IGNORED

2013 NCAA College Football

LucasBP
Note: This thread is 3696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by teamroper60

That's just it. The Big 10 is only a power conference in name. They aren't really a power conference in terms of on field play. Haven't been for several years.

Would you call anyone other than the SEC a "power conference."  As ChuckDee pointed out, the Big 10 is on par with the Pac 12 and Big12.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, let's look at facts..

Your numbers are only listing the BCS bowls (which by their nature, skew the results because of the limits placed on who can participate in those bowls) and encompasses the entire BCS era.   I specifically stated in post 30 that the Big 10 has been down the past few years and in the post above that they have not been for several years. I did not limit it just to the BCS bowls either.    If one looks at the last five (which I would consider a few and/or several) years of bowl wins, here is how it shakes out:

SEC-- 29 wins; 17 losses (63% winning percentage)

Big12-- 21 wins; 19 losses (52.5% winning percentage)

PAC12-- 15 wins; 16 losses (48.3% winning percentage)

ACC-- 17 wins; 23 losses (42.5% winning percentage)

BIG 10--  14 wins; 25 losses (35.8% winning percentage)

So based on the last few years, I would definitely not say a conference with the fewest bowl wins,the most bowl losses and the lowest winning percentage, was on the same page with the SEC or Big 12 and given that they have nearly lost twice as many as they have won over that time period, I would not call them a power conference either.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Yes, let's look at facts..

Your numbers are only listing the BCS bowls (which by their nature, skew the results because of the limits placed on who can participate in those bowls) and encompasses the entire BCS era.   I specifically stated in post 30 that the Big 10 has been down the past few years and in the post above that they have not been for several years.  I did not limit it just to the BCS bowls either.    If one looks at the last five (which I would consider a few and/or several) years of bowl wins, here is how it shakes out:

SEC-- 29 wins; 17 losses (63% winning percentage)

Big12-- 21 wins; 19 losses (52.5% winning percentage)

PAC12-- 15 wins; 16 losses (48.3% winning percentage)

ACC-- 17 wins; 23 losses (42.5% winning percentage)

BIG 10--  14 wins; 25 losses (35.8% winning percentage)

So based on the last few years, I would definitely not say a conference with the fewest bowl wins,the most bowl losses and the lowest winning percentage, was on the same page with the SEC or Big 12 and given that they have nearly lost twice as many as they have won over that time period, I would not call them a power conference either.

...And boom goes the dynamite.

Tyler Martin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I see the Heisman as completely up for grabs.   Manziel is too full of himself to repeat and he isn't gonna sneak up on anybody, so I could see A&M; ending up with about 7 wins.  ...

Manziel has acceptable size (6-foot-1, 210 lbs.), but he might get banged up this season if he doesn't trade a little recklessness for self-protection. Teams have a season of game footage to watch on him, so SEC defensive coordinators may find ways to slow him down. Johnny Football won't get second Heisman unless he really is Superman.

Personally, I'm just hoping my Missouri Tigers return to winning ways and get a decent bowl game. QB James Franklin seems to have recovered from a laundry list of injuries last season, with solid backup Maty Mauk (older brother Ben was QB for U. of Cincinnati, and later played Canadian and Arena Football), and last year's hot-and-cold but now wiser backup Corbin Berkstresser. Six of Missouri's top eight receivers are 6-4 or taller, and all eight have at least some game experience.

Missouri also had season-ending injuries to several linemen on both sides of the ball - makes me wonder if the strength training program needs a tweak. Half of injuries came in August, or in pre-SEC games.

Even if the MU offense is hot, the defense must get past its wait-and-see attitude. Defense got toasted in November. Needs to be more aggressive - only 4 interceptions all year. Waiting for the other offense to scew up didn't work at end in Big XII, and it certainly won't work in SEC. I sense the defense is too top down - DC needs to delegate more calls to the safeties on-field so they can react to offensive quick changes. Last year saw too many cases of indecision among defensive backs when ball was snapped.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I'm still trying to decide whether I care about my new college's football team. They're in their first season of FBS football, they aren't eligible for postseason play, they play in a mostly-empty NFL stadium, and they moved to a horrible basketball conference to play top-level football. As far as I can tell, they exist to provide cannon fodder for SEC teams during the non-conference schedule.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Ohio State has a good team, a good QB and a great coach, but considering the way the Big 10 as a whole has been down the past few years, an unbeaten record does not assure them of a shot at the national championship.     Unless the Big 10 as a whole makes a huge turnaround this year, I suspect it will take everyone else having lost at least one game and the SEC champ will have to have lost 2 before Ohio State gets into the top 2.   My prediction is LSU against either the Big 12 or Pac 12 champ.

I see the Heisman as completely up for grabs.   Manziel is too full of himself to repeat and he isn't gonna sneak up on anybody, so I could see A&M; ending up with about 7 wins.   Miller has a ton of talent but again, he is in the Big 10 and that will give voters a reason to avoid him if they want one.   McCarron has a decent shot if 'bama plays like 'bama can but my guess is the winner will be somebody that isn't even on the radar right now...

Odds on favorite to win the Heisman is Ohio State's Braxton Miller at 9-2.

Originally Posted by ChuckDee

I see Miles reinstated Jeremy Hill ......with a team vote.

I see nothing wrong with that. In fact, I think it's a good move.

Originally Posted by ChuckDee

He's a great player, no doubt. But I get the feeling that his being the odds on favorite at this point is due to a lack of high profile players. Obviously Manziel is still in the mix, but a lot of experts are forecasting a sophomore slump for him. Plus I think the off-the-field issues, even if they don't result in any kind of suspension, will turn off some voters. Who else is there? Marquise Lee? Jadaveon Clowney? A few good system QB's like Bridgewater, Boyd, McCarron and Murray? I think it's going to be pretty wide open.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Eff yeah! Fresno State 52, Rutgers 51 (OT)

Good start boys!!

I saw that score on the ticker during the USC game. See-saw battle. The Ole Miss comeback was amazing too. Did you see all the Vandy fans after that Ole Miss touchdown. It's as if they lost the BCS Title game. Can't blame them though because it was a conference game.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

I saw that score on the ticker during the USC game. See-saw battle. The Ole Miss comeback was amazing too. Did you see all the Vandy fans after that Ole Miss touchdown. It's as if they lost the BCS Title game. Can't blame them though because it was a conference game.

You were sweating when it was 5-3 Hawaii, weren't you?? ;) No, I missed the end of the vandy game, although I saw that it was a good one. Looking forward to Georgia-Clemson tomorrow!

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

You were sweating when it was 5-3 Hawaii, weren't you?? ;)

Not really. It was 5-3 early in the first half and the defense was holding out pretty well and sacked their QB I think 5 times(?). I mean Hawaii didn't score a TD until it really didn't matter at that point. It was a pretty conservative game on both teams, which is interesting because you have two offensive head coaches  (both former USC Offensive Coordinators ) and there weren't too many big play attempts.

I only saw the highlights of the Vandy game that showed a handful of times in the broadcast. Georgia-Clemson is gonna be a good one.

Best Regards,
Ryan

:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

Well that's extremely disappointing. But can't say that I'm surprised because of how poor USC's QBs are. Next couple of years should be fun too after looking at the recruiting class. Oh well...Go Niners!

Best Regards,
Ryan

as a big ten fan, I'm not blind to fact they are down, but I like the changes many teams have made. NW looks like a new ND for me. Penn state has a special coach and QB. OSU is building an SEC style team. WIsconsin upgraded their coach. looks like Michigan is back as well. you can say look at past stats, just don't complain when the stats get broken, that's the thing about stats they are not definite.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 2 weeks later...

Between his injury and the fact his backup appears to be just as good, his chances of winning the Heisman are gone. Frankly, Manziel's performance against Alabama probably put him back in the driver's seat. Even though A&M; lost the game, the fact Saban really couldn't stop Manziel is gonna sway voters..

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Note: This thread is 3696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!