IGNORED

My Swing (Jeremie Boop)

Jeremie Boop

I think your brain might be going into hyperdrive. I would get a bucket and hit some with a half swing feel and slowly (Slowly!) go a little longer on consecutive swings until you start to lose control. Back off a little until you have control.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

disclaimer no ball used in these swings, only using video to check for top swing positions

Still looks a bit longer than what you indicated I should go for, but I thought I'd throw this in there too as about where I'd be at impact

no flip? I know there's a lot of differences between a swing with and with a ball to hit but this is probably the best looking impact position with or without a ball I've ever had

I worked on this stop position several times, the top wasn't always at the same spot but it was never much passed this, and every "impact" was the same as this good inline wrist. It's too late in the day to hit the range, but at least I have a much better idea of where I need to stop the swing.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

disclaimer no ball used in these swings, only using video to check for top swing positions

Still looks a bit longer than what you indicated I should go for, but I thought I'd throw this in there too as about where I'd be at impact

no flip? I know there's a lot of differences between a swing with and with a ball to hit but this is probably the best looking impact position with or without a ball I've ever had

I worked on this stop position several times, the top wasn't always at the same spot but it was never much passed this, and every "impact" was the same as this good inline wrist. It's too late in the day to hit the range, but at least I have a much better idea of where I need to stop the swing.

It's going to be a bit of trial and error to get the feeling right. All your swing knows right now is way past parallel. So, just keep working at it. If you see, or feel yourself going to far, stop the backswing and then position the hands where you want them, and hold them there to get a feel for where they are at.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

It's going to be a bit of trial and error to get the feeling right. All your swing knows right now is way past parallel. So, just keep working at it. If you see, or feel yourself going to far, stop the backswing and then position the hands where you want them, and hold them there to get a feel for where they are at.

It's definitely going to be weird, right now my "trigger" for stopping my backswing is when I feel like my arms are pointed straight back... Rough guess is my arms are closer to 45 degrees passed straight. I think if I can hit right around this position I'd be in a pretty good spot no? One question I have is should the top of my backswing be pretty much the same for every club on a full swing?

edit:

Actually I looked closer and it looks like I'm just about right on where he was saying I needed to stop:

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

It's definitely going to be weird, right now my "trigger" for stopping my backswing is when I feel like my arms are pointed straight back... Rough guess is my arms are closer to 45 degrees passed straight. I think if I can hit right around this position I'd be in a pretty good spot no? One question I have is should the top of my backswing be pretty much the same for every club on a full swing?

With in a certain degree of variance, so yes. I mean, I find I can hit more 3 quarter wedges than I can longer irons, but I would still consider that a full swing area. The feel might be the same, but it can vary.

Yea, straight back is a good feeling, that is about what I felt when I had a full swing, thinking 50%. Now it feels longer, but starting out it was strange.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

edit:

Actually I looked closer and it looks like I'm just about right on where he was saying I needed to stop:

Looks much better.  It will take a while to break from your previous pattern.  BTW, your 1/2 swing is my full swing position!!  Keep doing it every time you do a practice swing.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Looks much better.  It will take a while to break from your previous pattern.  BTW, your 1/2 swing is my full swing position!!  Keep doing it every time you do a practice swing.

Agreed, it definitely looks better. I'll take it one step further, though and say that you should do that every time you swing, not just on practice swings.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Ok, so here is the updated swing: *sorry for the camera movement was a little windy for my improvised camera stand*

Looks like I'm hitting the checkpoint I was told to hit, so yeah I guess it didn't take that long.

Still a little steep and unfortunately I've still got a bit of flip but not nearly as bad as it was., but since I was only focused on my shorter backswing for now I can live with this. I don't know if I'm able to move on to the next step yet, that's up to Erik to decide but I think I can reliably keep my backswing shorter.

Note: This was an old Titlest Lite100 7 iron that was in my trunk. All these shots had really good flights and felt great coming off the club so there's definitely an improvement in ballstriking. My main miss today was super fat shots and I'm pretty certain that was due to flipping more.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

quick comparison pictures from 6-16 range session and today 6-29:

And in all actuality that's not 2 weeks worth of work, that's only maybe 30 minutes or so just figuring out where I should be stopping my backswing?? Who knew?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

quick comparison pictures from 6-16 range session and today 6-29: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/100703/] [/URL] And in all actuality that's not 2 weeks worth of work, that's only maybe 30 minutes or so just figuring out where I should be stopping my backswing?? Who knew?

Looks awesome, great job!

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Looks awesome, great job!

Thanks Bill, I really needed to start making progress or I was giving some serious thought to taking a break. It's strange though, because I never realized how much of an impact my going passed parallel had on my ability to play. It's obvious that the only reason I played well at all before was due to getting lucky on some days with my timing. As easy as it was to find the right stopping point I'm pretty angry at myself for taking so long to actually do it. I should be much further along in my development considering how many times I've been told to do it *probably a year or close to it* without really taking the whopping 30 minutes to just get it done. However, that's all in the past and now I can focus on the next phase in my progress!

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

quick comparison pictures from 6-16 range session and today 6-29: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/100703/] [/URL] And in all actuality that's not 2 weeks worth of work, that's only maybe 30 minutes or so just figuring out where I should be stopping my backswing?? Who knew?

Who knew??? I think Erik did... ;) Honestly, and this is not really for you, but they (Erik and Mike) don't make random suggestions.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Who knew??? I think Erik did... ;)

Honestly, and this is not really for you, but they (Erik and Mike) don't make random suggestions.

Yeah, that was a snarky "who knew" meaning it was pretty obvious to everyone but me :-P I really did try to make it harder than it needed to be. It's something I always do, tend to over complicate things. And with something like the golf swing which is hard enough, well, we all know how easy it is to over think that.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

What makes it hard for me is I can see the glaring fault. Then Mike tells me to work on X. I am thinking, "why X? Can't he see what I am doing?" The thing is what he tells me to do will help, I just don't have the expertise to see why. Either way, I am past that. Whatever he says goes. I am just thankful for the advice.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Yep, I definitely have to let go of what I think needs fixed and just accept that they know much better than I do what the best thing is to focus on. I'm pretty excited to see what the next step will be.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Thanks Bill, I really needed to start making progress or I was giving some serious thought to taking a break. It's strange though, because I never realized how much of an impact my going passed parallel had on my ability to play. It's obvious that the only reason I played well at all before was due to getting lucky on some days with my timing. As easy as it was to find the right stopping point I'm pretty angry at myself for taking so long to actually do it. I should be much further along in my development considering how many times I've been told to do it *probably a year or close to it* without really taking the whopping 30 minutes to just get it done. However, that's all in the past and now I can focus on the next phase in my progress!

Just make sure you stay on top of it, too. With every new piece, you have to remember where to stop your swing. I've been doing that on and off for a while, now, and I'm starting to realize that I'll always have a tendency to overswing, so it just needs monitoring.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Just make sure you stay on top of it, too. With every new piece, you have to remember where to stop your swing. I've been doing that on and off for a while, now, and I'm starting to realize that I'll always have a tendency to overswing, so it just needs monitoring.

Definitely, and they very well may not give me anything else to work on for a bit until this becomes ingrained in my swing. I think that my overswing came from thinking I needed to swing that far to hit the ball far. Once I get some rounds in using this new shorter swing and see that my distances aren't suffering, and quite possibly improve with better quality strikes, perhaps my brain won't tell my body it has to swing so far. Either way it will be something I check every time I record myself.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag: