IGNORED

Over the top HELP

Note: This thread is 3984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well I have the disease... Cast out over the top slice divot and nice looking fade.. It's not a 30 yard slice or anything.. Driver around 15 yards on a bad swing.. Few yards on short irons if I don't hit it well. An maybe 5-10 with long irons.. My handicap is a now a 8 and I manage my way around the course with my little slice.. I just would like to see consistency with the driver... More like a 5-10 yard fade. Any thoughts on fixing the over the top motion?

First it is not a slice it is a power fade.  Without video it is impossible to comment.  There are tons of things that you might be doing.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

if it's a fade your smack on target, not on the right of it. A fade is never right of the target, it goes left and comes back but stays pretty much a todd left of the target until the pitch and kick to the right.

it's paradoxal yet a more inline BS, almost ext/int sensation swing can help to reduce the over the top motion.get your left arm going back straight all the time.

I beleive it's tom watson who said 'I finaly understood the golf swing when I felt swinging outside then in";

A push fade will start right of where your feet and shoulders are aimed and move more right.  Jack Nicklaus played this shot a lot.  An over the top swing (out to in) can produce a pull fade where the ball starts left of where your feet and shoulders are aimed and curve back to the right.  They both are playable shots.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by bubble

if it's a fade your smack on target, not on the right of it. A fade is never right of the target, it goes left and comes back but stays pretty much a todd left of the target until the pitch and kick to the right.

it's paradoxal yet a more inline BS, almost ext/int sensation swing can help to reduce the over the top motion.get your left arm going back straight all the time.

I beleive it's tom watson who said 'I finaly understood the golf swing when I felt swinging outside then in";

A ball with positive axis tilt is a fade the target line does not matter.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

If you fade it the same amount every time I wouldn't try to fix it. I would play for the fade, makes it easy to hit the green. Aim away from the pin and play it.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

I'm left handed by the way haha. And I will hope to have video this weekend sometime.. I can manage with the fade but its hard to work a draw because sometimes I cast the club over the top and double cross myself

I understand the plane and initiating with the hips now.. Watched a few videos and YouTube an think it helped. Anyone know any good drills?

Originally Posted by EverythingGolf

A ball with positive axis tilt is a fade the target line does not matter.

This is cause, not effect !

I'm not talking causality. A fade you are in control, a slice you may think you are in control but actualy, you are not.

the difference is the wording. language is beautifull (va niquer encule de putain de sa mere) it is so lovely the language n'est-ce pas ?

there are different words for different effects, If you control the back spin axis of the ball you are in control.

so ! let's go back to the beginer golf books. the wording for trajectory on a chosen target line waries event if the cause is the same.

king of like a peeble, stone rock or bolder. same limestone or granit, yet different words for different sizes.

You said a fade is never right of the target, that is incorrect.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

You said a fade is never right of the target, that is incorrect.

It's not if you're a lefty ;) I think he's meaning a fade that is played, so it's fades to the target? But of course is right of target (starting) line.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Originally Posted by kcarile

I'm left handed by the way haha. And I will hope to have video this weekend sometime.. I can manage with the fade but its hard to work a draw because sometimes I cast the club over the top and double cross myself

Basically two or three reasons you would come over the top.  Turning too level on the backswing, can load the shaft too shallow and then has to get steep on the downswing or you don't have enough weight forward on the downswing.  Most players that come "over the top"  have very little or not enough weight forward at impact.  You would fix this by keeping the right knee flexed longer.  Assuming you keep you head steady and not getting the club too far in on the backswing, check out the weight forward, Key#2, drills in this thread.  If you are making too flat a shoulder turn and/or loading the shaft too flat on the backswing, then check out the Key#1 and Key#4 takeaway drills. http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Coach went out on the range with me today.. Turns out I was only a little over the top if anything.. I added an extra hinge in my wrists at the top of my backswing for some reason!?!

Note: This thread is 3984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!