IGNORED

60º wedge

Note: This thread is 3863 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you have a 60º wedge in your bag?

• Yes
    • No

What wedge is it? How much bounce? Other than Edel, I don't know of many 60*s even available with much bounce. I wish they'd start making more....

Same here. I have a MP-T11 that I really like but it's only got 8* of bounce so it mostly sees full swing duty in and around the 80 yard area. My 56* has 14* of bounce and sees the most action when it comes to soft pitches. I would love to find a high bounce lob wedge that won't break the bank.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here. I have a MP-T11 that I really like but it's only got 8* of bounce so it mostly sees full swing duty in and around the 80 yard area. My 56* has 14* of bounce and sees the most action when it comes to soft pitches. I would love to find a high bounce lob wedge that won't break the bank.

Check out the Cleveland. It may do the trick. It was $129 at GT.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Check out the Cleveland. It may do the trick. It was $129 at GT.

Off hand do you know if they offer the same bounce in the non-cavity back version?

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

What wedge is it? How much bounce? Other than Edel, I don't know of many 60*s even available with much bounce. I wish they'd start making more....

[quote name="Ernest Jones" url="/t/68468/60-wedge/0_100#post_900080"] Same here. I have a MP-T11 that I really like but it's only got 8* of bounce so it mostly sees full swing duty in and around the 80 yard area. My 56* has 14* of bounce and sees the most action when it comes to soft pitches. I would love to find a high bounce lob wedge that won't break the bank.[/quote] [quote name="Jmdmbike" url="/t/68468/60-wedge/0_100#post_900082"] Check out the Cleveland. It may do the trick. It was $129 at GT.[/quote] Just googled it. Cleveland had the 588 satin wedge (no cavity, very classic looks) in 60* with up to 14* of bounce. My mizuno is basically brand new so it'll be a while before I change it out but those 588s are very nice wedges.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

[COLOR=FF00AA][/COLOR][quote name="Ernest Jones" url="/t/68468/60-wedge/36#post_900091"] Just googled it. Cleveland had the 588 satin wedge (no cavity, very classic looks) in 60* with up to 14* of bounce. My mizuno is basically brand new so it'll be a while before I change it out but those 588s are very nice wedges.[/quote]Standard (2dots) is 12 degrees but yeah the high bounce (3 dot) has 14 degrees of bounce.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I'm on the fence about the 60*, some days I like it and have it in my bag, other days... :censored: . These days I do not have it in my bag and really haven't missed it. I carry a 48*, 52* and a 56* (for the sand) and find that is all I need. My 52* is my 'go to' club, I use the Ping Tour Gorge and love it.

Depending on the course I play I pull my 56* wedge out and just use my GW and 60* for most of my short game.  I haven't found a SW that feels right taking a full swing so I usually just choke down on my GW to fill the gap.  For most greenside sand bunkers I prefer my 60* anyway so I found I was never using my SW.

Joe Paradiso

I have a Cleveland 64/8 588 Gunmetal that I actually hit better than 60. I only use it every once and a while but it really does get the ball up and sticks where it lands if spins back. 20-30yds. max. A lob wedge can really be a formidable weapon.

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

I picked one up this year and had some serious troubles with it in the first month or so.  I almost pulled it but decided that the versatility will outweigh the initial learning period woes and took it up for a serious 2 hour wedge session (I did bring the 54 as well).  After some practice, I got more comfortable and learned to trust in my experience.

I played a par 3 course (actually had 3 par 4's) and found it to be very handy.  On two holes especially, I was able to pop the ball straight over greenside sand and land it within 5 feet for an U&D.;

I am really glad I stuck with it

I picked one up this year and had some serious troubles with it in the first month or so.  I almost pulled it but decided that the versatility will outweigh the initial learning period woes and took it up for a serious 2 hour wedge session (I did bring the 54 as well).  After some practice, I got more comfortable and learned to trust in my experience. I played a par 3 course (actually had 3 par 4's) and found it to be very handy.  On two holes especially, I was able to pop the ball straight over greenside sand and land it within 5 feet for an U&D.; I am really glad I stuck with it

Were you playing Phesant Run by chance?

Nice to see a local course named!  LOL   Pheasant Run was the first course I played.   Haven't played it in a year or so but keep telling my wife we should go back and play it again for the fun of seeing where we are now compared to where we started...

To the original question,   I have a 60 in my bag.   I use it on shots from 75-80 yards out and occasionally on some mid range chips.   I have contemplated taking it out of the bag but since I haven't settled on anything to replace it, I leave it in there and use it for those rare shots that I think it is right for.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Yup

Glad to see some locals here!!

The best shot with it was hole 9.  I hit right and had to chip it over the sand.

Nice to see a local course named!  LOL   Pheasant Run was the first course I played.   Haven't played it in a year or so but keep telling my wife we should go back and play it again for the fun of seeing where we are now compared to where we started...

To the original question,   I have a 60 in my bag.   I use it on shots from 75-80 yards out and occasionally on some mid range chips.   I have contemplated taking it out of the bag but since I haven't settled on anything to replace it, I leave it in there and use it for those rare shots that I think it is right for.

It is a fun course, and especially easy to walk.  Before my sabbatical, I liked to play par 3's a few times a year to stay up on my short game.  I reckon this will be a good one to play as the other local one (which is literally 2 minutes from my house) plays a bit shorter.  I like to hit my driver at least once per round lol.

I recommend keeping it in the bag and use it as a tool for those shots that are needed.  It is a versatile club that works well for short pitches, it will drop where you want it and it works from the sand if you need to get up in a hurry.

It is a fun course, and especially easy to walk.  Before my sabbatical, I liked to play par 3's a few times a year to stay up on my short game.  I reckon this will be a good one to play as the other local one (which is literally 2 minutes from my house) plays a bit shorter.  I like to hit my driver at least once per round lol. I recommend keeping it in the bag and use it as a tool for those shots that are needed.  It is a versatile club that works well for short pitches, it will drop where you want it and it works from the sand if you need to get up in a hurry.

I assume the other one is Heritage at Hawk Ridge. I have a pass at Phesant that they sell for $200 in December. It lets you play there any time $10/18, or $5/9 for a year. Fun course. Back on topic, I used to play a 60 (vokey, 60/4) and could never get it to work for me due to low bounce. I now play a Cleveland 56, 2 dot, that I have a lot of success with.

I assume the other one is Heritage at Hawk Ridge. I have a pass at Phesant that they sell for $200 in December. It lets you play there any time $10/18, or $5/9 for a year. Fun course.

Back on topic, I used to play a 60 (vokey, 60/4) and could never get it to work for me due to low bounce. I now play a Cleveland 56, 2 dot, that I have a lot of success with.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but the other is tower tee which is also the range I practice at.

I agree with the low bounce.  I don't see a 60/4 being a very useful club.  As stated above, I am getting to know and love my Cleveland 60/12

I have pretty much wore out my 60/07 vokey. I use it about very hole sans gir. I hit it from 90 yds on in and it is one of my most consistent clubs. Bounce is relative to your swing. I don't like the idea of "sweeping" along the grass at any length, I want to be hitting the ball. I am trying to figure out a deal on a set of vokeys but since I don't want the stock shaft, I will probably be ordering them from the golf and ski warehouse since both pros I talked to have not gotten back to me on pricing.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Definitely have a 60 degree loft wedge. Its great for getting out of traps, and makes getting backspin easy for beginners.

Also, as a guy with a strong swing, if I need to get over water or  bunker, I love taking a full swing with the 60, getting great height and knowing it won't go 100 yards.

My 60 is a 60-14.  Love the bounce would not give it up.  Put me on the fairway and I can hoist it up drop it close and have it check up from 20 yards.  I can hit it off of plywood, bounce is your friend, your best friend you just have to understand how to use it.

This is a great thread, changed my game.  If you do this you can't chunk it (well you can but you have to stray very far).

http://thesandtrap.com/t/39411/quickie-pitching-video

I use a Henry Griffitts 60-14, love it.

You can get them custom ground

http://www.usa.henry-griffitts.com/custom-grind-wedges/

Note: This thread is 3863 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!