IGNORED

Question about installing new grips

Note: This thread is 2738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

28 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

You guys got a free air tool from them?  That's cool.  I had to make one.  I used a standard air nozzle and modified some components I had in my plumbing accessories.  Came out pretty good and I have used it more than 20 times.

Why would anyone do it the old fashion way anymore???

If you are not using rubber grips the air compressor method doesn't work as well.  

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

If you are not using rubber grips the air compressor method doesn't work as well.  

I didn't think anyone uses leather grips anymore.  I thought they were all rubber nowadays. 

Are they using any other materials for grips other than leather or rubber?

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

9 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

I didn't think anyone uses leather grips anymore.  I thought they were all rubber nowadays. 

Some are leather and some are multi-compound that use cord

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Lagavulin62 said:

I am going to start regripping too.  OP you can do it.  Now I have watched many videos and read ip on it.  This is the first time I ever heard of using an air compressor.  I am sure it's a super duper way to do it but I am going to do it the old fashioned way.    I have plenty of junk clubs to practice with.  Looks very simple. 

Why? This is so, so, so much easier and convenient.

2 hours ago, Vinny Cap said:

Virtually all other grips use some plasticizers and other stuff. PURE are, AFAIK, pure rubber. But the grips without cord or leather, etc. can still often be used with an air compressor.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Convenient if I had an air compressor. I don't even use an air compressor for my car tires. A bike pump works just fine. 15 pumps per lb. Saves me the trouble of finding a gas station with a functioning pump, not to mention I then need to get change, and of course do it all in 2 mins or less.   Now if you know how I can do this with a hand pump please educate me.  

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Lagavulin62 said:

Convenient if I had an air compressor. I don't even use an air compressor for my car tires. A bike pump works just fine. 15 pumps per lb. Saves me the trouble of finding a gas station with a functioning pump, not to mention I then need to get change, and of course do it all in 2 mins or less.   Now if you know how I can do this with a hand pump please educate me.  

Buy an air compressor. $70 or so.

You're going to be buying chemicals, drip trays, and double sided tape and stuff otherwise. This is one thing you can buy once and use forever, and for other things, too.

I may have used my air compressor for other things since buying it… but I can't remember what they are. It's more than justified its purchase, just for my own grips.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

32 minutes ago, iacas said:

Virtually all other grips use some plasticizers and other stuff. PURE are, AFAIK, pure rubber. But the grips without cord or leather, etc. can still often be used with an air compressor.

Wayyyyyyyy easier and takes little time.  I have done cord grips from Golf Pride as well as Lamkin and UST Mamia grips.  Never had any issue.

Best to start with a old junk club and a cheap grip.  Put it on and off a few times and then you are pretty much a pro.

How was the tour you guys went on at PURE?

22 minutes ago, Lagavulin62 said:

Compressors are pretty cheap.  If you own a home its not a bad idea to have one.  Can find a used one easily and cheap as well.  A little pancake one for finish guns can fill up tires, do grips, fill air mattresses and fill small pools.

If you can do a grip with a hand pump I want to see the video!:-D

Edited by Vinny Cap
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

How was the tour you guys went on at PURE?

We started with meeting the Engineer/Designer who explained the process along with details of developing different style grips along with viewing cad drawings of the grip molds which are spec'd for criteria of allowing the rubber compounds to flow properly.
Next we were given the nickel tour of the plant and viewed the massive mold/press which the grips were made.
I recall the process only took around 60 or 90 seconds to complete for each casting of eight, then a brief cooling period.
The operator then removed the product and cleaned the molds and started the procedure over.
They could only make one specific style grip on the press and at the time they had two press's.
Color change was simple as they only changed rubber compounds.

Also, they had a custom laser engraver which could produce art graphics / names / logos for special orders.
The warehouse was full of pallets of rubber compounds and small areas were setup for clean up and then to sorting products for stock.
A small work station and stock area and shipping and receiving area. With business growth they worked two shifts and hope to expand or move to a larger facility in the near future.

They then provided grips to everyone along with installing the grips while we were there.
A great tour along with a very educational decryption about all grips and compounds used in manufacturing golf grips.

P2.JPGP5.JPGP7.JPGP10.JPG 

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

1 hour ago, Club Rat said:

started with meeting the Engineer/Designer who explained the process along with details of developing different style grips along with viewing cad drawings of the grip molds which are spec'd for criteria of allowing the rubber compounds to flow properly.

Next we were given the nickel tour of the plant and viewed the massive mold/press which the grips were made.
I recall the process only took around 60 or 90 seconds to complete for each casting of eight, then a brief cooling period.
The operator then removed the product and cleaned the molds and started the procedure over.
They could only make one specific style grip on the press and at the time they had two press's.
Color change was simple as they only changed rubber compounds.

Also, they had a custom laser engraver which could produce art graphics / names / logos for special orders.
The warehouse was full of pallets of rubber compounds and small areas were setup for clean up and then to sorting products for stock.
A small work station and stock area and shipping and receiving area. With business growth they worked two shifts and hope to expand or move to a larger facility in the near future.

They then provided grips to everyone along with installing the grips while we were there.
A great tour along with a very educational decryption about all grips and compounds used in manufacturing golf grips.

Thanks for the recap.  Sounds like a fun trip and you got some goodies as well.  Nothing better than that!

On 11/2/2016 at 10:57 AM, CarlSpackler said:

Is this what you are talking about? I've always wondered if that tool works good.

The Pure Air Tool works well with Pure, Lamkin, Winn, Leather, Golf Pride, etc. You get the picture - all grips. Quick, short bursts.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

On 11/2/2016 at 11:57 AM, CarlSpackler said:

Is this what you are talking about? I've always wondered if that tool works good.

I'm assuming that tool would work just fine since it is designed for that propose.  I use a basic blow gun with a barbed nipple attachment to do mine.  They sell them at any hardware store for $5-20.  I also dip the first inch or so of the grip in mineral spirits to get it started easy.  Without the mineral spirits you run the risk of the grip folding under, building pressure quickly and blowing a bubble in the grip that will not go away.  I have used this method on Winn, Super Stroke, Karma, And Golf Pride.  The Golf Pride MCC +4 is a half cord/ half soft rubber compound that I have done many times with the air compressor method with great success.

I would also add that you can used the air compressor method to take off grips that were put on the traditional way.  It depends on the condition of the grip and the type of tape used, but I have saved grips this way to use later.  If you inject mineral spirits (grip tape solvent) in the butt of the grip, then slide a tube over the grip(to catch a blowout), and while wearing safety glasses, give it a blast of air the a twist, then a blast and twist the other way.  Inject some more solvent and repeat until the grip comes off or explodes under pressure.  If it explodes well that is what the tube was there for and you would have destroyed the grip cutting it off anyway so you only lost a few drops of mineral spirits and got an exciting little jump when it went off like a tiny rubber grenade.

On 11/3/2016 at 8:27 AM, Lagavulin62 said:

I am going to start regripping too.  OP you can do it.  Now I have watched many videos and read ip on it.  This is the first time I ever heard of using an air compressor.  I am sure it's a super duper way to do it but I am going to do it the old fashioned way.    I have plenty of junk clubs to practice with.  Looks very simple. 

Not difficult. But the air cuts time by more than one-half, and then if you don't like the grip, blow them off and use them or sell the grips with full disclosure. I've got a set of Pure Pro that I blew off as soon as I received the clubs.

Also, no more cutting off grips and scraping and scraping and scraping the tape off -- that in itself makes air worthwhile. But if you want to suffer...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Thanks to all who responded and offered encouragement. As it turned out and since we were going to be in the area anyway, I dropped off seven clubs and grips that I purchased from another forum member at Dick's. We went shopping and returned in about half hour. He was working on the last club when we walked in.

Granted, if I changed grips very often, I would definitely go the air gun route.  The convenience was worth it.  BTW,  the new grips look fantastic!  Winn Dri-tech anniversary model (golden brown) on Ben Hogan Legend Black Graphite shafts with gold lettering.

While there, I noted they have a grip kit containing solvent, tape strips, grip guides for up to fifteen clubs at $14.95  I paid $2.99/grip to have mine installed while shopping. A little steel wool, and I will have those old Hogan's looking pretty good!

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

On 11/3/2016 at 8:51 AM, Vinny Cap said:

Leather Lives!!

Gripmaster USA (avaiable from Regal Brands) Do a search if interested. I like the perforated wrap for woods, hybrids, and wedges. I typically purchase the seconds for almost half price (second = too much tack, so you wrap them in a small cotton towel for 4-5 days to reduce tack). They also had first quality for $15 last week instead of $25. Probably a limited deal because they ran out of seconds.

BestGrips.com (located just north of Houston in Conroe - piney woods) They make a nice stitched grip that is perforated - I use them on irons.

I blew them on - but blew the first gripmaster up - from that, I learned quick, short bursts with one hand over the grip and pushing it down while the other hand is doing the burst.

I like leather because if you don't enjoy gloves, and get sweaty hands or play in the rain - nothing tacks like leather. They last several years, too.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Note: This thread is 2738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!