IGNORED

First ever tournament!

MULVn8tor
Note: This thread is 3749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So on Thursday I'm in a high school tournament. It's my first ever tournament. Lunch is included. Was wondering what things I should bring. Thanks!

I also play for my highschool team. Next season will be my last season sadly, but anyways you don't need much.. Just bring your bag, umbrella and rain gear, extra sleeve of balls, lucky ball marker, 2 gloves, rain gloves, towel, water (4 bottles, 2 for each side), and snacks! Haha my coach is good at getting us there like 2 hours before our tee time so we get plenty of time to hit balls and warm up. But MOST IMPORTANTLY learn the speed and type of grass the greens are.. The day can go from ok ball striking wise to really good if your putting well. Other than that, just go out and have fun.. Tournaments are great!

Agree 2 hours is way to much, 45 min is what i need, warmup for me is only 20 balls on the range, pitching 15 min. chipping 10 min.

rest i'm on the putting green.

As for Stuff to bring with you: It all depends on the weather forecast.

I always bring some fruit and drinks for on the course.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

You should bring the same stuff you bring every time you play golf.  Don't over think it.  In order for you to get good at tournament golf, you need to get away from thinking that a tournament round is somehow special.  Relax and play your normal game.  Try to keep in your same routine, and have fun.

Good luck!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Relaxation is key. Practice time all depends on what you need. Since most highschool teams only get 1 or 2 range stalls to use it takes us a good 45 mins to hit balls. Then 30 mins on the greens. Them 15 to chip and then you have 30 minutes to relax and learn the scorecard and holes. That's just my schools routine before tournaments tho. Goodluck and have fun!

You should bring the same stuff you bring every time you play golf.  Don't over think it.  In order for you to get good at tournament golf, you need to get away from thinking that a tournament round is somehow special.  Relax and play your normal game.  Try to keep in your same routine, and have fun. Good luck!

Couldn't agree more. I played my first competitive tournament about 2 months ago. I woke up early, wore my lucky shirt, got there 2 hours early, hit a shit load of balls, was feeling good and tripled the first hole. It took me a about 5 holes, and about 7 strokes over par to stop caring and relax. I finally settled into my game and finished 4 strokes over my index. Considering I gave more than half of those in the first 5 holes, I'll call it a mental victory. Played my second event a couple of weeks ago and shot 2 strokes under my index. Got there 20 minutes before my tee time, hit about 10 balls on the range, chipped a few and spent a little time putting. Night and day. Don let the hype of the situation get you. It's just a round. Have fun.

Originally Posted by golf55

do you win prizes in these tournament? I mean what's the point of playing if you can't earn any price.

Really?  These are high school kids.  They play for their school, pride, and probably just hardware.  Isn't that enough?  Don't need them growing up like the spoiled brats on the PGA Tour that think they don't get paid well enough to play on the Ryder Cup team.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Originally Posted by RickK

Really?  These are high school kids.  They play for their school, pride, and probably just hardware.  Isn't that enough?  Don't need them growing up like the spoiled brats on the PGA Tour that think they don't get paid well enough to play on the Ryder Cup team.

I wasn't talking about high school. You know those local tournament you pay $150 for. Why enter if you can't win to collect the prize. Sounds like a waste to me

Originally Posted by golf55

I wasn't talking about high school. You know those local tournament you pay $150 for. Why enter if you can't win to collect the prize. Sounds like a waste to me

Sorry.  The OP is talking about playing in his first high school tournament.  Prettymuch all of the tournaments I play in have prizes.  But, those prizes may just be cheap tropies or the like. Guess it all depends upon whether it is a charity event or not.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Bring your A-game!

Seriously though, a great tip like others have already said, be relaxed... the last tournament I played in, it was years ago actually, but I was nervous... The way the first tee was set up didn't help me either. We tee'd off in front of everyone at the event, so there were like probably 60 people crowded around the tee box and it really got me going. My tempo was way too quick for most, if not the entire round after that and I played terrible.

Just stick to your game, use your head when you need to, and slow yourself down if you're getting nervous. Above all, just have a good time!

MY GEAR:

Driver/Woods/Hybrids: RBZ Tour

Irons: X Forged 2013's

Wedges: SM4's (52/56)

Putter: PROTYPE Series

Balls: HEX Black Tour/Chrome +  Pro V1x/NXT Tour

Originally Posted by MULVn8tor

The tournament had trophies for winning teams and also prizes for lowest individual scores

How'd it go?

I still remember my first high school tournament out of the foursome I was paired with 2 individuals made it to state and another was all league in our conference, pretty stiff competition for a freshman to be thrown into, but a great learning experience.

In The Bag

Driver: Taylormade Supertri 9.5

3 Wood: Titleist 909 F2 

Hybrid: Adams 

Irons: 3-PW Mizuno MP64

Wedges: Vokey SM2 56* and 60*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback #1

• 6 months later...

Hijacking this thread instead of opening another thread with same topic.

Today was day 1 of 2 of my 1st ever tournament.  Here's what I went through and learned.

- My current handicap is 19.6 from a course which, by everyone's account, plays 2 - 3 strokes harder.   If they are right, I figure I should be doing better on another course (Del Monte, Monterey, CA) even though it will be my first time playing there.  Sure enough, I did well (considering), carding 93 from white tee (70.5/128).    I will see if I play better than my HI tomorrow on another new course (Spanish Bay).

- I was mentally sharp for the tournament and it helped my 1st half score.   But getting up early, putting and waiting around (of course, I was there 90 minutes before starting tee time :roll: ) for tournament to begin took a toll toward the end.   I lost focus and made some empty headed mistakes down the stretch.  I played 11 over on the last 6 holes (vs 10 over the 1st 12).

- I was nervous on short putts and missed 4 - 5 short putts I'd normally make.   Putting felt different when in tournament.   Hopefully, I would not feel nervous tomorrow. Still putted 34 times on a very fast green (fastest I remember).

- Hit number of provision in case I could not find my ball.  I didn't want to come back and re-tee.   Thankfully, I had no OB or lost ball today.   I started and finished the round with one ball.  LOL, I brought 2 dozen balls just to make sure that I don't run out.

- Other than the above, I played my usual way, joking around, enjoying scenery, keeping cool (even through 11 over 6 hole stretch).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!