IGNORED

Sabbatini Non Grata

Sherpat
Note: This thread is 6077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know this will tag me as impobably naive, but I have to ask: why does everyone seem to dislike Rory Sabattini so much?

While watching the match at Firestone yesterday the announcers were constantly playing up the Rory-Tiger antagonism. On top of that, previously on a Golf Channel show ("The Turn" maybe?) they mentioned that Rory had been voted "Least Desirable Playing Partner" by his fellow tour members.

But they also interviewed Rory on the same show and asked him about it, and he seemed like a perfectly pleasant - even funny - fellow, with a nice wife who talked about his sense of humor and likeable demeanor. Rory himself shrugged off the fact that other PGA pros seemed to think less of him than that, chalking a lot of it up to his love of playing fast (unlike most others) and also on the fact that he "speaks his mind".

That's where I figure he must have earned his reputation. "Speaking ones' mind" is often another way of saying "jerk". He must have said or done something that really pissed off his bretheren card holders. However I can't find any specific examples of these untoward behaviors on his part - only vague references to his unsavory character.

The one example that everyone CAN specifically cite is Rory's comments regarding Tiger's vulnerability (as he saw it) during a tournament press conference. But I don't get it. What Rory said was not blatantly insulting or aggressive, I thought. He merely mused that the way Tiger was playing at the time, he might be as beatable as he's ever been. Whether or not that was true (and looking at Tiger's record between the time those comments were made and yesterday's Firestone win, maybe it was) that's hardly the sort of slight that creates bad blood, I would think.

But... does it create bad blood? Is golf such a "League of Gentlemen" that unlike less genteel sports (football, basketball and boxing spring to mind), competitors are expected to be only fawning and complimentary about their fellow players? I saw Rory's comments as his honest, professional assesment of Tiger's current status, as well as his own chances against them. And he didn't even say that he COULD beat Tiger, only that if ever there ever was a time where Tiger was beatable, it might be then. Is that what passes for an " oh no you DIDN'T! " smackdown in golf? Was it his flip comment at the end, where he said that he liked the new Tiger?

Tiger himself didn't seem phased when told of Rory's comment. He came back with a good zinger of his own, and smiled through it. But the golf media seems to consider this the golf equivalent of Mike Tyson's threat to eat Evander Holyfield's children.

Is it? Am I just so new to the sport that I'm ignorant of just how bland all comments are supposed to be if one wants to be considered likeable? Or has Rory made other, more odious, remarks that I'm unaware of?

For myself, I've always liked "personalities". Even if I don't agree with the person's position (unless it's blatantly hateful, like Fred Phelps' or something), anyone in the public eye who exhibits something other than robotic efficiency is very refreshing to me. As much as I like Tiger, admire his game, and have the requisite respect for his foundation...I find myself wishing he didn't seem like such an automaton out on the links. Of course to him it's his JOB. He may require such a level of concentration to keep to his high standards that if he were to cut it up like Chi-Chi or Travino did, his game would go south. You can't really blame a guy for doing what he has to do in order to do it the best he can. Especially when there are zillions of sponsor and purse dollars at stake. Still, I wish he just seemed, I dunno, more approachable , if you know what I mean.

So, while Rory may have a reputation for outbursts following poor shots (which I didn't see him do on Sunday last), I don't find that per se to be a damning quality. If anything, it shows he really cares about his performance to the point of being emotionally tied to the outcome.

Am I outside the pale with this opinion? Do you guys find stuff like that to be outrageously boorish?

Is Rory really a bad guy??

Tom

Bag It:

3-Wood Wishon 525 F/D, 13*, Matrix Studio 65gm, Golf Pride Dual Compound
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF 85 HB, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74gm, Winn DSI

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

As a newbie to watching professional golf, I've wondered the same thing. The media often grabs and runs with the most trivial things just to get a story. To me what is more telling is that oft-quoted 'least desireable playing partner' thing. I'd love to know if that was really a vote of PGA Tour pros or what. If true, I would guess Rory shoots off his mouth more on the course and in the locker-room than what we know.

I had actually heard a lot of people complimenting Sabbatini on his incident with that one guy and his extremely slow play. I can't remember the guy's name, but the incident where Sabbatini got fed up with how slow he was playing, so he hit up to the green, putted out, and moved ahead to the next tee without his playing partner.

It seemed like a lot of people I talked to praised him for that saying "it's about time someone did", etc. I think where he went south with his reputation is when he called out Tiger. It's one thing to talk smack, but if you're gonna do it you better be ready to back it up. Sabbatini got stuck in a head-to-head match and didn't back it up. Tiger destroyed him.

We'd be singing a whole different tune about Sabbatini right now if he was the one who came out victorious the other day. Instead, we kinda point and laugh. It's not as if anyone else said those comments, he opened his own mouth, and got himself into this. Don't call out the #1 player in the world unless you're ready and capable of taking him down.
"The only thing in my bag that works is the bug spray."

In My Bag:
Big Bertha 454 Titanium (10º)
Big Bertha Fairway Woods Ping G2 HL (Black Dot) Ping M/B (56º & 52º) Mizuno MP-R Series (60º) Odyssey Black Series i #7

I think he lost that day just because he said those things. I think Tiger wanned to show him that he isn't beatable. And turned on his A-game. You could see Tiger was a little nervous in the beginning of the round. He really, really wanned to beat Sabbatini.
In my bag:
Driver: : D2 8.5°
fairway wood: 906 15°
Hybrid: 585H 19°
Irons: 4-PW 695MBWedges: 52° 56° & 60° CG12Putter: Bettinardi C-Series (Carbon Steel)Ball: Pro V1x

At the Booz Allen Classic in 2005, Ben Crane (known by tour pros as one of the slowest players on the PGA tour) was paired with Sabbatini. Sabbatini got frustrated with Crane's slow play and began publicly criticizing him on the course. Sabbatini also played ahead on the 17th hole because he thought Crane was taking to long and then walked toward the 18th tee while Crane was still in the 17th fairway.

A recent Sports Illustrated poll asked numerous PGA tour pros who they would least like to be paired with and Sabbatini was first with 25% of the vote. The next highest vote getters received only 8% of the vote.

On Sunday, when Tiger was in the process of routing Sabbatini at the Bridgestone Invitational, Sabbatini had a fan kicked out of the tournament for asking whether Sabbatini still thought Tiger was more beatable than ever. Such sensitivity from a guy who is a proponent of "speaking his mind."

Read more about what a jerk Sabbatini is at http://thesandtrap.com/swing_thought...rory_sabbatini

Driver: Launcher, 10.5°
Fairway: Big Bertha 2007, 15° & 18°
Hybrid: Rapture, 21° & 24°
Irons: Big Bertha 2006, 5 - PW
Wedges: Vokey, 52° & 56°Putter: White Hot XG, Rossie Ball: HX HotI'm not saying my golf game went bad, but if I grew tomatoes, they'd come up sliced. ~ Lee Trevino

I enjoy watching Rory and believe that he's very competitive and sometimes misunderstood. He is correct when stating that Tiger is vulnerable and beatable. Tiger's driving play is somewhat inconsistent and can often get him in trouble. Fortunately for Tiger during the last two Sunday rounds with Rory, he was able focus and turn off the lights. But this isn't something to which Tiger can always rely.

I like Rory. I would probably rather watch him play than watch Tiger. Rory is more unpredictable, that's for sure.

The media are just trying to make more drama than there really is. For me, it isn't a reality show, it's a golf tournament. I'll watch The Big Break if I want interpersonal drama mixed with my golf.

I hate Rory Sabbatini. Can't stand him.

He talks trash and never backs it up, case and point this past weekend. I also think he is a jackass, especially when it comes to slow play. Most don't like it just as much as him, but we all have to try to put up with it without nonstop complaining. I'm not saying that nobody complains about slow play, but I mean come on, this guy's on the PGA Tour.
What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

You're all just angry cause he makes millions and millions of dollars, and you don't.
In my bag:
Driver: : D2 8.5°
fairway wood: 906 15°
Hybrid: 585H 19°
Irons: 4-PW 695MBWedges: 52° 56° & 60° CG12Putter: Bettinardi C-Series (Carbon Steel)Ball: Pro V1x

Rory is one of my favorite golfers, but I agree with most that he runs his mouth way too much. Hey, at least he makes things interesting? Lol.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

You're all just angry cause he makes millions and millions of dollars, and you don't.

This kind of response has always been one of my pet peeves. Am I jealous of Rory, yeah I probably am because I wish I could play on the pro level but don't say that it makes me hate him because he makes more money than me. If this is the case and we went by what you said, than shouldn't everybody who has hated on Rory hate every other PGA player in the game because they all make more money? Tiger is the richest athlete in the game and yet I love watching him play, because of how he is on the course and the kind of game he plays. I dislike Rory because of how he runs his mouth and because he just annoys me whenever I watch him play. Its hard to put into words why I dislike him, but it deals with his demeanor. Not because I am jealous of Rory's money. Hell, as cool as it would be to be a pro golfer, I don't exactly think I'm jealous of the stressful life that they have been going through for so long.

My Clubs
Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*
3-Wood: SS-01
Hybrid: 503H 22*
Irons: Deep Red II TourSand Wedge: CG10 56*Lob Wedge: CG10 60*Putter: V Foil GT M6.4KBall: ProV1

I don't get why people hate him so much. Is it because he's talked trash about our media pooh-pooh baby Tiger? So what if he got routed? Tiger's the better player and it's been proven in his wins, etc. However, I do like to see some...ahem, challenge to the guy, if possible.

Also, I fully support Sabbatini on playing ahead when Ben Crane took his sweet time. I hate slow play.

Edit: Just so I don't get flooded out of here like on MSNBC, I've also said hundreds of times that being center stage and in the media spotlight isn't Tiger's fault, but I'm so sick of seeing Tiger this, Tiger that, Tiger everything. When I see golf on Sports Center, it's time to change the channel because I know it's all about Tiger and no one else. Same if Tiger's up by five or more shots in the final round - time to change the channel. It's just too...old.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Rory is funny. I love his quote about the lollipop of mediocrity. Does he shoot his mouth off and get himself into trouble? Sure.

He endeared himself to me by being willing to do something about slow play. He's bringing some drama to the tour, although I think media outlets are making this a bigger deal than it needs to be. And part of that is being taken out of context, I seem to recall.

Now, if Rory can push himself to actual be a rival to Tiger, and eventually back up those words, great. If not, meh, he provides some entertainment.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rory is funny. I love his quote about the lollipop of mediocrity. Does he shoot his mouth off and get himself into trouble? Sure.

I agree that he is bringing drama to the tour. However, it is negative drama. What he did to Ben Crane is disrespectful in every way. Yes, Ben Crane is a slow player. Yes, people don't like slow play. Deal with it. Especially if you are on the PGA Tour. The whole issue with him calling out Tiger Woods is ridiculous. He called him out and got his ass handed to him on more than one occasion. Enough said. The media just needs to get it over with and move on to something else.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

I know this will tag me as impobably naive, but I have to ask: why does everyone seem to dislike Rory Sabattini so much?

He comes off as a bit of a cocky hot-head. I have given this some thought over the past couple of years and I think it is mostly his physical appearance. His squinted eyes and rat-like face with lips that look like he's been sucking peanuts out a coke bottle all day "look" makes him seem like the kind of guy you'd avoid if you saw him at a bar or a ball game. I'm sure he is a nice guy, but appearances matter and I really think he simply has a physical apearance that causes this general reaction. SubPar

His squinted eyes and rat-like face with lips that look like he's been sucking peanuts out a coke bottle all day "look" makes him seem like the kind of guy you'd avoid if you saw him at a bar or a ball game.

Thanks for the laugh. Made my day. Maybe I relate to Rory better than I do to Tiger because I don't look so good either. I tend to pull for the fat guys, the old guys, the ugly guys, and the nice guys.

Thanks for the laugh. Made my day. Maybe I relate to Rory better than I do to Tiger because I don't look so good either. I tend to pull for the

I'm a big fan of Duffy Waldorf as well!

I agree that he is bringing drama to the tour. However, it is negative drama. What he did to Ben Crane is disrespectful in every way. Yes, Ben Crane is a slow player. Yes, people don't like slow play. Deal with it. Especially if you are on the PGA Tour.

I have to strongly disagree on this "deal with it" part. The incident with Ben Crane is something I really like about Rory. In fact, if someone is being Ben-Crane-slow on the course and I can finish the hole and then tee off at the next hole, I'll do it. Let the Marshal kick my random stranger off the course for being too slow, not both of us on account of him.

The whole issue with him calling out Tiger Woods is ridiculous. He called him out and got his ass handed to him on more than one occasion. Enough said. The media just needs to get it over with and move on to something else.

I don't recall him calling out Tiger. He said Tiger was beatable. He didn't specify by whom.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!