IGNORED

"The Principles Behind the Rules of Golf" by Richard S. Tufts

iacas
Note: This thread is 2628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Rulesman said:

Balls lifted from the green must be REplaced.

Yes, thank you. I was lazy in not typing the two characters.

11 hours ago, Rulesman said:

There is a perfectly adequate but under used local rule for muddy balls TTG, described as Cleaning Ball. This involves REplacing the ball and is constrained to simply cleaning off the mud

Whereas PL/LCP is designed primarily for poor grass conditions and course protection, CB/LCR is for cleaning only. If mud on the ball is the only problem LCP gives the player a bonus (particularly when 1 cl is allowed).

IMO LCP is overused when LCR should be the norm.

I agree. I also agree that this Local Rule is underutilized… and would guess many don't even know it exists.

c. Cleaning Ball 

Conditions, such as extreme wetness causing significant amounts of mud to adhere to the ball, may be such that permission to lift, clean and replace the ball would be appropriate. In these circumstances, the following Local Rule is recommended: 

"(Specify area, e.g., at the 6th hole, on a closely-mown area, anywhere through the green, etc.) a ball may be lifted and cleaned without penalty. The ball must be replaced. 

Note: The position of the ball must be marked before it is lifted under this Local Rule - see Rule 20-1.

I knew about it - we played a tournament under this condition once - but I don't know that I have thought of it or remembered it even as we were discussing mud on balls here in this thread. So I can't even say I presently "knew" about it, more the past tense version of "knew."

Anyway, yes, per @DaveP043, let's make sure we're discussing the principles, not the actual rules themselves. Much of this discussion could and perhaps even should be in a separate thread for discussion of the rule(s) themselves.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Rulesman said:

I knew you knew. It was just for general information and to make the point re underutilisation.

No, I appreciate the correction. Replace and place imply different things (particularly without the context).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Note: chapter 15 deals with the working principle "Players should play the course under conditions which are nearly as possible the same."

Perhaps that explains why you can repair ball marks. It's a short chapter IIRC, but also IIRC it does talk about how the committee has an obligation.

Obligations - Tufts

"Obviously players should play the course under conditions
which are as nearly as possible the same."

"The Committee has the duty of determining when the course is not
playable or when play should be suspended and what to do about it all
[Rule 33-2d]."

"With one exception the Rules are silent on the obligation of the
Committee to maintain uniform playing conditions on the course during a
day’s play in a stroke play competition. On the matter of cutting holes
the Committee is instructed that the holes should remain fixed for the
duration of each round [Rule 33-2c]. However, the general concern
which the Rules show for the maintenance of equitable playing conditions
during stroke play competitions, certainly suggests that the Committee
has a strong obligation in this direction."

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Some may appreciate reading this article: http://ncga.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Joe_Dey_Article.pdf .

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Some may appreciate reading this article: http://ncga.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Joe_Dey_Article.pdf .

Written in 1953, I may be mistaken, but every bit of that article is still true today.

A place where I'm not sure is in the Quote below.  In 1953 did you get all three options of relief from an unplayable lie?  The author does use the word "decides" so this seems consistent with today's rules.

Let's take our old friends, A, B and C, in a three-ball match. On one hole A's tee shot winds up unplayable. A is the sole judge of the matter; his discretion governs as to whether the ball is unplayable or not. If A decides to go back to the tee and play another ball, he will be playing three, because the penalty is stroke and distance.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Well written article. Thanks for posting it. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

13 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

In 1953 did you get all three options of relief from an unplayable lie?  The author does use the word "decides" so this seems consistent with today's rules.

.... in 1950 penalties reduced to distance only for lost, out of bounds and unplayable. Relief either distance only or within 2 club lengths, 1 penalty stroke. 
1952 Lost, Unplayable, OOB all under same rule and penalties. Player is sole judge whether his ball is unplayable, and it can be declared Unplayable anywhere. Options are stroke and distance or 2 strokes and drop back on a line. Provisional ball allowed. 
1960 USGA. reduced penalty to 1 stroke and removed Provisional option. 
1964 option added to drop within 2-club lengths of ball, 2 penalty strokes.  1968 R&A. penalty reduced to 1 stroke, no provisional

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!