IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

Star Wars episode 7 - birdie

I felt like I actually could've used less cgi, especially in the flight scenes. But overall, it was tons of fun, some GREAT acting from Finn and Rey.

Best line in the movie, when Finn says to the robot "Droid please"

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/22/2015 at 4:36 AM, colin007 said:

I felt like I actually could've used less cgi, especially in the flight scenes. But overall, it was tons of fun, some GREAT acting from Finn and Rey.

Definitely agree.  And I too would give it a birdie.

Unlike prequel series where the main characters were not very good actors, Finn and Rey's characters were portrayed by great actors.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Carol - birdie. Although it's about the problems of a lesbian couple, a lot of the issues they faced were very universal. Beautiful, Philip Glassian theme.

Brooklyn - birdie. Another period piece in NY, nuanced performance by Saoirse Ronan trying to figure out where home really is, another great screenplay by Nick Hornby. Love her Irish brogue.

Perfect Sense - birdie. I love these indie/sci fi films. Whole world loses a sense, one at a time, starting with taste and it deals with it and focus is on a couple's burgeoning relationship. On US Netflix.

On 12/22/2015 at 6:36 AM, colin007 said:

Move, ball!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Haven't watched Concussion yet, but reviews are better than I expected. Rotten Tomatoes - somewhere in the 60s, Metacritic in the 50s. Will be interesting to see how the NFL reacts. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Haven't watched Concussion yet, but reviews are better than I expected. Rotten Tomatoes - somewhere in the 60s, Metacritic in the 50s. Will be interesting to see how the NFL reacts. 

They were allowed to edit the film.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

They were allowed to edit the film.

Were they really?? Did the movie producers need their approval to release the movie?

Colin P.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, colin007 said:

Were they really?? Did the movie producers need their approval to release the movie?

I looked it up just now, but that is what I had heard. Turns out Sony already edited out all of the parts that made the NFL look really really bad.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/2015/09/02/the-ny-times-concussion-expose-is-shocking-but-not-surprising/

Headline: "The NFL Didn't Edit 'Concussion.' Sony Did It For Them."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The Revenant - biridie. There are some scenes in this movie that are just jaw dropping how did they do that? Not exactly Christmas viewing, and it'll probably drive you to watch a Christmas feel good movie or two.

9 hours ago, iacas said:

I looked it up just now, but that is what I had heard. Turns out Sony already edited out all of the parts that made the NFL look really really bad.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/2015/09/02/the-ny-times-concussion-expose-is-shocking-but-not-surprising/

Headline: "The NFL Didn't Edit 'Concussion.' Sony Did It For Them."

Here's the documentary referenced in the piece:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/league-of-denial/

Steve

• Administrator

I'm watching A Lego Brickumentary and would rate it a par. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but at the end of the day, of course, it's a documentary.

I wish I had more time in the day (and the thousands of dollars necessary) to be a true AFOL.

I liked Star Wars a lot but had many of the same concerns as others have had. Won't say anything to spoil movie. Acting was good. I liked the light tone and humor but at times thought they got a little too campy and used a bit too much of it. A birdie still. 

I give a Par ... on a very short and straight par 4 though ... it started out really slow ... of course, I could have been in love with Jennifer Lawrence and that jaded my view.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Really wanted to like The Hateful Eight more, but two scenes and a one aspect of the script prevented me from doing so. If it was the first 3/4s of the movie, I'd give it a birdie, but overall, a par. No qualms with the 70mm and most of the scenes being indoors. Nice to have the intermission for a long movie.

Steve

Saw The Big Short last night and thought it was well done, I give it a par. Hit pretty close to home because I worked for Long Beach Mortgage which was a subprime lender. My boss was at the Vegas convention that they showed in the movie. The movie was fairly accurate and did a good job of explaining how the bonds were put together and illustrating the naive nature of the business. 

I was a "behind the scenes" guy and my job was to work with mortgage brokers (guys bragging to Steve Carrell) and package the loans in a way that made sense to the bank so that they would be approved. The guys in the movie almost made it seem like you filled out a form and got the money. There was a lot more to it than that but if you lived in the SF bay area and wanted to buy a million dollar home with no money down and had a average/decent credit score, I could probably make it happen. Definitely saw some crazy stuff, enough for me to see the writing on the wall and I left the business in early '07. The company stopped lending later that year. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
19 hours ago, isukgolf said:

I give a Par ... on a very short and straight par 4 though ... it started out really slow ... of course, I could have been in love with Jennifer Lawrence and that jaded my view.

It helps if you name the movie… ;-)

19 hours ago, iacas said:

It helps if you name the movie… ;-)

LOL ... sorry it was Joy ... 

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

• Administrator

Watched "Chef." I give it a par. I was expecting something better. It wasn't ever bad enough to shut off, but it was close for a long time. I kept waiting for the good parts to come as it has a pretty high rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

• Administrator

Aloha… double bogey. Only the cuteness of Emma Stone and Rachel McAdams save it from being a BIP off the tee.