IGNORED

Not able to brush (or scrape) the mat or fairway during practice swings !

Note: This thread is 3889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

I have observed almost all decent golfers being able to slightly brush (or scrape) the ground during a practice swing on the range or on the course. I am not able to do that consistently. I have tried all kinds of the following things:

1) Keep my head still

2) Not raise my body

3) Take a shorter swing

4) Come down with my body on the downswing and not with my arms

Inspite of that I scrape the ground only sometimes during the practice swing (2 or 3 times out of 10). On the course when I am playing with others, I take my 1st practice swing and I fail to scrape the ground. I take my 2nd and many times still repeat the same thing. Since I cannot keep others waiting, I decide to go ahead and hit the ball anyways, thinking I will correct it during the actual shot. As all of you must have guessed by now, I end up topping the ball or slicing it.

So my question is, how do I consistently scrape or brush the ground during practice swings ? What am I doing or not doing which makes my club not touch the ground during the practice swing ?

Secondly, when I am playing on the course and I do not brush the ground during my 1st practice swing, should I keep on trying till I brush the ground and then and only then hit my shot ? Because like I mentioned above most of the times if I hit the shot anyways, it does not go well.

Thanks.

Post some video for better responses.  Try extending your arms in the meantime but it could be a lot of different things including losing your spine angle, pulling your head up, etc.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I'm guessing it's a weight shift issue. Try adding more downward pressure with your front foot to start the downswing. Mike (mvmac) often suggests using the feel of squishing a bug with your front foot. A good drill may be to place a small nerf ball under the ball of your front foot and make sure you squish the hell out of it during your downswing and through the impact zone. There is a video on here if that drill in the 5sk video thread but I can't link as I'm on an iPhone, maybe some kind soul will link it for you, otherwise just search the forum for the 5sk video thread and watch all the ones that relate to key#2.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm guessing it's a weight shift issue. Try adding more downward pressure with your front foot to start the downswing. Mike (mvmac) often suggests using the feel of squishing a bug with your front foot. A good drill may be to place a small nerf ball under the ball of your front foot and make sure you squish the hell out of it during your downswing and through the impact zone. There is a video on here if that drill in the 5sk video thread but I can't link as I'm on an iPhone, maybe some kind soul will link it for you, otherwise just search the forum for the 5sk video thread and watch all the ones that relate to key#2.

Agreed. You probably are able to hit the ground if you try, but your afraid of hitting the ground because it leads to fat shots for you. Get your weight shifting properly and the club will bottom out after it strikes the ball. When this is done properly, it doesn't really matter how hard you hit the ground, your ball will already have been hit pure and on its way. Draw a line and practice hitting the ground on the target side of it. Place a ball on this line and repeat. Slicing is an entirely different problem caused by an open club face and an out to in swing. Focus on squaring the clubface and swinging out to the right.

I have a similar issue in that I cannot for the life of me take a consistent divot. When I swing relaxed and naturally, I pick the ball clean and brush the grass only. If I try to take a divot after the ball, I sometimes can but often hit it fat. I'd rather swing relaxed and pick it clean. As I improve my swing I am hoping I will naturally take divots the way I read we should so I won't worry about it until my swing is better.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Originally Posted by RandallT

I have a similar issue in that I cannot for the life of me take a consistent divot. When I swing relaxed and naturally, I pick the ball clean and brush the grass only.

If I try to take a divot after the ball, I sometimes can but often hit it fat. I'd rather swing relaxed and pick it clean. As I improve my swing I am hoping I will naturally take divots the way I read we should so I won't worry about it until my swing is better.

nothing wrong with brushing the grass and picking it clean- this is what Stricker does most of the time.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I have begun taking a half swing to kick start my pre shot routine. I focus on maintaining a forward shaft lean near my impact position and scraping the grass lightly. If I am having trouble doing this, I usually find its because my weight is in the wrong place. The nice thing is, you can take 3 or 4 half swings without feeling like you are holding anyone up. Give it a try. I find that a good half swing is a trigger for a good practice swing, which in turn leads to a better shot

Originally Posted by golfdude71

Hello,

I have observed almost all decent golfers being able to slightly brush (or scrape) the ground during a practice swing on the range or on the course. I am not able to do that consistently. I have tried all kinds of the following things:

1) Keep my head still

2) Not raise my body

3) Take a shorter swing

4) Come down with my body on the downswing and not with my arms

Inspite of that I scrape the ground only sometimes during the practice swing (2 or 3 times out of 10). On the course when I am playing with others, I take my 1st practice swing and I fail to scrape the ground. I take my 2nd and many times still repeat the same thing. Since I cannot keep others waiting, I decide to go ahead and hit the ball anyways, thinking I will correct it during the actual shot. As all of you must have guessed by now, I end up topping the ball or slicing it.

So my question is, how do I consistently scrape or brush the ground during practice swings ? What am I doing or not doing which makes my club not touch the ground during the practice swing ?

Secondly, when I am playing on the course and I do not brush the ground during my 1st practice swing, should I keep on trying till I brush the ground and then and only then hit my shot ? Because like I mentioned above most of the times if I hit the shot anyways, it does not go well.

Thanks.

If you push your hands forward it naturally makes you hit down. Also look at the front of the ball and dont be scared to take a big divot.

Also dont try and hit down on it. That will make you come in steep. Instead imagine sweeping it but wwith doing the above things you will hit the ball then hit the ground and take up a thin layer of grass

If you push your hands forward it naturally makes you hit down. Also look at the front of the ball and dont be scared to take a big divot.

Over the past month, I have been working hard on looking at the front of the ball, but for me it's to cure fat shots. I had never heard this advice before, but it made sense to me that my brain is trying to ground the club where I am looking. I have especially found this useful for chipping and pitching. Contact is so much more consistent.

Note: This thread is 3889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!