IGNORED

Ban Metal Spikes on Tour

canadianpro
Note: This thread is 3823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Ban metal spikes on the PGA Tour?

• Yes
    • No

After seeing that Lee Janzen was DQ'd for wearing steel spikes in the US Open, I believe it is time for the PGA Tour to ban the use of "nails". Spike marks are basically a thing of the past for most of the golfing population and why should the rule "change" when a PGA Tour event is played? Merion does not allow steel for member play...so why can they use them this week?

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

Because its a USGA event, and they trump Merion club rules.

I agree thought, just get rid of metal spikes, only a handful of players wear them, they tear up the greens.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by saevel25

Because its a USGA event, and they trump Merion club rules.

I agree thought, just get rid of metal spikes, only a handful of players wear them, they tear up the greens.

I agree with this. I really do not see the point in metal spikes anymore and I can't even think of a club/course within 100 miles of my home that allows them off the top of my head.

Problem, such as it is, is solving itself. They're dying out naturally -- none of the younger guys wear them.

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Stretch

Problem, such as it is, is solving itself. They're dying out naturally -- none of the younger guys wear them.

I heard that you wear them when you mow your yard. For aerification purposes only.

They are dying out naturally. Good point.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I think I have seen Rory wearing them, but maybe I am wrong.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Yeah, pretty sure Rory was wearing steel spikes last year. Don't know about this year, he's usually not on TV. :p

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

He's a 50/50. Wears these plastic spikes with a shorter metal tip.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

The only thing I miss about metal spikes is the sound they made walking across the cart path and the sensation of them entering into a crunchy green. I don't miss the sliding on the concrete when you are in a hurry to get out of the rain and lightning.  The new technology is a lot easier on the greens and for most people, a lot safer.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I will say that the new AdiZeros **** up a green like nothing I've ever seen before.

Can you see how the soft spikes are on the end of those molded nubs on the forefoot? Well if the green is soft, you sink in all the way to the sole and now the entire spike complex is a 1/4 inch below the surface of the green. If you pivot at all or, God forbid, drag your feet -- it literally takes chunks out. They stopped selling them in our club pro shop because the greenskeeper swore he would head butt any member he saw wearing them. I only wear mine at the course where I'm not a member -- and never if it's been raining.

Stretch.

I will say that the new AdiZeros **** up a green like nothing I've ever seen before.

Can you see how the soft spikes are on the end of those molded nubs on the forefoot? Well if the green is soft, you sink in all the way to the sole and now the entire spike complex is a 1/4 inch below the surface of the green. If you pivot at all or, God forbid, drag your feet -- it literally takes chunks out. They stopped selling them in our club pro shop because the greenskeeper swore he would head butt any member he saw wearing them. I only wear mine at the course where I'm not a member -- and never if it's been raining.

I am having a vision of the Ferris Bueller movie when he is lip syncing the words to Twist and Shout and then you on the green after you just rolled one in from 15 feet with the greenskeeper making a charge to head butt you.

• Upvote 1

I would watch that movie! If only because it would be the first time I ever made anything from 15 feet.

Stretch.

I would watch that movie! If only because it would be the first time I ever made anything from 15 feet.

I don't know if you are kidding, but Ferris Bueller is a classic skipping high school movie. "If you have the means, I would highly recommend picking one up."

Now back on topic!

Not back on topic yet. I meant the movie where I make the putt and then the greenskeeper comes thundering in and gives me the Glasgow kiss.

If you're implying that I might be the kind of person who hasn't seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off at least a dozen times, then we're through my friend.

Stretch.

Not back on topic yet. I meant the movie where I make the putt and then the greenskeeper comes thundering in and gives me the Glasgow kiss.

If you're implying that I might be the kind of person who hasn't seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off at least a dozen times, then we're through my friend.

Not at all, especially after hearing that you were the Sausage King of Cape Town.

Note: This thread is 3823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!