IGNORED

My Swing (Jakester23)

Jakester23
Note: This thread is 2571 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Swing is looking really neat and tidy - you're making loads of progress! Keep it up :-)

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, b101 said:

Swing is looking really neat and tidy - you're making loads of progress! Keep it up :-)

Thanks I know I have a lot of work to do. 

I went to the range today and worked on my drill. I did hit a few full swings towards the end of the range sessions which went well. The highlight of my practice was testing out my new edel. I love how it feels. The Snell MyTour Balls feel so soft its amazing. My dispersion was much better on longer putts compared to my old putter.  I'm excited to see how it goes Saturday when I get to try it on the course.  

• 2 weeks later...

So I found out that using an Edel putter shouldn't be legal. The dam thing works so good its like cheating.  Today  l played an easy 9 hole course (its cheap so Ill sneak out there when I want to get in a quick round).  I shot +1 with 13 putts.  I only hit 1 good full iron shot and still managed that score.  I made a nice medium length putt on #1, an even longer one with a good amount of break on #2, hit a real good lag that I mis read on #3, another good lag on 4 & 5, I made a long downhill right to left breaker on 6, a 4 footer to save bogey on 7, and left a long big breaker on 9 a few inches short.  I was hitting pushes and pulls with my irons which was kinda upsetting but I can fix that.  That putter just amazes me I can't wait to use it again.

• 2 months later...

I've been busy so I haven't been on much lately. I haven't been playing as much as I'd like hopefully that changes after the 4th. It seems that I've developed a pretty nasty hook with my driver. I don't have any video  (hopefully this week I will handle that).  I wanted to post this to make sure I'm understanding what's happening. So a pull draw is a closed face with a path in to out? I used to hit a pull fade which I thought was a closed club face with a out to in path. I just want to make sure I'm not trying to change my path when I could just change how I deliver the face.

5 hours ago, Jakester23 said:

So a pull draw is a closed face with a path in to out? I used to hit a pull fade which I thought was a closed club face with a out to in path.

The ball starts roughly where the face points and curves away from the path. You can hit a hook swinging out to in as long as the face is closed to the path, just like you can hit a fade swinging in to out if the face is open to the path.

Not that I'm saying you swing out to in or anything, I'm just saying a hook isn't necesarily indicative of one's path.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, billchao said:

The ball starts roughly where the face points and curves away from the path. You can hit a hook swinging out to in as long as the face is closed to the path, just like you can hit a fade swinging in to out if the face is open to the path.

Not that I'm saying you swing out to in or anything, I'm just saying a hook isn't necesarily indicative of one's path.

That's where I'm a bit confused.  I know I have a closed club face since I hit pulls basically all the time.  I thought in order to get a  pull draw you had to have a in to out path.

5 minutes ago, Jakester23 said:

That's where I'm a bit confused.  I know I have a closed club face since I hit pulls basically all the time.  I thought in order to get a  pull draw you had to have a in to out path.

All you have to do is have the face more left of the path for a draw, so say you have the face 8° closed and a path 4° left, the ball will start left and turn left, all with a leftward path.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

All you have to do is have the face more left of the path for a draw, so say you have the face 8° closed and a path 4° left, the ball will start left and turn left, all with a leftward path.

So for a pull draw that means both my  path and face are left of target? 

Just now, Jakester23 said:

So for a pull draw that means both my  path and face are left of target? 

No, not necessarily. That's why I was trying to say I'm not making any assumptions about your swing path. I was just trying to say you can't assume path based on curve alone.

• Upvote 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

No, not necessarily. That's why I was trying to say I'm not making any assumptions about your swing path. I was just trying to say you can't assume path based on curve alone.

Awesome thanks. I'm grasping at straws at this point. It's no fun when your hitting huge hooks.

8 minutes ago, Jakester23 said:

Awesome thanks. I'm grasping at straws at this point. It's no fun when your hitting huge hooks.

Preaching to the choir my friend. What's your typical shot? Are the hooks low bullets or are they big sweeping draws?

Bill

My Swing Thread

Just now, billchao said:

Preaching to the choir my friend. What's your typical shot? Are the hooks low bullets or are they big sweeping draws?

Well before this started happening it was a small pull fade or a small straight draw.  Now it's a lot of low pull hooks that go nowhere.  I do get the occasional big sweeping draw as well. 

54 minutes ago, Jakester23 said:

Well before this started happening it was a small pull fade or a small straight draw.  Now it's a lot of low pull hooks that go nowhere.  I do get the occasional big sweeping draw as well. 

Yea that's not a fun way to play golf. Have you tried opening the club more at address?

You should definitely get a video up when you get a chance.

Bill

My Swing Thread

27 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yea that's not a fun way to play golf. Have you tried opening the club more at address?

You should definitely get a video up when you get a chance.

I haven't tried that but I will. I'll hopefully get some up this week I have to finish a job by the end of the week. I hope I'll have time but I can't guarantee it. After the 4th I'm going to be more focused on golf this summer has sucked for me. No free time to practice or play. 

This is from today after I got done with work.  I was hitting pulls with most of my clubs including the driver. Id say half or them were pull draws maybe more it was a little hard to tell if they all were drawing with the wind going right to left.  I started experimenting with my grip and the only way I could get the ball to go straight or fade was to put my right hand more on top of the grip.  I was pointing the crease of my right hand at my chin.  It was pretty uncomfortable.  Id say 80% of my shots with this grip went straight most with a little fade (which could have been wind). If theres anything you see I need to work feel free to let me know. My thought is I'm not sliding then rotating my hips enough so my lower body is stuck and my arms are ahead of my lower body at impact.

I agree on the hips.  It still looks like that path is going left at impact to me and the ball position seems a bit far forward to me as well, but it could be the angle.  I do think there are just a couple minor adjustments needed to help with this.  Uncomfortable just means something is changed.   Just let me know when you want to head to the range.  

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

4 hours ago, cipher said:

I agree on the hips.  It still looks like that path is going left at impact to me and the ball position seems a bit far forward to me as well, but it could be the angle.  I do think there are just a couple minor adjustments needed to help with this.  Uncomfortable just means something is changed.   Just let me know when you want to head to the range.  

Thanks for the reply bud next week Tuesday or Wednesday night would work for me. Let me know what works for you.

Note: This thread is 2571 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!