IGNORED

My Swing (Abu3baid)

Abu3baid

• Administrator

I found a fitter in CT (6 hour round trip) and I'm going either tomorrow or the day after.. the only issue I have is that they told me the fitting is $125 once for the putter and once for the wedge system.. That's $250 for the fitting which just seems crazy.. I'm not sure if this will persuade me to forget it or not, but it is still a real bummer if I can't talk them down from that crazy amount.. Anyone else have any experience with this?  @iacas do you usually charge people for the fitting, is there anything you suggest I say to them to help?

I don't want to tell you not to go to that fitter, but I wouldn't go if it was me.

We have only ever charged people for the fitting if they don't buy… which is another way of saying we've never charged for a fitting. You should clarify that the cost is included in the stuff if you buy. Some will do that. I thought "most" but $250 for fittings seems… odd.

(One guy aimed his putter well and we did some quick speed control tests so we told him to add some weight to his putter in certain ways, but we didn't charge him for that.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't want to tell you not to go to that fitter, but I wouldn't go if it was me.

We have only ever charged people for the fitting if they don't buy… which is another way of saying we've never charged for a fitting. You should clarify that the cost is included in the stuff if you buy. Some will do that. I thought "most" but $250 for fittings seems… odd.

(One guy aimed his putter well and we did some quick speed control tests so we told him to add some weight to his putter in certain ways, but we didn't charge him for that.)

Thanks Erik.. It seems like it is not as unusual as it sounds!

I was looking for aimpoint classes and I found one with Jane Frost (I think it is an aimpoint express) for $200 for a 2 hr clinic.

When I checked her website after she pointed me to it (http://janefrostgolf.com) I found out that she also does Edel Wedge & Putter fittings as well... for $150 a session... so now its not $250 anymore for me, but rather $300..  At least it saves me the 6 hour drive right as it is only 15 minutes from where I live!

It looks like she does everything from K-vest analysis to SAMputt Lab and other stuff.. very interesting.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

• Administrator

Thanks Erik.. It seems like it is not as unusual as it sounds!

I was looking for aimpoint classes and I found one with Jane Frost (I think it is an aimpoint express) for $200 for a 2 hr clinic.

When I checked her website after she pointed me to it (http://janefrostgolf.com) I found out that she also does Edel Wedge & Putter fittings as well... for $150 a session... so now its not $250 anymore for me, but rather $300..  At least it saves me the 6 hour drive right as it is only 15 minutes from where I live!

I'm simply suggesting you talk to the people and ask about it. For $150, I'd not do it, to be honest. I'd just walk away.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Went to the performance center today and it was such a good experience.  I will write about later on, but I'm pretty happy with the putter and wedges!

I was aiming my putter so high and right it wasn't even funny, eventually I was able to aim the built one slightly right of target and at the right height.

My PW was tracked between 135 - 140 yards, so the wedge gaping ended up being a 50 , 54 , 58 for me instead of my usual 52 , 56 , 60 setting so that I was about 15 yards range between clubs.

I think the 58 was at a 22* bounce while the 54 was at 18* while the 50 at either 14 or 16 I'm not sure.

I will get the specs for my putter and for my wedges soon and share.. My PW shaft weight is at 75, and the one that felt best and performed best in terms of spin and trajectory was a 105 shaft.

So much more information to share, and I can't wait to get them... The 58 felt so good when he had me hitting the 22* bounce.. I could just feel the crispness of the hit and how it slide along the ground without digging in..

I also found out I was hitting it just on the inside part of the club, and that was a reason I could be pulling my shots slightly, so I ended up getting a 1* flat setup for my 3 wedges..

He suggested I get my irons checked out, but my irons were hit closer to the middle.. I am venturing out to say that I probably do need a 1* flat setup on those..  I am really tempted to go get a driver fitting with them as these guys were good!  IMO of course.

More to come!

Eyad

Awesome @Abu3baid ! Sounds like you had a great time, congrats on the new gear! Don't forget to post lots of pictures.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I was aiming my putter so high and right it wasn't even funny, eventually I was able to aim the built one slightly right of target and at the right height.

Not to rain on your parade but ... the whole point of getting an Edel putter is not to get one that you can kinda/sorta almost aim well, but one that you can ACTUALLY aim INSIDE the hole.

Also, I learned during/after my fitting that the up/down aiming at address means nothing.

• Administrator
Also, I learned during/after my fitting that the up/down aiming at address means nothing.

Yeah. Doesn't matter much. Dynamically it's going to change during the stroke.

You didn't mention your weighting, either. Did you get fit for that?

Not to rain on your parade

Don't worry about it one bit!  I agree with you 100%!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Not to rain on your parade but ... the whole point of getting an Edel putter is not to get one that you can kinda/sorta almost aim well, but one that you can ACTUALLY aim INSIDE the hole.

I couldn't do it.. aiming took the longest time of the fitting, probably was at it for about 45 minutes before moving on to distance control..

He tried basically every setting he could get his hands on, until settling on the L1 1/16th offset with the second to last mallet type head.. The best set up for me was with just one line in the middle;  I was able to get it pointing above the cup, but most of the time it was slightly right of the cup.. He told me that he wouldn't want to change anything because of where I was before hand, and the fact that as I start having less compensation that my aim will get slightly better.. At one point I really felt like I would never be able to get anywhere close, but he was patient with me, and I never looked up no matter what, and just trusted that he was making the right changes so that eventually we get to where we were going!

Yeah. Doesn't matter much. Dynamically it's going to change during the stroke.

You didn't mention your weighting, either.

Totally forgot about the weighting.. At first I was hitting everything far away, then he just basically added some weight, and finally some weight right above of where I grip it with my right hand because of how dominate he said my right hand was in my putting stroke.. Eventually I was able to get the 3 balls to consistently land above the line in the same circle basically, but not land right on the line.. He explained that he wasn't as concerned with me landing on the line as he was how the ball was coming off my club..

Earlier before we started I putted to a hole 10 feet away and I was only able to hit 1 out of 10 shots with my putter for some reason..

After the fitting I putted to the same hole and I hit 8 out of 10 while hitting my starting line, and with good speed.. so that made me feel a little bit more comfortable with my set up..  I really hope that I made the right decision, but I felt very comfortable with the fitter..

My next step is my Aimpoint express next Friday, it is just too bad that I won't have my putter with me :(

Eyad

I have been working on a new piece suggested by Brian on evolvr to help me keep my head from breaking through the wall on my backswing.. I haven't had a chance to analyze, but I think I have been doing well on it.. My swing feels so much better, and I am hitting my clubs pretty nice lately..

I was comparing my swing from 1 year ago before starting with Evolvr and it is just amazing how different it is now compared to back then.. I really can't sing enough praise of the work these guys do, and it is a real testament to @iacas & @mvmac & @cbrian & of course @sk golf as he has been working with me specifically for most of the last 9 months.. Thanks Guys!

Eyad

Wanted to share the Year over Year comparison..  I am really interested in seeing if there will be that much of a noticeable change next year?

The A9/A9.5 position shows such a start difference doesn't it?

Eyad

Great news for me..

I think Edel just shipped my wedges two days after the order has been put in.. business must be slow :)

This tracking update has been requested by:

Company Name: Edel Golf

Weight - 5 lbs / 2.27 kgs

I'm assuming that is 3 wedges, as no way just 1 wedge weighs that much!!

This is pretty sweet.. I am sure the wedges take a lot less work than the putter, but I'm hopeful that it is shipped next week!

Date/Time
Activity Location
9/17/2014 - Wednesday
4:25 pm In FedEx possession GEORGETOWN, TX
Tendered at FedEx location

Eyad

Finally, Edel putter has been shipped and should arrive on Tuesday.. My set will finally be complete and I can just fully concentrate on my priority pieces.

Also, played yesterday and hit some 10 - 15 footers that I wasn't hitting before thanks to aimpoint.. it felt good hitting those putts.. just amazing!

I need to keep working on shortening my backswing especially on the 3 wood.. I think I will put in double time the rest of my vacation and hopefully I can go back to Riyadh, with a shorter more consistent 3W swing.

My irons have been pretty good and I need some time now to build my shot zones.

So, priorities

1.  3W shorter swing (i.e. finding the right feel, and sending in a full speed video for Stephan to check out per his request)

2.  Shot Zones with irons & wedge

3.  training my aimpoint feels.. I want to work on both side ways and up and down slope feels as well

4.  Work on hitting my lines with my new putter

5. Work on my speed with the new putter

6.  Have fun

I think that all of these priorities are independent of each other really, so I see no issue with working on all of them, but I listed them in terms of importance really

Eyad

Just a few observations from today's range session.

It was meant for me to just work on getting my shot zones mapped, but I haven't been able to get anything going the past two times out so I was sceptical that I would fair any better.

After the first 10 balls of trying to hit my target with my 7i (about 180 yards away) I realized that I just straight draw everything I hit.. I'm talking about 20 - 30 yards here.. not a pull draw, just a straight draw.

When I moved on to my 3W it was more of the same, but the draw was more of a hook, and it make sense since everything I have been hitting on the course the past two days has been just a straight hook into the woods.. (doesn't make for a fun round).

I finally decided to change something after about 10 balls doing the same thing, and when I put the club across my shoulders at set up I found that I am really closed to the target pointing about 10 - 15 yards to the right of it.. so, I decided to get my shoulders to be pointing 5 yards to the left of the target.. it felt like I had such an open stance, but in reality I wasn't, and it was hard to get into the position, but I forced my self to do so, and the results were short of amazing.. just hitting some smooth 240 yard carry's with my 3W with a straight draw, but only about a 5-10 yard draw instead of a 40 yard - 50 yard hook..

I then did the same thing with my 7i and other clubs and noticed that I have the tendency to really close my shoulders to the target line instead of being parallel or slightly open to it.. I was able to hit mostly push/straight draws with the occasional overdraw.. but this really made me feel better about my self.. I know that my swing is getting much better, and my priority piece is shortening the backswing (and its tough to do without very bad results), but I really think I should be able to play some good golf with my current swing..

never ended up mapping my zones, but I still have 10 days left in my vacation and will do that very soon!  My putter came in, and I am working on hitting my lines and practicing my express read as well, and feel like this is helping a lot!

I really want to see if this is going to make a difference tomorrow when I play, but I plan on breaking a 100 tomorrow!!  wish me luck!

Eyad

• 1 month later...
NOFA resort today in the middle of the desert about an hour away from downtown riyad.. it is really amazing that you can have such a beautiful course in the middle of nowhere like that... just overall good experience, and I was able to shoot under 100.. could have been much better as I wasted shots left and right! 50 + 47 = 97 Forgot how to play in the middle two holes and shot a crazy +8 3 double bogies on back nine killed my score too I didn't help my self as I left 90% of approach shots short and couldn't get up and down even though I was ngir on most of them. I feel better about my game, and I was driving the ball great today, but I need to record asap and start up as I need to see where I'm going with my priority!

Eyad

Goals 2015

I mentioned in the Goals thread that I wanted to average <= 85.. I am going to get a head start starting now though so that I can give myself a better chance at achieving my goal.

1.  Mirror work & mapping at home [ min of 2 10 minute sessions per day ] for current priority piece (shorter back swing [A] - laying shaft down A4 - A5 )

[I will measure by keeping a tracking sheet at home]

2.  One range session per week 63%-25%-13%  [ 2 hrs ]

a)  Full Swing - 75 minutes

i)  Do some quick mapping and warm up before recording

ii)  Record DTL / FO Driver [ hit 20 balls or so full speed to see progress ]

iii)  Record DTL / FO 7 iron [ hit rest of balls with different irons ]

b)  Short Game - 30 Minutes

i)  10 minutes 58* lob shots over bunker (different distances)

ii)  05 minutes 54* / 50* lob shots over bunker

iii)  05 minutes bunker shots

iv)  10 minutes chipping with different clubs around the green to different pins

c)   Putting - 15 Minutes

i)  5 minutes - will put lines at 5 feet intervals up to 25 feet and will hit 5 balls to each line (speed)

ii)  5 minutes - will put down string and work on hitting that starting line

iii)  5 minutes - will work on my express read on a couple of different sloped pins and see how many I can hit

3.  Periodically send videos to evolvr to either update my priority piece or continue with it

4.  Shot Zone Map my Driver / 3W / 3H / 7i / wedges

5.  Be steadfast with above & have fun!

You guys have any thoughts or suggestions?

Eyad