IGNORED

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

David in FL
Note: This thread is 1204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post

I might be reading this wrong but I did a quick search and found this here: http://thesandtrap.com/b/rules/whats_your_handicap

It doesn't say anything about rounding the number after calculating the differential for a round.

The reason I keep an informal one is so I can tell someone I might play with what my informal handicap is so they get an idea of how I play and also as I measuring stick when playing with my friends who have an official handicap.

Maybe he doesn't say anything specific about rounding, but look at his example ...

Quote:

If you shoot 83 on a course with course and slope ratings of 71.5 and 123.4, your differential for that round is (83 - 71.5) * (113 / 123.4) = 10.5. Calculate this differential for each round.

If you punch that into your calculator, you don't get 10.5, you get 10.53079417.  So that is clarly the point where the rounding comes in.

Keep in mind, though, that if you don't do that, you are going to be affecting your number by only the tiniest, tiniest amount.  And perhaps not even at all.  I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post

I might be reading this wrong but I did a quick search and found this here: http://thesandtrap.com/b/rules/whats_your_handicap

It doesn't say anything about rounding the number after calculating the differential for a round.

The reason I keep an informal one is so I can tell someone I might play with what my informal handicap is so they get an idea of how I play and also as I measuring stick when playing with my friends who have an official handicap.

Maybe he doesn't say anything specific about rounding, but look at his example ...

Quote:

If you shoot 83 on a course with course and slope ratings of 71.5 and 123.4, your differential for that round is (83 - 71.5) * (113 / 123.4) = 10.5. Calculate this differential for each round.

If you punch that into your calculator, you don't get 10.5, you get 10.53079417.  So that is clarly the point where the rounding comes in.

Keep in mind, though, that if you don't do that, you are going to be affecting your number by only the tiniest, tiniest amount.  And perhaps not even at all.  I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

I'm glad I wrote, "I might be reading this wrong."  LOL.

Either way, I like being specific with numbers and doing this correctly so thank you for pointing out my error. :-)

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I'm glad I wrote, "I might be reading this wrong."  LOL. Either way, I like being specific with numbers and doing this correctly so thank you for pointing out my error. :-)

Don't thank me, thank David! I just tried to help clarify a bit. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

I'm glad I wrote, "I might be reading this wrong."  LOL.

Either way, I like being specific with numbers and doing this correctly so thank you for pointing out my error.

Don't thank me, thank David! I just tried to help clarify a bit. :)

Well, thanks to both of you because I learned something which rarely happens for me relating to golf. :-\

Christian

Well since ya'll are always talking about handicaps, and I've never had an official one, you motivated me to at least keep track of my scores when I play a rated course and try to figure a more accurate estimate of my handicap.

I don't have 20 such rounds yet (since I started keeping track) so it's probably not exactly right but I just used all of the scores from the last ten rounds and using all of those rounds came out as a 5.1 handicap.

Should be fun to see if I have a better year next year, because I didn't play as well as "normal" (for me) this year.

I don't have 20 such rounds yet (since I started keeping track) so it's probably not exactly right but I just used all of the scores from the last ten rounds and using all of those rounds came out as a 5.1 handicap.

If you don't have 20 rounds, you use fewer scores:

9 lowest differentials if you have 19 rounds

8 lowest differentials if you have 18 rounds

7 lowest differentials if you have 17 rounds

6 lowest differentials if you have 15 or 16 rounds

5 lowest differentials if you have 13 or 14 rounds

4 lowest differentials if you have 11 or 12 rounds

3 lowest differentials if you have 9 or 10 rounds

2 lowest differentials if you have 7 or 8 rounds

the single lowest differential if you have 5 or 6 rounds

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

If you don't have 20 rounds, you use fewer scores:

9 lowest differentials if you have 19 rounds

8 lowest differentials if you have 18 rounds

7 lowest differentials if you have 17 rounds

6 lowest differentials if you have 15 or 16 rounds

5 lowest differentials if you have 13 or 14 rounds

4 lowest differentials if you have 11 or 12 rounds

3 lowest differentials if you have 9 or 10 rounds

2 lowest differentials if you have 7 or 8 rounds

the single lowest differential if you have 5 or 6 rounds

Thanks. I wasn't sure about what they do without enough rounds.

I only have 10 but it seems like only taking 3 would make me have a handicap that looks a lot better than I actually am because there are 3 good rounds in there...But I know that would equal out with more crappy rounds.

Of course if I was actually using that handicap for any competition I would have to do it right and take those 3.

5.6.  Even with my 85 with GMAC.  Coming back down.....not fast, but no complaints, at least we're still playing golf.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Dropped .1 to 4.8, I really feel a lot better about the next 6 months, last year I shot up to 8 because of injury last December but this year I feel my putting is starting to come around as well as my ball striking and short game, good things are getting ready to happen I can feel it.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Saw they gave you guys some z stars, which ones were they? If you never tried them before I'll bet you like them, good all around ball IMO.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

Sheesh...I wish I could play!

It was 61 degrees today in KC, but I couldn't ditch work :-X

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Sheesh...I wish I could play!

It was 61 degrees today in KC, but I couldn't ditch work

It's supposed to be in the 60's on Monday in NYC so definitely thinking of bringing my clubs back home since I took next week off from work. :dance:

Christian

• 2 weeks later...
Starting the year off at 5.5. Down a tenth. Nothing to write home about, but down is down......only 16 tenths to go to get under 4.0. :-D

In David's bag....

I started at a 33 HC in August, having not entered any of our clubs tournaments so I could not get it down, but in the last 6 months i have chipped it down to 17! And i just wanted to know, when giving our handicap do we take slope into account. My clubs slope is 137.... so would i go 17.3*(113/137)= 14.3 index. Or do i just leave it at 17?

Bumped up .2 to 5.0  but this is a good starting point to getting under 3, the goal this year is to reach 2.5.

Rich C.

4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW

Bumped up .2 to 5.0  but this is a good starting point to getting under 3, the goal this year is to reach 2.5.

That's kind of what I thought.......a nice clean place to start from.  Have you been down near 2.5 before?  That'll be a helluva move......good luck!

I started at a 33 HC in August, having not entered any of our clubs tournaments so I could not get it down, but in the last 6 months i have chipped it down to 17! And i just wanted to know, when giving our handicap do we take slope into account. My clubs slope is 137.... so would i go 17.3*(113/137)= 14.3 index. Or do i just leave it at 17?

Nope.  Your index is 17.3.   You factor in the slope rating when you calculate your course handicap. That's the actual number that you play off at any given course.

You transposed the course slope and standard slope in your calculation though.  Your course handicap at your club is 17.3 (137/113) = 21.  Note that course handicap is rounded to the nearest whole number.

From 33 to 17.3 represents a great improvement over 6 months.  Congratulations!

In David's bag....

What's bad about the recent updates is I feel that GHIN is taunting me.  I haven't played since November due to the weather up here.  GHIN is saying, "Na na you can't play!  Here's your handicap Frosty!"

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1204 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!