IGNORED

2013 PGA Championship at Oak Hill Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

For our inside the ropes photos and videos, go here

http://thesandtrap.com/t/69022/2013-pga-championship-sand-trap-coverage-photos-and-swing-videos

Tiger's last chance in 2013. And Rory's. And, well, everyone else's too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger is already lining up his excuses.

From his practice round earlier this week:

http://espn.go.com/golf/pgachampionship13/story/_/id/9525678/2013-pga-champiopnship-tiger-woods-criticizes-greens-oak-hill-early-look

Quote:
"The greens are spotty, and it'll be interesting to see what they do because they were running just under 9 on the Stimp [Stimpmeter]," Woods said. "They don't have much thatch to them, so it'll be interesting to see what they do for the tournament and how much they're able to speed them up with kind of a lack of grass."

So you think you vaguely remember Tiger talking about greens do you?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/tiger-woods-offers-the-same-old-excuses-after-falling-short-29439789.html

Quote:

SUNDAY, LYTHAM 2012 OPEN : "Again, I left a lot of putts short out there. The greens were a little bit slow and I tried to put some more hit in my stroke, but putts were dying off the front of the lip.

SUNDAY, KIAWAH, 2012 US PGA : "I just couldn't believe how slow these greens were ... They're slower than the (practice) putting green ... struggled getting the balls to the hole."

SUNDAY, AUGUSTA NATIONAL, 2013 US MASTERS : "I just thought the greens were so slow. Yesterday they were so quick and dried out and today they were so much slower. From the first eight holes I think I left every putt short. I had a hard time getting the speed and being committed to hitting the putts that hard."

SUNDAY, MERION, 2013 US OPEN : "Istruggled with the speed all week. These greens are grainy. It's one of the older bent grasses, creeping bent. So it's a little bit grainy. I struggled with the speed, especially right around the hole."

And that doesn't even include his recent remarks at Muirfield.

I'd like to see Tiger in the thick of the PGA Championship come Sunday afternoon, it is good for the game....hell I'd like to see him make a charge from 2 or 3 strokes back after Saturday, because that would be exciting.....guess we'll just have to wait & see what plays out at Oak Hill.

Players play, tough players win!

Originally Posted by 460CompMark

i don't like slow crappy greens either.

I doubt they will be slow or crappy come tournament time. From what I've read, several holes were flooded about a month ago and they've had some high heat the last couple of weeks. It's pretty normal to have the greens running slow up until tournament time to keep them from getting too stressed out if the weather hasn't been cooperating.

And I'm really getting tired of "the greens are too slow" excuses from Tiger. Everyone putts on them. Stop whining.

Tyler Martin

true dat.  i played on the course here in Frisco that the Web.com Tour Championship was played on a week before they played it.  they were prepping the course for the event.  those greens were sick fast.  never putted on greens that slick.  no way they are always like that.  was humbled to shoot 79 from the tips that day.

Originally Posted by Wally Fairway

Tiger is already lining up his excuses.

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

And I'm really getting tired of "the greens are too slow" excuses from Tiger. Everyone putts on them. Stop whining.

I agree, however, I think this story is muck ado about nothing.  If you read to the end, the last quote from him is ... "They just don't have a lot of grass on them," Woods said of the greens. "So not going to push them now and save them for tournament week. And I'm sure by Monday they'll get them up to speed. They're looking to get them at around 12 and 13 [on the Stimpmeter], but you don't want to do it for two weeks with how they are right now. Just save them for the week of the tournament."

So, he's not really making an excuse so much as he is telling somebody who asks that the greens are slow now, 2 weeks prior to the tournament.  Big whoop?

That does not take away from his other comments though, so if he plays poorly and continues to say this, then I'm 100% in agreement with you.  Complaining about the conditions of a course - that everybody who beat you also played on - is an extremely lame and hollow excuse, and nobody wants to hear it.

Originally Posted by 460CompMark

true dat.  i played on the course here in Frisco that the Web.com Tour Championship was played on a week before they played it.  they were prepping the course for the event.  those greens were sick fast.  never putted on greens that slick.  no way they are always like that.  was humbled to shoot 79 from the tips that day.

Uh-huh, sure you were.  I can tell.

Growing up and living in Rochester until my 30's, I've had the opportunity to play Oak Hill on several occassions. Its a beauty, and brutal course. From the rumors I've heard, they aren't going to grow out the rough as much as they have in past tournaments, but I still expect there will be several pro's complaining about how difficult the course is. Tiger won't be the only one! As I'm standing at the 18th that Sunday when they finish up, I'm hoping Phil will be the guy!

Here's the 'scripting' for the week for the extremely bored out there. For some reason these always get me kinda hyped.

I like Tiger's Thursday and Saturday shirts, and Rory's Friday and Sunday one's. I reckon if nothing else Nike do incredibly well at giving their players that sharp and clean look.

I really dont know enough about Oak Hill to really be able to make an educated guess at the winner based off the course layout. But I will say, think TW just shop himself in the karma foot with that whiny comment. He does traditional putt better on faster greens also. Probably come down to another decent name player who has done well this year like Snedeker or Kuchar. Or it easily could be another Atlanta with 2 no namers battling it out in a playoff like Bradley an Dufner; this year like a Roberto Castro or Hideki Matsuyama. Who the hell knows?

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Originally Posted by Cracker24

Here's the 'scripting' for the week for the extremely bored out there. For some reason these always get me kinda hyped.

I like Tiger's Thursday and Saturday shirts, and Rory's Friday and Sunday one's. I reckon if nothing else Nike do incredibly well at giving their players that sharp and clean look.

Think they're being a bit presumptuous by already laying out Rory's Saturday and Sunday outfits???

• Upvote 2

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Think they're being a bit presumptuous by already laying out Rory's Saturday and Sunday outfits???

Ha...too good.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by tefunk

Yea, who cares about being #1 and then losing your game, when Nike can make you look so good and pick out your outfits for you instead (i.e Rory)

The life of a pro golfer...

Free golf, free clubs, free clothes, free balls...

Oh wait...not free, they actually get paid for all of that too. lol

Ryan M

FWIW, I think the current trend of color schemes for golf attire is probably the most tasteless look out of any generation I can remember. And I thought the baggy shirt look of the mid 90's-mid 00's looked tragic... Back on topic. I'm going to Wedgesday's practice rd, and can't wait.

Originally Posted by Infamous 273

FWIW, I think the current trend of color schemes for golf attire is probably the most tasteless look out of any generation I can remember. And I thought the baggy shirt look of the mid 90's-mid 00's looked tragic...

Back on topic. I'm going to Wedgesday's practice rd, and can't wait.

I'd wear every single shirt in that picture. What are you, 70 years old? Maybe instead I'll wear pants up to my nipples with a pastel yellow polo and a sweater.

Ryan M

I'd wear every single shirt in that picture. What are you, 70 years old? Maybe instead I'll wear pants up to my nipples with a pastel yellow polo and a sweater. b2_tongue.gif

Hahahaha, yeah, not feeling the bright colors and striping. And no, I don't prefer the nuthugger look either.

I'm surprised guys seem to care so much about fashion these days (and I'm 35, so not some grumpy old guy)... To the point where golf magazine needs to have a section on fashion. Man, oh man. Btw... For anyone who is not very familiar with Rochester but will be in town for the tourney, I'd be happy to share some suggestions (restaurants, golf, etc).

Note: This thread is 3873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!