IGNORED

Whats your Shot from 60-90 Yards?

Note: This thread is 3907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

typical - (I hate it when people get caught up in the 'depends on the shot' tangent.)

I tweak the swing and face angle of my SW (56/14) in this range.  These are 'swings', not pitches - half, 3/4, etc, but swings - there is definitely a weight transfer.

etc from here on:

If it's in the lower end of that, say 50-65, I take a strong look at a fuller 60 swing based on lie, obstacles, ground, how I feel that day - I can hit the 60 degree up to 80 yards, but I'm not consistent yet - 3/4 swings are decent enough to take that club out though.  But SW will also work in there.

strangely enough,

in the 25-50 range, I'm back to the SW (as pitch shots - static pressure starts and stays forward) unless I need something special (high lob, or punch and run, etc ala 'depends on the shot caviat').

Inside that, we're getting into run vs pitch vs chip territory.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ironic that you would say this:

Originally Posted by rehmwa

typical - (I hate it when people get caught up in the 'depends on the shot' tangent.)

Then spend the rest of your post talking about the different variables that go into your shot selection:

Originally Posted by rehmwa

If it's in the lower end of that, say 50-65, I take a strong look at a fuller 60 swing based on lie, obstacles, ground, how I feel that day - I can hit the 60 degree up to 80 yards, but I'm not consistent yet - 3/4 swings are decent enough to take that club out though.  But SW will also work in there.

strangely enough,

in the 25-50 range, I'm back to the SW (as pitch shots - static pressure starts and stays forward) unless I need something special (high lob, or punch and run, etc ala 'depends on the shot caviat').

Inside that, we're getting into run vs pitch vs chip territory.

It always depends on the shot. There is no standard shot when you're talking about a 30-60 yard approach.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Ironic that you would say this:

Oh the irony...

I should qualify it by noting I'm referring to when it bogs down into "what ifs" ad nauseum and no answer.  You know, the guy that says "80 yards?  well, I bump with the 5i, pitch with the SW, if around a tree I use the____, if I'm in sand _____, a driver can be used here if I 'Feel" the shot, if a plugged lie_____, if medium fescue grass with a duck sitting on it_______..............."

It pretty much turns into a non-answer and just a self pat on the back about how good an intuitive golfer they are.   and yeah, I was tipping into that territory for sure.

My 'standard' is that I muck with the SW mostly to hit shots in that range.  The rest is just acknowledging the 'depends' people.  the stuff after that was just tangential info not asked for because typing is so much fun..

but I get your point.  HOWEVER - you have to acknowledge I answered the question directly and you are taking exception to the text AFTER I said "Etc from here on" which you conveniently deleted to make your comment

next time, just for you, I'll just type "SW" and hit enter

Bill - 

Originally Posted by TJBam

Could be a 5i punch, full lob wedge, sand wedge, gap wedge, 8 iron pitch, pitching wedge...

I'm designing a 12 gauge PW for the plugged lie under a sitting duck scenario.

Should be a big seller.  (Dick's will sell it, they'll sell anything)

Bill - 

60 - pretty much the biggest pitching swing I can make with my 58*.

75 - 54* 3/4 swing

90 - Probably a full 54*.  Maybe take a tiny bit off of it.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Thanks dsc I hit a few 3/4 gap wedges last night and they were good around 80 yards. I'm going to just play around with it. I got another outing in a few weeks and I'm sure we're going to have that distance a lot.

my SW with a smooth L to L swing goes 75-80ish.  I practice chip shots at home in my yard, so those 20 yard shots are good as well.  It's the distance in between that I have a problem with.  I have actually developed a problem where I am hitting the ball with the leading edge of my wedge and the result is a shank.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

I didn't read every post since it wouldn't change my answer to this particular question, though I may not say much original.  60-90 yards covers three clubs for me (okay, I'm a short hitter).  90 yards is a soft gap wedge for me (normally about 100 yds. full stroke), I choke down the club an inch or so and that usually works out (I carry four wedges).  80 to about 65 is the sand wedge, again choked down and the swing moderated a bit perhaps as the distance gets shorter.  65 yds. in is my 58* lob wedge which is the club I practice most with other than my putter.

Not sure how you manage to usually play without hitting shots in this range, but I certainly can't avoid it.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I play the tips pretty much exclusively so my approach shots are usually 200-120. I don't hit the ball very far so under 100 is almost impossible for me. Even on par 5's I make sure I don't have the 60-85 left so Im not comfortable with that shot.

Note: This thread is 3907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!