IGNORED

Golfing Colloquialisms Thread!

ColeMc
Note: This thread is 3939 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Heard a new one yesterday.

A "Monica Lewinsky" ("All lip and no hole" when people ask lol) - A lipped out putt

• Upvote 2

- Brice

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway:Big Bertha Alpha (9.5d)

3 Wood: :callaway: X Hot (15d)

Irons: :ping:I-20 (4-PW)

Wedges: :callaway: Forged (50 & 54)

Putter: :ping: Cadence TR Anser 2 Counterbalance

Scumbagging.

I have just now decided that I will forever use the term scumbagging instead of sandbagging. It's just a little more apropos.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Cajun Ball - Blue Bayou

Do they serve lunch on that flight? - compliment to the Blue Bayou

Butterfly with sore feet - a floater with a soft landing

Fluff-in-nutter - floating it out of the bunker

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

A "Hozel Rocket".  I can't say or type the commonly referred to term for this shot for fear of bad karma.  Anyone that has ever experienced a bad case of the hozel rockets knows what it is.

The most difficult distance in golf is the six inches between your ears.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by BugDude

A "Hozel Rocket".  I can't say or type the commonly referred to term for this shot for fear of bad karma.  Anyone that has ever experienced a bad case of the hozel rockets knows what it is.

Shank.

Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank.

Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank.

It's just a word people.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

"A Quacker" = a duck hook

"A Chili Dip" = hitting it fat and the ball barely going anywhere, like you were dipping chili with a ladel

When you take a big divot and a long solid piece of turf ends up laying in the fairway we call it "a beaver pelt" because it is so big it looks like someone skinned a beaver and left it laying there on the ground.  (the turf was different in the mountains and this happened.  in Florida, it just flies into a million pieces and you fill the hole with sand rather than replace the divot)

When someone would take a big divot we would say "throw a tater in that hole" or "are you digging a well or hitting a golf ball?"

A buddy of ours had a particularly difficult day hitting into the trees and after the round we said "He spent more time in the woods than the boyscouts of America"

A different round that same buddy hit into more water than any human in history.  When it was over we said "He put more balls in the water than the men's olympic swim team."  After that round I told him if I were ever stranded in the dessert, I didn't want a divining rod or any other instrument to find water.  Just him, a driver, and a Titleist and I'm sure he would strike water within a minute.

That course was so difficult, I lost a ball in the ball washer.

There's so much water on that course, your caddy is Bill Dance.

The greens were slicker than frozen owl snot.

• Upvote 1

Just for the record (*looking up in the sky*), I wasn't the one that said "The S word"...so don't blame me.

A golf buddy of mine back home refers to it as "a low push" out of fear of saying the word.

That ball is Mahatma - (Gone-Di). Usually a huge high slice. Although, we pretty much just say, that ball is Ghandi. That shot is fat as the chicks you used to lay at ______ high school. I have "this one" for par. Usually a long way from the green. Never gets old.

When someone nails a putt that's going well past the hole, we yell "hit a house" or "spin back".

When someone hits an approach that is obviously not going to be anywhere close to the green we say, "Well, you took the green out of play."

When someone plays a chip shot with no finesse whatsoever, we say "you have the touch of a blacksmith" or we call them "Shaquill No Feel."

A horrible shot followed by either a thrown club or swearing - "Well you don't see that much on tour."

Variation: Whenever I hack up a hole & finally hole out for a triple - "I'm still waiting on that tour card to arrive."

Originally Posted by iacas

Shank.

Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank. Shank.

It's just a word people.

• Upvote 1

-- In the Bag --

Cobra S3 White Driver (10.5*)

Cobra AMP Cell-S 3-Hybrid (18*)

Cobra AMP Cell-S Irons (4i-GW)

SCOR 4161 Forged Wedge (55*)

Cleveland VP1 Putter

Originally Posted by zipazoid

A horrible shot followed by either a thrown club or swearing - "Well you don't see that much on tour."

Variation: Whenever I hack up a hole & finally hole out for a triple - "I'm still waiting on that tour card to arrive."

Zip, we all know that if you had a better attitude, practiced more, believed in yourself, and really, really wanted it, that card would come. And when that day comes, Mark Stephenhagens for everyone!

Whenever I see a horrible shot, sometimes I mutter, "That's going to be a hellova par from there!"

• Upvote 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Zip, we all know that if you had a better attitude, practiced more, believed in yourself, and really, really wanted it, that card would come. And when that day comes, Mark Stephenhagens for everyone!

LOL. I think I'll start a thread - 'Hi everyone! I'm 54 years old and a five handicap and I'm going to make the tour!"

Trevino: "You can talk to a slice but a hook won' t listen."

Originally Posted by HastyElephant

Heard a new one yesterday.

A "Monica Lewinsky" ("All lip and no hole" when people ask lol) - A lipped out putt

LOL!!!  we call that one a "Junior Prom" for the same reason...

i also like "Thurman Munson" when theres a pulled tee shot - a dead Yank...

Colin P.

Originally Posted by iacas

Shank.

It's just a word people.

That's an entire round worth of words!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

a Linda Ronstadt "Blue Bayou"

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Originally Posted by boogielicious

That's an entire round worth of words!

actually, just nine holes for me...

Colin P.

For my Golfing buddies, and me it is any reference to Flowers or Plants. For example, A missed Putt, would be "You got to plant the seed if you expect it to grow". Or for someone deep in some woods, one would say" If you prune those tree’s now, it will be so much more difficult to get out of there next year".

"Look at the pretty Flowers" or "I see Flowers" always gets mentioned when driving out to play, and you first see your first glimpse of the course.

"I saw Flowers today!" is the best though. That’s when we see Flag sticks on a green for the first time in April, meaning winter is over, and it’s time to play! Any reference will work.

This originated about five years ago when I went out with one partner in particular, and we got to play on one of the 18’s at Tunxis Plantation. We were the only player’s allowed out on that course that morning, since they had a shotgun tournament beginning at noon, and the grounds keepers were busy getting it ready. He’s a much better player than I am, but unfortunately he was having a really bad day. Mid round he hit one of his lousiest shots of the day. Throwing his club to the ground and after saying a few "choice" words he turns to me and says, "Did you see that?"

(Of course I did). But from where I was standing, he was directly in line with a huge manicured garden planting behind him, and all I could muster was " Richie, I was looking at all the pretty flowers…" And for the rest of that round and many rounds afterwards, silly remarks have been made. It was really great day, and many afterwards.

I’ll toss one out to The Sand Trap members, anybody recognize it?

"Me? I’m just a lawn mower, you can tell me by the way I walk"

~Tom B.

~Tom B.

I ordered a Chicken and an Egg on the Internet, to find out which came first... I'll keep you posted!

Note: This thread is 3939 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!