IGNORED

Objections to Derek Ernst thanking God after his win?

Note: This thread is 2914 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just curious if the same people that railroaded Kevin Streelman for thanking God are pissed about Derek's comment as well? Maybe a growing trend in golf? Maybe more believers are winning?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When a microphone is thrust at a victorious player, they invariably thank someone who helped them.  It could be their family, their parents, their swing coach, their God, whatever. In their mind, this

Because those values which most of us prize so highly are not the exclusive property of the Christian sects.  Nor do all self proclaimed Christians adhere to those values.  Throughout much of history

I really don't have any issue with someone thanking their god if they are religious.  IMO, it's a bit presumptuous to think their god has nothing else better to do on their day off than help a pro gol

I really don't have any issue with someone thanking their god if they are religious.  IMO, it's a bit presumptuous to think their god has nothing else better to do on their day off than help a pro golfer win a tournament but whatever works.

• Upvote 3
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it's awesome that Jesus chose to help Derek Ernst win a golf tournament rather than stopping untold numbers of drunk rednecks from raping their own children. What I can't figure out is why Jesus has allowed that buddhist Tiger Woods to win so many times. WTF?

• Upvote 1

Couldnt care less.  If he honestly believes that God helped him win, good for him.  Id like to believe that God has bigger fish to fry though.

Wherever he gets his strength/inspiration from is fine by me, and if he wants to thank his God that's totally his business.

• Upvote 1

What I can't figure out is why Jesus has allowed that buddhist Tiger Woods to win so many times. WTF? LAMO.

Just posted this on Facebook to someone who called Ernst an idiot for thanking God. Some perspective: Ernst was playing only his ninth PGA Tour event. He was No. 1,207 in the world ranking. He was in a car headed to Athens, Ga., to play a Web.com Tour event when he got the phone call that there was a tee time for him at Quail Hollow. Now he is the Players, the World Championships, the PGA Championship and next years Sony Open as well as the Masters and after all that he is GRATEFUL and wants to thank his Creator who gave him life to begin with and you call him an "idiot" for expressing thanks. Idiot.
  • Upvote 1

Gratitude is wonderful. I'm glad i'm alive, that's for sure. But in fact, expressing our gratitude towards some supreme being, who we may think had a part in our being alive, makes more sense, to most people, than simply being grateful towards some curious strand of DNA which lurks in our loins and  seems to have a life of its own. Anyway, the kid played good golf under tough conditions. Now he can talk to Ian Poulter and MA Jimanez about a new car.

If he would have said, "Thank you Peter, I'm gay", then the media and Prez would call and congratulate him.

There is nothing presumptuous about thanking god.  I didn't hear him say, "God hit the ball for me".  God gave him life, therefore thanking him anytime is appropriate...

If he would have said, "Thank you Peter, I'm gay", then the media and Prez would call and congratulate him. There is nothing presumptuous about thanking god.  I didn't hear him say, "God hit the ball for me".  God gave him life, therefore thanking him anytime is appropriate...

God gave him life? Lol! If you say so.

He can thank God all he likes, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Just as a non-believer doesn't have to thank God. Or they can thank whomever they choose. This stuff is so out of hand, lol.

I think it's great that he says what he believes.

God bless the youngster.

To each his own.  It is very polarizing. However, I wonder how the Right Wing conservative crowd would react if he praised Allah after the win.

• Upvote 1

If Ernst wants to thank God for his win, he is absolutely free to do so. I really don't see how a PGA tour winner thanking an entity that other people may or may not believe in incites so much debate. It is irrelevant to anyone but Derek. If he feels a spiritiual connection/belief/whatever played a role in his victory then he is free to communicate that. He is not saying that other people should thank God so that they play better golf. He is just thankful for something in HIS life that he believes played a role in his success.

If a player was sponsored by Titleist, won a tourney, and then thanked his sponsor (Titleist); would people who choose other brands of equipment get up in arms because of it? Would the Callaway guy rant about how the winning player was openly advertising or pushing his brand of clubs on other people? Would someone that did not believe in any of the major OEMs freak out because there is no proof that they are better than no name brands? The answer to these questions is no.

A player can thank whoever or whatever he wants to for his success. You do not have to play a player's equipment or believe in his, her, or any type of god. Freedom of speech and belief folks.

Note: This thread is 2914 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!