IGNORED

2013 FRYS.com Open Discussion Thread - 2014 PGA Tour begins!

Crim
Note: This thread is 3847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Unlike last season...this FRYS.com open gives the winner 500 Fed Ex Points.

2013 Frys.com Open
Player Field as of October 5, 2013
Adams, Blake
Allenby, Robert
Ames, Stephen
Appleby, Stuart
Baddeley, Aaron
Baird, Briny
Barnes, Ricky
Beckman, Cameron
Beljan, Charlie
Blixt, Jonas
Bohn, Jason
Bowditch, Steven
Brown, Scott
Byrd, Jonathan
Cabrera, Angel
Campbell, Chad
Carr, David
Cauley, Bud
Chappell, Kevin
Cink, Stewart
Clark, Tim
Claxton, Will
Coceres, Jose
Collins, Chad
Compton, Erik
Crane, Ben
Curtis, Ben
Davis, Brian
Driscoll, James
Ernst, Derek
Fritsch, Brad
Funk, Fred
Gainey, Tommy
Gardiner, Scott
Garnett, Brice
Garrigus, Robert
Gay, Brian
Glover, Lucas
Gonzales, Andres
Goosen, Retief
Goydos, Paul
Guthrie, Luke
Hadley, Chesson
Hahn, James
Harman, Brian
Hearn, David
Henry, J.J.
Herman, Jim
Hicks, Justin
Hoffmann, Morgan
Homa, Max
Horschel, Billy
Howell III, Charles
Hurley III, Billy
Huh, John
Immelman, Trevor
Ishikawa, Ryo
Jacobson, Freddie
Kelly, Jerry
Kisner, Kevin
Knox, Russell
Koepka, Brooks
Kokrak, Jason
Langley, Scott
Lee, Danny
Leishman, Marc
Leonard, Justin
Levin, Spencer
Loar, Edward
Loupe, Andrew
Love III, Davis
Lovemark, Jamie
MacKenzie, Will
Maggert, Jeff
Malnati, Peter
Marino, Steve
Martin, Ben
Matsuyama, Hideki
Matteson, Troy
McGirt, William
McNeill, George
Mediate, Rocco
Merrick, John
Merritt, Troy
Molder, Bryce
Na, Kevin
Noh, Seung-Yul
Ogilvy, Geoff
O’Hair, Sean
Overton, Jeff
Perez, Pat
Peterson, John
Pettersson, Carl
Potter Jr., Ted
Putnam, Michael
Reavie, Chez
Reed, Patrick
Rollins, John
Sabbatini, Rory
Senden, John
Singh, Vijay
Slocum, Heath
Stanley, Kyle
Steele, Brendan
Streb, Robert
Stroud, Chris
Stuard, Brian
Summerhays, Daniel
Svoboda, Andrew
Swafford, Hudson
Teater, Josh
Thomas, Justin
Thompson, Nicholas
Todd, Brendon
Tringale, Cameron
Tway, Kevin
Van Aswegen, Tyrone
Vegas, Jhonattan
Verplank, Scott
Villegas, Camilo
Wagner, Johnson
Walker, Jimmy
Weir, Mike
Wi, Charlie
Williams, Chris
Williams, Lee
Woodland, Gary
Yang,

FEATURED GROUPS FOR TOMORROW

Gary Woodland-Jonas Blixt-Billy Horschel (7:40 a.m., No. 10): This group features two players who qualified for the TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola -- Woodland and Horschel -- with the defending champion. All three players won in 2013, as well. Woodland claimed the Reno-Tahoe Open, Blixt won The Greenbrier Classic and Horschel won the Zurich Classic of New Orleans.

Sean O'Hair-Rocco Mediate-Trevor Immelman (8 a.m., No. 10): This group includes the 2010 champion, Rocco Mediate, with two of the higher-profile players to regain their TOUR cards via the Web.com Tour Finals. Mediate, 50, has won twice on the Champions Tour this season. Immelman is the 2008 Masters champion, while O'Hair is a four-time PGA TOUR winner.

Michael Putnam-John Peterson-Chesson Hadley (8:30 a.m., No. 10): This group features three of the most successful players from the 2013 Web.com Tour season. Michael Putnam was the Regular Season's leading money winner, while Peterson was the Web.com Tour Finals leading money winner after finishing in the top five in all four events. Both players earned spots in THE PLAYERS Championship with their accomplishments. Chesson Hadley won the Web.com Tour Championship and was the leading combined money winner in the Regular Season and Finals.

Marc Leishman-Angel Cabrera-Charles Howell III (12:20 p.m., No. 1): Two participants in last week's Presidents Cup, Marc Leishman and Angel Cabrera, are in this group along with Charles Howell III, who finished 11th in last year's Frys.com Open. Leishman and Cabrera both went 2-2-0 at Muirfield Village. They also both finished in the top five in this year's Masters, with Cabrera losing a playoff to Adam Scott.

Davis Love III-Mike Weir-Hideki Matsuyama (12:30 p.m., No. 1): Two major champions, Davis Love III and Mike Weir, are paired with 21-year-old Hideki Matsuyama of Japan, who played last week's Presidents Cup and is making his PGA TOUR debut as a member. Matusyama, No. 30 in the Official World Golf Ranking, earned TOUR membership by finishing in the top 25 in all six of his starts last season, including top-10s at the U.S. Open and The Open Championship.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Anyone going to the Frys.com Open this year at CordeValle? I'll be there on Sunday!

Grant K

:tmade: R1 Driver

:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 3W

:nike: VRS Covert 2.0 Forged Irons 3-PW, AW 

:cleve: CG15 56*

:titleist: Vokey 60*

:odyssey: Metal-X Milled #2

:callaway: Chrome Soft

I am going on Saturday. Should be a good tournament.

NICE! Let us know how it goes.

I am liking Cabrera based on the field.  Should be a good opening tourney.  Amazing how Golf really never stops.

From what I heard, this is one of the earliest if not THEE earliest a new season has ever started. I love it. I'm thinking someone from the first featured group will win it, but there's a lot of fantastic players that could win. I'm keeping a close eye on Matsuyama and Justin Thomas. Justin seemed like a major rival to Jordan Spieth during college. FRYS.com is his first pro event.

I'll also be keeping tabs on Cameron Beckman because he's a local here in the Twin Cities and should have won the playoff at Sanderson Farms against Woody Austin :pound:

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I guess nobody is following this tournament that much, not much comment on this thread.  What does everyone think about the new season starting already?

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

I guess nobody is following this tournament that much, not much comment on this thread.  What does everyone think about the new season starting already?

What's not to love?!  It's golf, and I never really cared for the old "silly season" crap they used to put on this time of year.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Same here with the silly season.  I love getting to watch some of the Web.com guys and getting used to them know that they are on the PGA tour.  Some of these tournaments should have big names next year or year after.  I think they had to agree to play in some if the PGA tour let them play in some big money game a year or so ago over seas.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

For golf fans I think it's better that FedEx points are being awarded to attract a better field.  If I was on the web.com tour I'd be disappointed that the offering of FedEx points was attracting more Tour Players which leaves less openings for the web.com guys.

Joe Paradiso

For golf fans I think it's better that FedEx points are being awarded to attract a better field.  If I was on the web.com tour I'd be disappointed that the offering of FedEx points was attracting more Tour Players which leaves less openings for the web.com guys.

I would guess that last year, a lot of guys in this field were fighting to keep their tour cards, not necessarily "web.com" players.  Other than limited open qualifying and sponsors exemptions, there is really not a mechanism for web.com guys (with no PGA tour status) to play in PGA Tour events.  If there are not enough regular tour players interested in an event, then the remaining spots go to past tour winners (and other guys with limited PGA tour status), not web.com guys.  I wouldn't be opposed to having it done that way (and have posted before that there should be more of a cross-over mechanism), but that is not currently the way the Tour handles it.

This year, it seems as if most of the guys who just got their tour cards through the Web.com Final series are playing along with some 2013 tour players that are looking to get a jump start for 2014 (mainly guys who did not make it deep into the playoffs or failed to keep their card and have limited status for this season).

One of the more interesting stories is 2nd round leader Brooks Koepka.  He and Peter Uihlein are two young Americans ranked in the top 100 with full Euro Tour status but no PGA/Web.com status.  Koepka got paired with Tiger in the final round of the PGA this year and a high showing might help him earn enough to at least get into the Web.com Tour finals in 2014 to try for a PGA Tour card for 2015.  Of course, he could go the Jordan Spieth route with a win.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Hi folks. I just saw above where someone mentioned the new season. I'm new here and have a question. Is this tournament the first one for the new FedX cup year? Or is this some part of the new, post qualifying school, process. I have a cousin in the field, Ben Martin, and I must confess I haven't kept up with the changes.

Lee

In My Bag... Driver:Titleist 913D3  3 Wood: Dunlop 16deg railer  Hybr:Titleist 910H 24deg  4-GW:Mizuno JPX825Pros

Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey 256-14  60deg: Mizuno Zoid   Putter: Odyssey WH Rossie (Left handed)

Originally Posted by PuttsLefty

Hi folks. I just saw above where someone mentioned the new season. I'm new here and have a question. Is this tournament the first one for the new FedX cup year? Or is this some part of the new, post qualifying school, process. I have a cousin in the field, Ben Martin, and I must confess I haven't kept up with the changes.

First event of the new (2013-14) season.  Here is the full schedule http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/schedule.html

2013 was the first season where the last event was the Tour Championship.  Previously, the playoffs ended, but the season continued with the Fall Series events counting towards $ list winner, top 125 and Player of the Year, etc..  The new schedule makes more sense with those all concluding with the end of the Fed Ex Cup race/TC/Playoffs.  Having the new season start so quickly might take some getting used to.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I was there on Saturday. I was only able to stay for part of the day but the weather was perfect. I sat on the first hole and watched a bunch of guys tee off and then moved over to the 17th to see the guys try to drive the green. Ben Crane holed out with a wedge after laying up. Seems the guys laying up were out playing the guys going for it. The 17th is a good strategy discussion because many of the guys have the distance to drive it but the shape of the green and bunkering mean a lay up may be the more prudent play.

Next year the tournament moves to Silverado in Napa. I wonder about the attendance up there. Probably for the first year it will be good, but after that it may struggle a bit.

Michael

I was there on Saturday. I was only able to stay for part of the day but the weather was perfect. I sat on the first hole and watched a bunch of guys tee off and then moved over to the 17th to see the guys try to drive the green. Ben Crane holed out with a wedge after laying up. Seems the guys laying up were out playing the guys going for it. The 17th is a good strategy discussion because many of the guys have the distance to drive it but the shape of the green and bunkering mean a lay up may be the more prudent play.

Next year the tournament moves to Silverado in Napa. I wonder about the attendance up there. Probably for the first year it will be good, but after that it may struggle a bit.

From what I saw of the 17th watching on TV Saturday, A very good drive was rewarded because of the severe backstop. You couldn't really see the slope very well over the TV, but it must have been very steep as fast as a drive would stop and pick up speed rolling backwards.

Lee

In My Bag... Driver:Titleist 913D3  3 Wood: Dunlop 16deg railer  Hybr:Titleist 910H 24deg  4-GW:Mizuno JPX825Pros

Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey 256-14  60deg: Mizuno Zoid   Putter: Odyssey WH Rossie (Left handed)

Note: This thread is 3847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!