IGNORED

My Swing (nick1998bunker)

nick1998bunker
Note: This thread is 2169 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I understand where I need be in regards to my elbow @mvmac but I don't really know how to get there. I tried today feeling like I was squeezing my elbows together but that felt weird and didn't look right. I then tried feeling like I was trying to keep my right arm straightfor as long as possible and I started hitting it well but it still doesn't look quite right on camera. Are their any feels/drills I could try. Thanks On a side note I'm really looking to get new irons because mine are so out of whack. I was looking at the taylormade tp irons as a split set and liked how I could launch them with a much higher and controlled flight. And with shafts that actually fit me, I was liking how they flew. I hit my friends 8 iron mb and hit that fine and hit his 4 iron mc of the older model and hit that pretty good too. My question is if I can't find a good deal on a split set, how much harder would it be to hit the 6 5 4 irons mb instead of mc. Even if it's a little much are the effects as serious as people make it seem or could I get used to it.

I understand where I need be in regards to my elbow @mvmac but I don't really know how to get there. I tried today feeling like I was squeezing my elbows together but that felt weird and didn't look right. I then tried feeling like I was trying to keep my right arm straightfor as long as possible and I started hitting it well but it still doesn't look quite right on camera. Are their any feels/drills I could try. Thanks

Are you making slow rehearsal swings with the tricep staying in front of the shirt seam? For a drill just put a tee under your right arm pit. Keep that "contact point" in the same spot, don't let it slide back. Film yourself rehearsing it slowly. I wouldn't try to keep the right arm straighter, that can just make it worse.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...
Can't make a full shoulder turn or make swing any longer. My swing looks abreviated and disgusting. I tried changing my grip but didn't stick with it because I have a tournament every week and it ruined my scores. Any advice on how to get fuller turn? Thx [video]http://youtu.be/F0c7fu4RFwk[/video]

Can't make a full shoulder turn or make swing any longer. My swing looks abreviated and disgusting. I tried changing my grip but didn't stick with it because I have a tournament every week and it ruined my scores. Any advice on how to get fuller turn? Thx

You mean your 90 degree shoulder turn. The only difference between this and getting the shaft closer to parallel isn't about your shoulder turn, but how far your hands move in relation to your shoulder turn. You get a full turn.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 11 months later...
  • Administrator
On June 13, 2016 at 4:25 PM, nick1998bunker said:

I can not figure out how to embed the videos so there is the link. Both shots were not great. No warmup. 

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/embed-videos

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know any drills or feels to get my hands in front of my sternum to start the downswing. I feel like everything in my swing is near perfect, but at the point where my body is in position for impact, the club is still parallel to the ground. Its the initial move to start the down swing where my right elbow drops and separates from its buddy where i feel the issue is.

Halp

Its the initial move to start the down swing where my right elbow drops and separates from its buddy where i feel the issue is.

@nick1998bunker

I don't see much wrong doing here, what is your ball trajectory like? What is your big miss? 

I see your out path doesn't match your in ( the club doesn't release around your body but out toward the target. (Push or Hooks). Usually mean your hips are too fast for your arms. I had the same problem, what helped is actually having less width in my backswing feels like I can get my arms moving faster with less resistance and match my quick hips. Couldn't never get myself to slow my hips down so I focused on speeding up the arms instead. 

6 minutes ago, ygmondoux said:

@nick1998bunker

I don't see much wrong doing here, what is your ball trajectory like? What is your big miss? 

I see your out path doesn't match your in ( the club doesn't release around your body but out toward the target. (Push or Hooks). Usually mean your hips are too fast for your arms. I had the same problem, what helped is actually having less width in my backswing feels like I can get my arms moving faster with less resistance and match my quick hips. Couldn't never get myself to slow my hips down so I focused on speeding up the arms instead. 

My miss has always been a pull hook, but also I have inconsistency in every aspect of impact. Im not DJ yet so Im still trying to improve.

So you're saying I should feel like Im swinging with my arms and get them to the ball before I even feel like I start my body. Maybe try to get the hands out and in front first? Ive tried something similar before but my body likes to move on its own. Ill try that out next time I get to the range.

@nick1998bunker

On 5/17/2018 at 2:49 PM, nick1998bunker said:

So you're saying I should feel like Im swinging with my arms and get them to the ball before I even feel like I start my body. Maybe try to get the hands out and in front first? Ive tried something similar before but my body likes to move on its own. Ill try that out next time I get to the range.

You try this but what worked for me is a bit counter intuitive because of what we learned in the golf swing. I've been told countless times by pros, magazines, youtube tips that a wider arc = more power. But what if a wider arc for those with fast hips meant slowing down the arm because the club will feel heavier when your arms are fully extended.

You should just try feeling like you swing your arm around you on a smaller arc, I don't know if that makes sense. For me it works very well because I have long arms, it might be your case. 

• Administrator

I’ll say more later but look at how your right shoulder and forearm work in transition. They’re almost doing the opposite of what they should.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
On 5/17/2018 at 1:41 AM, nick1998bunker said:

Does anyone know any drills or feels to get my hands in front of my sternum to start the downswing. I feel like everything in my swing is near perfect, but at the point where my body is in position for impact, the club is still parallel to the ground. Its the initial move to start the down swing where my right elbow drops and separates from its buddy where i feel the issue is.

Kinda wish you'd done this and posted some thoughts so I knew where you were coming from or what you might have seen…

21 hours ago, iacas said:

I’ll say more later but look at how your right shoulder and forearm work in transition. They’re almost doing the opposite of what they should.

Here it is in an animated GIF type thing:

As you can see the right shoulder is pretty well externally rotated at the top, and then goes internal early in the backswing. The right forearm goes from vertical to less so, and the trail elbow actually moves behind your body more, or less "in front of your chest." It gets stuck behind your hip, leading to this…

As you can see here, the elbow is around the shirt seam and by the back pocket of your shorts… forcing your hands to continue outward and forcing your lower body to stop rotating, which increases the overtaking rate and the closure rate of the clubhead/clubface, leading to poorer clubface control than you're capable of.

Here's a bit more of a closeup from the other swing video.

Compare to Justin Rose:

• Informative 1

Note: This thread is 2169 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!