IGNORED

Interesting article/study on tee height...

$2 Nassau
Note: This thread is 6252 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just cant seem to catcha high tee consistantly I tend to use a combo, halfway between high and mid so that about 1/4 of the ball is below the crest of the driver. If I tee it higher I tend to really risk have a horrible skyed ball.

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

Tee it high and let it fly! Works well for me with the driver, with fairway wood and hybrids, I still have to tee it low.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just cant seem to catcha high tee consistantly I tend to use a combo, halfway between high and mid so that about 1/4 of the ball is below the crest of the driver. If I tee it higher I tend to really risk have a horrible skyed ball.

Same here, I stand a much better chance of hitting a better tee shot with a mid height tee.

Beware of old dudes with old clubs and new grips.

I switched to brush tees (call me a sucker for trying a gimmick) and love them. I use the orange ones, which put my ball about 1.75" up every single time. It's the consistency I like most about them. I only use them with my driver however, as I use conventional tees pushed down to the head only for 6-W and as high as the thickness of a finger (~1cm or so) for hybrids and longer irons.

I tee mine up relatively low compared to most people. I read in Golf Monthly about Sergio Garcia, and he says tees are personally preference on the height, and he tees it up low too, because he feels it gives him more control with a low flight. I tried it higher and lower and I must say I prefer lower.
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

I normally tee it up pretty high - about a two thirds of the ball is above the crown at address. Sometimes if I need a really accurate drive though, I'll tee it lower - the increased spin fights off any sidespin, at a major cost in distance. I average 260, but when I tee it low I'm happy with 230 (in the fairway). I'm not one to hit 3 wood or a long iron very often off the tee on tight holes.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Thanks for the article. I think the sweet spot being located a bit higher on modern drivers doesn't work with my current swing. I am much more comfortable with a mid tee height and with my 983 than with the current 460cc offerings. I guess I will have to adjust to the higher sweet spot when the 907D2 arrives!

That was pretty interesting. I'll give the high tee a shot tomorrow. I've found that I hit the ball really solid a fraction below mid height though.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I'm a mid-height guy as well. I've tried many times to tee it high....I understand the theory, better launch angle, upward sweeping motion resulting in less spin, etc. But it's so hard for me to put the darn clubface on the ball for some reason with a high tee. I tend to really hit it high and finish on my back foot, leading to weak drives that fly to the right.

I tee it so the top 1/3 of the ball is above the top of my driver. I feel that if I have the ball up in my stance I will still sweep it on the upward strike. My driver tends to come through the hitting zone just above the grass, not matter what I do. So a little lower height is best for me.

There is a point in relation to the depth of the clubface where it no longer matters how high you tee the ball. I think that makes sense (at least it does to me).

Driver: Superquad 9.5° - XS
3 Wood: Big Bertha II 15° - S
Irons: Mizuno MX-20
Wedges: Mizuno 50-06, 56-11, 60-05
Putter: Hog Mallet

It makes sense, but I too suffer from the pop-ups when teeing too high. I need to keep working on it I suppose.

i usedto have that problem too

it usually means your swing is too steep

• Administrator

We used to hit balls off a scorecard pencil. You could tee them up pretty high and really get them out there. Or, if you sucked, you could quickly put a bunch of idiot marks on your driver.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

When I tee it high, I mostly just hit a high sweeping hook. I don't pop it up, but I can't seem to control the shot that way. The ball doesn't go any farther than when I tee it low, just crookeder. I use standard 2-1/4" wood tees, or I push the longer ones down far enough to get the same height. I like less than half the ball above the top of the driver at address with the club grounded, then I hover the club so that the the top of the ball is level before I start the backswing.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

For people who prefer to tee up their drives high, where in your stance do you position the ball? I think most position their drives on the inside of their left foot but if you position your ball further ahead/left in your stance your swing will have gotten higher at that point.

I read that article...thanks for the link btw.
Figured I would give it a shot since I tend to top a fair number of shots anyways. Went out & bought some 3 1/4" tee's & hit the range. Pushed the tee in jusy enough so it wouldn't fall over. I literally went through an entire large bucket of balls using 2 different drivers & didn't top a single 1...that's very unusual for myself. Distance seemed to be about the same bit the flight pattern was definitely a lot higher, may need to experiment with pushing the tee in just a little deeper & see how the flight is affected.

I was believing the marketing hype earlier & had been using the brush tee's......those are not being used ever again since there is no way I can tee up as high with one of those.

BTW in regards to tee's, is there someway to tell by looking at your tee after you hit, if you have hit it correctly? Should the tee be flying down the fairway? Broken? Head ripped off? Most of the ones I hit today I either broke in half or ripped the top right off.

Note: This thread is 6252 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!