IGNORED

Objections to Derek Ernst thanking God after his win?

mp33 man
Note: This thread is 4001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I agree with you though.  Dude's giving a few thanks to some people he feels deserve it.  So what?  How much do most guys wives really help with their golf swing?  Yet, nobody is going to bat an eye if/when they thank them.

Actual

Ace.

+ve rep from me for the analogy of the year. And freaking funny to boot as well.

Awesome, thread about religion. Wonder if there will be a mutual understanding at the end of this thread....

And about Ernst referring to God, seriously who gives two hoots? If anyone honestly cares, they need to get a life. Wonder if Steven Seagal fans would be upset if he thanked Chuck Norris...

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I believe this belongs in the "backhanded compliment" hall of fame. ;)  I realize it's not actually a compliment, but simultaneously defending the guy and making fun of his religion fits in there somewhere. :)

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,"

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by saturday

Awesome, thread about religion. Wonder if there will be a mutual understanding at the end of this thread....

And about Ernst referring to God, seriously who gives two hoots? If anyone honestly cares, they need to get a life. Wonder if Steven Seagal fans would be upset if he thanked Chuck Norris...

No. Chuck Norris is a real and powerful human being. There would be nothing wrong with thanking the bringer of death, least he tear your throat out with his beard. You better respect....

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Originally Posted by ApocG10

No. Chuck Norris is a real and powerful human being. There would be nothing wrong with thanking the bringer of death, least he tear your throat out with his beard. You better respect....

Hahaha, awesome. He also doesn't sleep, he waits.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

While Segal is a fake human being? If you meant that, I'd tend to agree with you. We need to open up a thread on Chuck Norris, Jean Claude Van Damme and Stevie Segal. In the appropriate forum of course.

Carry Bag, experimental mix-- 9* Integra 320, TT X100 Gold shaft
MacGregor Tourney 2-iron circa 1979

High grass club: #5 Ginty
Irons: 3,4,8,9 Cleveland 588P RTG Proforce 95 Gold shafts
Hogan fifty-three Hogan 5612

Ping Kushin

I've always found this "Proselytzing" (sp) argument to be fairly ridiculous. The definition of the word is to induce or recruit others to join your faith. Exactly how does somebody thanking God equate to that? He never said "I want to thank God and ask everybody listening to join my faith"

Proselytizing is precisely what he is doing, otherwise the thanks would be given privately. Ernst spruiks his membership of the FCA - the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, (including on the PGA website) the mission of which is " spread the word of God through athletics." To suggest that his purpose in thanking God as his first post victory utterance with the cameras rolling was not to recruit others is just niave. Views can reasonably differ as to whether that is a legitimate use of golf's big stage, and I join with many who have expressed the view that it is inappropriate, but even if you re untroubled by it, you should at least acknowledge that it is done for recuitment purposes, and not pretend otherwise.

• Upvote 1

Proselytizing is precisely what he is doing, otherwise the thanks would be given privately. Ernst spruiks his membership of the FCA - the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, (including on the PGA website) the mission of which is " spread the word of God through athletics." To suggest that his purpose in thanking God as his first post victory utterance with the cameras rolling was not to recruit others is just niave. Views can reasonably differ as to whether that is a legitimate use of golf's big stage, and I join with many who have expressed the view that it is inappropriate, but even if you re untroubled by it, you should at least acknowledge that it is done for recuitment purposes, and not pretend otherwise.

Naive? You're reading things into what he's saying that aren't there. The definition of Proselytzing is pretty clear cut and him saying "First I want to thank God" does not even come close.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Cheners

Proselytizing is precisely what he is doing, otherwise the thanks would be given privately. Ernst spruiks his membership of the FCA - the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, (including on the PGA website) the mission of which is " spread the word of God through athletics." To suggest that his purpose in thanking God as his first post victory utterance with the cameras rolling was not to recruit others is just niave.

Views can reasonably differ as to whether that is a legitimate use of golf's big stage, and I join with many who have expressed the view that it is inappropriate, but even if you re untroubled by it, you should at least acknowledge that it is done for recuitment purposes, and not pretend otherwise.

You are nuttier than a jar of peanut butter.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Originally Posted by mp33 man

Just curious if the same people that railroaded Kevin Streelman for thanking God are pissed about Derek's comment as well? Maybe a growing trend in golf? Maybe more believers are winning?

Not a big deal in my opinion, if he's a True Christian and proud of it, the more to him. Takes guts............

If God had any influence, don't think he'd have selected the 2013 winner of the Players' Championship. I'm just saying.....

Oh please! You're hatred for all things Tiger knows no bounds does it?

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

If God had any influence, don't think he'd have selected the 2013 winner of the Players' Championship.

I'm just saying.....

obviously you've got me confused with someone else

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

No, but apparently Buddha is more powerful than Jesus' dad.

Originally Posted by Cheners

Withering riposte.

Aparently you dont know what a riposte is, just like you don't know what proselytizing  is.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Rick Martin

If God had any influence, don't think he'd have selected the 2013 winner of the Players' Championship.

I'm just saying.....

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 4001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!