IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

Obviously, my opinion is in the minority.

Well, JL is a great actress, beautiful but overexposed and I'm not going to see a movie just because she's in it.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think JL is stunning! So I thought I'd watch "American Hustle" what a load of tripe! It's a double bogey on a short par 3! An hour and half of my life wasted! I hate it when that happens!

Gaz Lee

I think JL is stunning! So I thought I'd watch "American Hustle" what a load of tripe! It's a double bogey on a short par 3! An hour and half of my life wasted! I hate it when that happens!

Too bad you did not enjoy it as much as I did.  I thought Christian Bale was excellent.

The last scene at the elementary school was filmed in my hometown about a 1/2 mile from here.  The town was a buzz over celebrity sitings.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Watched The LEGO Movie last night.

I give it a birdie, though the end kind of soured it for me. I'd have preferred that they stay in their own world, not have people on the outside controlling them, and the whole "bad dad who instantly learns to be a good dad" angle was lame.

Also, the movie probably isn't ripe for repeated viewings, but there were so many funny parts to me, a guy who grew up playing with SO many LEGOs as a kid, that it was hilarious, even during parts my wife and kid were sitting there silently.

And Batman was hilarious.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I just finished watching this. It's good, but not in the same caliber as The Winter Soldier. Most of the cast did a great job in their roles, particularly Fassbender and McAvoy. I'm still confused about how Shadowcat can send someone back in time.

Yeah that came out of nowhere. Couple other things that weren't explained was how Prof X came back from the dead and how Wolverine got his metal claws back.

Regardless I give it a birdie, thought Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart were great and that they did a nice job giving each character their "moment".

I give it a par. And that's with my handicap taking two strokes off the score for Wolverine being the most overused and overexposed mutant ever. I'm glad it's Hugh Jackman in the role. Anyone else and I'd probably hate it more.

I think from a marketing perspective it would be a bad decision not to use one of the top 4 most popular comic characters, obviously the most widely known X-Man.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Never watched any Star Trek of any kind (Shatner, Parrick Stewart, TV or movies) until I watched the "new" Star Trek Friday night. I loved it! Easy birdie. Then watched Into Darkness last night. Also a birdie. I'm now officially a Star Trek fan! Also saw Amazing Spider Man last night. I enjoyed that as well though not as much as ST. And I'm not really a fan of remaking movies so frequently. I'll give it a par, and I'll definitely give Amazing SM 2 a look see.

Godzilla was good, but not as good as the trailers made it out to be. Oh well. Entertaining, but was hoping for more. Tap in par.

[quote name="mvmac" url="/t/70277/the-films-and-movies-thread/240_30#post_991524"]Godzilla gets a par on an easy par 4 from me. I won't spoil it for anyone but was not a fan of what happened about half way through the movie, for a number of reasons. I did like the "twist" they did with Godzilla and thought the film looked great.  [/quote] I agree with you guys on Godzilla. Easy par, no better. It certainly wasn't Heisenberg fighting dinosaurs, which is what the trailers sort of made it out to be. Either of you guys think Elizabeth Olsen was just kinda ... bad? She certainly didn't distinguish herself, although I guess her character was kind of bland to begin with. I was also a bit disappointed with how little Ken Watanabe got to do.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I agree with you guys on Godzilla. Easy par, no better. It certainly wasn't Heisenberg fighting dinosaurs, which is what the trailers sort of made it out to be. Either of you guys think Elizabeth Olsen was just kinda ... bad? She certainly didn't distinguish herself, although I guess her character was kind of bland to begin with. I was also a bit disappointed with how little Ken Watanabe got to do.

Olsen was just... there. Kind of vanilla, but the writing/part wasn't much either. Watanabe seemed like he had his OMG wonderment face on all the time. Gonna dig out the 1954 original and re-watch it.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Olsen was just... there. Kind of vanilla, but the writing/part wasn't much either.

I think part of her problem was that the kid who played their son was just so bland. Like, I'm not sure he made a single facial expression the entire time he was on screen. So any emotion she tried to play towards him just looked inauthentic. [quote name="nevets88" url="/t/70277/the-films-and-movies-thread/270_30#post_997874"] Watanabe seemed like he had his OMG wonderment face on all the time.[/quote] Haha, right. [quote name="nevets88" url="/t/70277/the-films-and-movies-thread/270_30#post_997874"] Gonna dig out the 1954 original and re-watch it.[/quote] This was actually the first Godzilla movie I had seen. Might have to go back and at least watch the 1998 one.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

This was actually the first Godzilla movie I had seen. Might have to go back and at least watch the 1998 one.

Almost everyone hates this one, but I liked it in a bad B movie way. The director had a beef against Siskel and Ebert and used the movie to hit back. That was bad. The writing was meh, but Hank Azaria and Jen Reno were funny. Especially Reno as the super French secret agent.

Steve

I agree with you guys on Godzilla. Easy par, no better.

It certainly wasn't Heisenberg fighting dinosaurs, which is what the trailers sort of made it out to be.

Either of you guys think Elizabeth Olsen was just kinda ... bad? She certainly didn't distinguish herself, although I guess her character was kind of bland to begin with.

I was also a bit disappointed with how little Ken Watanabe got to do.

Yea I would go with a par. I mean it is a monster movie. I get the themes that humans want too much control, yet you have to let nature play out. I thought the pacing was a bit slow when there was no action going on. The acting was just ok.

I agree, I really like Ken Watanabe as an actor. For the roll he had, I thought he would have a bigger presence in the movie.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Set pics from Star Wars Episode VII. Not really a whole lot to see though.

http://geektyrant.com/news/star-wars-episode-vii-over-40-photos-from-the-set

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

Edge of Tomorrow - it's tanking in the box office in the US, for the most part, but it's pretty good but I love science fiction. Like all time travel movies, there are plot holes and the baddies aren't all that sketched out, but I would say it's on par in terms of likability with Oblivion. Birdie.

Steve

Talk about time epic movies... AMC had Legend of Baggar Vance on last night. U.S. Open weekend and one great golf movie.....I give that an EAGLE rating;)

Its not the dreams in the recesses of you mind, its the approach and how you go at it Roddy

Edge of Tomorrow - it's tanking in the box office in the US, for the most part, but it's pretty good but I love science fiction. Like all time travel movies, there are plot holes and the baddies aren't all that sketched out, but I would say it's on par in terms of likability with Oblivion. Birdie.

I give it a birdie as well, actually thought it was better than Oblivion. Good action, good humor and I think they found an interesting way to tell the story.

Also saw 22 Jump Street a few days ago, for a comedy I give it a birdie. Some movies give away their funniest scenes in the previews, these guys didn't do that, some hilarious scenes, especially with Ice Cube.

Mike McLoughlin

I give it a birdie as well, actually thought it was better than Oblivion. Good action, good humor and I think they found an interesting way to tell the story.

Oblivion really grew on me as I rewatched it. Are we an effective team? Plus the M83 soundtrack. I think Edge of Tomorrow will grow on me as well when it's released to stream and I'll be able to make a better comparison then. The relationship with Emily Blount is much more sketched out in Edge of Tomorrow compared to his female companion in Oblivion. And there's comedy gold in watching Tom Cruise die over and over again.

Steve

I made it through Knights Of Badassdom yesterday. Expectations were pretty low going in, so I wasn't totally dissapointed. I give it a bogey after a three putt opportunity for birdie.

Corey