I play on courses where these services aren't usually offered unless they are having a tournament. On the rare occasion I do come across this service, I tip the bag boys because sometimes it is a convenience and its something that I am not used to so I figure... what the hell. It's only a couple bucks. If i was that concerned about $2, then I should have probably stayed at home.

As far as the club cleaner guy goes, no thank you. This is something that I have always done myself. It's nothing against them but I have a certain way I like things done. And if i saw someone clean my clubs with a muddy towel... holy cow... I would probably be asked not to come back.

Weapons of Mass Destruction
* Driver - SQ Dymo - 10.5*
* Woods - SQ Dymo 3 Wood - 15*
* Irons - Black Pearl CG 7 - 4 thru PW
* Wedges - RAC Y-Cutter - 60* * Utility - Niblick - 42* & 56** Putter - YES Callie* Ball - E6*** Looking to buy a Niblick 49*

Off topic, but slightly related:

When I was in college I went to the range of one of these establishments and was, by coincidence was wearing a shirt bearing the logo of the club. A very confused fellow, apparently late for his tee time saw me carrying my bag and flew by me, giving me a $10 handshake mistaking me for a bagboy.

I really did try (at least a little bit) to find him to refund his tip, but to no avail.

Despite that aweful shot I just hit, I'm really quite bad at this.

This is a tricky topic and I can see both sides and points are valid on both. I myself feel if I can spend $30-$100 a round I can spare a buck or 2 for someone to grab my bag or clean my clubs.. I think it just kinda comes with playing a nicer course..

Well for me it is (another!) service I don't need or really want.

A few months ago I was flying with me wife from Sydney on Qantas in First. They offer a spa service with masseuses in the lounge (no tips required or expected FWIW!) and you can call the day before and book your spot. The concierge said to call ahead so a porter can come and assist with our luggage curbside. I didn't bother and turned up at the check-in desk wheeling my own bags and the person seemed horrified that I'd go to the trouble to do it myself and not call the porter. I'm young, I'm fit, I'd rather have the exercise, and besides I'm not lazy enough to call someone to wheel my bag less than 50ft from the car to the check-in desk! I'm all for people trying to earn a few bucks off their own back but if you're dealing with high end hotels or such establishments I'm near constantly fighting off the 'help' especially at arrival and departure

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

Fourputt, for me it is as simple as not wanting anyone to touch my golf equipment.

I get that.

As for these folks learning “real life economics,” I would suggest that they read any of the collected works of Milton Friedman.

A little sententiousness never hurt anybody, but why is it that "prick" and "Milton Friedman" so often share conversational space?

Driver: FT-3 Tour 10.5, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 75-S
FW: Insight XTD Pro FP400F 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ FW Stiff
Hybrids: G10 18 / 21, AWT Stiff
Irons: Steelhead X-14 PS 4-A, DG S300
Wedge: Vokey SM58.12Putter: 35" Studio Design 1.5Ball: B330, Z Star X or AD333, or D2 Feel...

I don't like them but I am stuck with it at my home course.

Most of the time I keep a wet towel with me in the cart when I play and clean my clubs as I go so they usually don't need cleaned anyway.

I don't like people touching my clubs and prefer to load and unload. Sometimes I sneak the cart out to the parking lot or unload them myself while they attend to other people. It visibly pisses them off some times.

Like others said I don't want or need this extra service so why should I be guilted into tipping for something I don't want.

Note: This thread is 5560 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!