IGNORED

Ban Metal Spikes on Tour

canadianpro
Note: This thread is 3817 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Ban metal spikes on the PGA Tour?

• Yes
    • No

The only thing I miss about metal spikes is the sound they made walking across the cart path and the sensation of them entering into a crunchy green. I don't miss the sliding on the concrete when you are in a hurry to get out of the rain and lightning.  The new technology is a lot easier on the greens and for most people, a lot safer.

Ain't that the truth? There was just "Something" about that sound.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's not so much the spikes it's the people who don't know how to wear them.

In fact, there are many greenkeepers who think the multipronged plastic ones do more damage to greens than metal ones.

Again, caused by idiots who drag their feet and don't give a crap about other players.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

It's not so much the spikes it's the people who don't know how to wear them. In fact, there are many greenkeepers who think the multipronged plastic ones do more damage to greens than metal ones. Again, caused by idiots who drag their feet and don't give a crap about other players.

That's true, I've seen lots of damaged greens where you can clearly see each individual scrape from all of the nubs on someone's soft spikes.

Colin P.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Shorty

In fact, there are many greenkeepers who think the multipronged plastic ones do more damage to greens than metal ones.

Again, caused by idiots who drag their feet and don't give a crap about other players.

Those same people tore up the greens with metal spikes, too.

I played at the same course, with the same superintendent, budget, weather, etc. in back to back years on each side of that course's metal spike ban.

The greens were WAY better the second year. If you think metal spikes didn't rip up greens like crazy, you either have a faulty memory or you weren't playing golf in 1993 or so.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I agree with Shorty. It's more about the guy wearing the shoes and his self-awareness. You probably need to be a little more aware with the spikes but it's not the shoe that's the problem it's the idiot wearing them, idiots can trash a green with freaking flip/flops on. Lift your god-damn feet people.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

The thing is, the new spikes don't pull up tufts of grass even when walking carefully like the steel spikes did.  They make little indentations which go away in a few minutes, usually gone by the time the next group gets to the green.  Like Erik, I played through the change, and greens were so much better by the second or 3rd year after switching to mandatory soft spikes that there was no longer any argument for steel which had any validity.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I agree with Shorty. It's more about the guy wearing the shoes and his self-awareness. You probably need to be a little more aware with the spikes but it's not the shoe that's the problem it's the idiot wearing them, idiots can trash a green with freaking flip/flops on. Lift your god-damn feet people.

This.  Nothing is worse than someone wearing brand new black widows dragging their feet up to the hole.

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

Quote:

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

The only thing I miss about metal spikes is the sound they made walking across the cart path and the sensation of them entering into a crunchy green.

Ain't that the truth? There was just "Something" about that sound.

I miss it because it was the last sound you heard before you stepped onto the course. It meant golf was going to happen.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Agree all you want, you're both wrong. :) You're going to get good and bad walkers with either kind of spike.

With metal, even the good walkers did damage that lasted.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

The thing is, the new spikes don't pull up tufts of grass even when walking carefully like the steel spikes did.  They make little indentations which go away in a few minutes, usually gone by the time the next group gets to the green.  Like Erik, I played through the change, and greens were so much better by the second or 3rd year after switching to mandatory soft spikes that there was no longer any argument for steel which had any validity.

Yup.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The only downside to soft spikes is the cost. I spend more on spikes in a year now than I spent in the entire first 20 years I played the game. Still worth it, given the improvement in greens though.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

The only downside to soft spikes is the cost. I spend more on spikes in a year now than I spent in the entire first 20 years I played the game.

Still worth it, given the improvement in greens though.....

I had to replace steel just as often as I do the soft ones.  Maybe walking more on hard surfaces.  One thing I really don't miss is how slippery they were on hard surfaces. or how on a hot summer day they would sink right up to the base in asphalt, then you tracked black tar any where you walked for a while after.

Rick

Originally Posted by colin007

I've never actually heard the sound of metal spikes, only started playing in the late 90s...

Picture the sound of knuckles cracking with every step.

Probably not a popular opinion - but I miss the metal spikes, although the onus was on the golfer to tread carefully and respectfully on the greens.

The modern plastic spikes? To be be honest, anyone weighing 200+ may just as well wear New Balance on the golf course, rather than golf shoes. There is no noticeable difference in adhesion. And if you're going to walk the course, the New Balance will be more comfortable.

I had to replace steel just as often as I do the soft ones.  Maybe walking more on hard surfaces.

Not if you got the tungsten ones - they ended up being like a pencil with the lead sticking out.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I had to replace steel just as often as I do the soft ones.  Maybe walking more on hard surfaces.  One thing I really don't miss is how slippery they were on hard surfaces. or how on a hot summer day they would sink right up to the base in asphalt, then you tracked black tar any where you walked for a while after.

Really? I probably replace soft spikes every 3 months....call it 25 rounds [U]max[/U]. I bet I didn't replace metal spikes once every other year. And soft spikes are a LOT more expensive!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

Quote:

Really? I probably replace soft spikes every 3 months....call it 25 rounds max. I bet I didn't replace metal spikes once every other year. And soft spikes are a LOT more expensive!

I wore the steel ones down to nubs about twice a year.  I did own a set of the carbide ones, just a few months before my home course banned them.  And everything is more expensive now some 20 years later, so I'd have to see a cost and inflation comparison to make any value judgement on that.  The last set of soft spikes I bought were about $12 if I remember it right ( it was a couple of years ago, and I haven't played since April of 2012).

Rick

Ban them. Don't mean to sound crude but tour players need to learn how to swing with quieter feet. Flare out the left foot and keep it flat as flat as possible throughout the swing. I havent replaced my worn-out soft spikes in ages because my feet never slip. Don't get me wrong because they used to, but now I know better. some of the greats wouldve been fine with soft spikes if metal weren't standard back in the days.

Note: This thread is 3817 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!