IGNORED

Your favorite -- or least favorite -- golf clichés

Q.Q.Quillume
Note: This thread is 5317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Favorite= "Sorry guys, let me take out my tampon and hit that again."
not sure if its cliche but it is funny

I also like the "tree wood"

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just last week, I played in a mini-tour event and the guy I played with did not play well at all. My caddy, in trying to offer a little consoling, said, "mama said there would be days like this". Without missing a beat, the guy said, "I wish my mama was here, I need a hug".

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

One I use once in while while ribbing buddies, "it's not straight, but at least it's short, or it's short, but at least it's crooked".

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

You shut your mouth! If Arnie says he put overspin on the drive at Cherry Hills, then that exactly how it went down!

Ha Ha, I apologize to you and mister Palmer.

theincrediblegolfbum.blogspot.com Aol messenger: "Drifterland88"

Driver Tour Burner 9.5 s (Best Driver Ever!)
3-Wood Burner 07 14.5 s
3-Hybrid Halo 22degree Irons X-Forged Project 6.o Rifle s-flexGW SV 52.08 SW Tour Action 900 56.12 LW Oil Can 60.06

When somone in our group tops the ball or mishits short there is a guy that alsways says "at least you advanced the ball" This guy happens to also be significantly worse than anyone else in our group.

Driver: Titleist 905T 9.5* Stiff
3 Wood: Titleist 975F 13.5* Stiff
5 Wood: Cleavland Launcher 19* Stiff
Irons: 3-9 Titleist 670 DG s300
PW: Titleist Vokey 246.06GW: Titleist Vokey 252.08SW: Cleavland 588 Tour Action 56*Putter: Ping Pal 2

"Hm... i think its safe, lets go" *after a splash
In my Warbird Hot Stand Bag:

Driver: R9 420cc 9.5° stiff
3 Wood: Burner 07 Fairway #3 Stiff
5 Wood: Burner 07 Fairway #5 Stiff3 Hybrid: Burner 08 Rescue #3 StiffIrons: MX-25 4-G Project X 5.5SW: CG12 STD bounce 56° Black PearlLW: CG12 STD bounce 60° Black PearlPutter: California...

I like it when you hit a tree and someone says that it was a "tree-mendous" shot. Oh yeah, that gets funnier every time.

Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 18*
Irons: Mizuno MP60 (4-PW)
Wedges: Vokey SM 50/54/58/62
Putter: Yes! CallieBall: TM PentaHome course: DeBell Golf Club http://www.debellgolf.com/

"wow that's a nice golf shot!"
golf shot!!!??? really!!! WTF!!!!!

"boy Jim that was a nice basketball shot" (or hockey shot or baseball catch)
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Ones I hate: "Don't try to kill the ball" Well, you can not kill it if you want, but that's why I'm hitting it 280 and you're hitting it 180, lol. 4
"It's in the hole!" No explanation necessary.
I don't have a ton that I hate, but I have a few that I like: "Hitting it flush" Don't now why, but I love that word, flush. Lol.
"Good ball!"
"Bump N' Run"
"Phil Flop", lol love that
That's about it really.

In my White/Red/Yellow Monza Featherweight Stand Bag:
Driver: 07 Burner 9.5* stiff
3 Wood: 07 Burner 15* stiff
5 Wood: 07 Burner 18* stiff
Irons 4-AW: r7 steel shaft stiffWedges: RAC Satin 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 35 InchBall: Bridgestone e7+, Titleist Pro V1Shoes: D3000Glove: ...

When I leave a putt short, and someone says "you gotta hit it..."

I did hit it, evidenced by the fact that the ball moved.

I just didn't hit it hard enough.

But next time I will be sure to swing it harder.

That's an important life lesson, one I will apply when I swing my XG Teron into his cash and prizes.

Driver = Dymo2 10.5*
3W = Sumo2 15*
Hyb= G10 18*
3-PW = G10 Graphite
SW = SV Tour Black 56*/10LW = Aspire 60*Putter = XG TeronBag = Clip-Lok Stand BagBall = Zip

Every single shot someone hits on our high school team is now followed by the words "ball."

Instead of "good ball", it was shortened to just "ball."

I hate it.

I also hate "Go in!" when it's pretty apparent that it's either left short, or its curving too much.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

I got randomly paired with this guy a few weeks ago. After every shot (full, chip, putt, whatever), he had to comment. If a putt missed just short and left, then he'd say, "wow...should've hit that a bit harder and to the right". If you hit it onto the back of the green and the pin was in front... "should've hit it softer or one less club, that pin was in the front".

This guy was an idiot and I beat him by at least 15 strokes! It was really hard to ignore... but, I just looked at it as a learning tool and laughed it off.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

The Good:

A friend of mine came up with "legit sticks" for a good shot. At first I hated it, but it's grown on me a lot.

I really enjoy overusing Gary Koch's infamous "better than most" on a chip or long putt that looks like it has a chance to drop.

I also like phrases with "sauce" in them -- "weak sauce" for something that comes up short, "garb sauce" for a terrible shot.

The old saws about a massive pull (i.e., a "dead yank") being a "Thurman Munson" and a poor shot that has a fortunate result (i.e., one that "got away with murder") being an "O.J. Simpson" are also pretty good.

Finally, my friends and I have named a short putt that barely gets to the hole a "Vijay." (Remember his three-foot birdie putt on 18 during the third round of this year's PGA Championship?)

------------

The Bad:

In my first ever post on this forum (in this thread no less ... glad to see it resuscitated after its two-year coma), I complained about "not a lot of green to work with." Well, it still sucks.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

I really enjoy overusing Gary Koch's infamous "better than most" on a chip or long putt that looks like it has a chance to drop.

I really hated that like from the second I first heard it.

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a good buddy that I play with all the time. On this one hole, he is ALWAYS right of the fairway in nearly the same spot every time. He made the comment once that he had a mailbox put in at that spot. Now every time we play, I remind him to check his mail. Also, sometimes when either of us has a bad day putting, we call it a Ray Charles day on the greens.

I really hated that like from the second I first heard it.

Yup, "better than most" is annoying as hell ... that's why I love using it to irritate friends. So I guess I like the line not for itself but for its effect.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

"wow that's a nice golf shot!"

Believe it or not... Golf's "Basketball Shot"... ;)

Driver Cleveland HiBORE XLS 9.5°

Hybrid 3I Adams A7

Irons 3-PW Wilson Air Power

Wedges Cleveland CG10 52° Chrome, Cleveland Reg. 588 56° Chrome, Cleveland Reg. 588 60° Gunmetal

Putter Cleveland Classic #3

Best Score 80 (+8) - July 22, 2011 @ Highland Woods Golf Course (Blue Tees - 71.7/122)

Note: This thread is 5317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!