IGNORED

What did you give up once you got addicted to golf?

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 3815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We started about the same time, but, Wow, you got in 300 rounds? I think I am lucky if I have more than 120, and most of those were just fun rounds. I only scored about 50 rounds, and played strictly by the rules 20?

yeah, I've been lucky - tons of golf courses where I live, wife loves to golf too, guys at work are fanatics ... probably play 2 or more times after work a week & at least once on weekends during season.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We started about the same time, but, Wow, you got in 300 rounds? I think I am lucky if I have more than 120, and most of those were just fun rounds. I only scored about 50 rounds, and played strictly by the rules 20?

Same here, in three years I have played about 85 rounds, though that first year I caught the golf bug in July so it wasn't a full year.  There's no way I'd be able to play that many rounds given my business and home life.  I'm really jealous.

Joe Paradiso

i gave up playing softball... i use to play serious tournament softball almost every weekend that i could from may to august... and just got burned out after too many years..  And honestly i do not miss it!!!

And as i told a lot of my softball friends, when they asked me what i am going to do if i am not playing softball... I am going to go golfing!!   and unlike softball, i dont have to rely on  9 other guys getting permission from their wife so they can play on saturday lol.....

It is what it is

I can honestly say that I didn't give up anything for golf. Maybe I'm just so utterly consumed by it that it's clouded my memory and judgment. Maybe my dignity? My wife yells at me all the time for making practice swings when we're out in public. I mean, c'mon, seriously what else is there to do when you're standing on lines or shopping? And department stores have such lovely full length mirrors... Whatever, I'm not addicted, I can totally quit whenever I want...

Lol I make practice swings as well when I'm out and about with my wife.. She just laughs at me and thinks I'm weird.. To op.. I gave up the playing basketball, flag football and video games.. I use to be super addicted to video games and my wife would get pissed at me and would tell me to get out of the house and do something. Got Addicted to golf and now she wants me home more playing video games.. Funny how that works.. I guess I have this addictive personality and she hates how I just can't do it in moderation.. Go hard or go home though right!

Beer league softball Flag football 30-up hoops league Playing the drums Mountain biking And finally reading anything other than golf books and mags

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Not sure I've given these up directly as a result of getting back into golf necessarily, but prior addictions that seem to have taken a back seat are:

1.  Guitar

2.  Playing soccer (I still coach)

3.  Flying

4.  Fly Fishing

The last 2 I really haven't done for years anyways but, if it weren't for golf, would probably consider getting back into at some point.

Soccer - same here.

Mostly though, I just gave up feeling sorry for myself.

I had always surfed and played soccer.  Then I took a job in Oklahoma - no surfing.  After two years, my ankle just self-destructed (one ankle-sprain too many), and I couldn't do anything more than walk without getting a swollen ankle and needed crutches for 2-3 days --- no soccer.

So I felt sorry for myself.

...until my neighbor finally convinced me to borrow his son's clubs and play a round with him.  A few hours later I was completely hooked.  And I had a way to chase a ball around that wouldn't trash my ankle. (I ended up needing surgery last Fall.)

I used to put in 80+ hour work-weeks regularly.  And when my daughters arrived, something had to give --- I guess it's been work (not family, not golf).

PS GangGreen: I'll have to hit you up for coaching advice in a couple of years.  I want to coach (or help coach) when my daughters play.

Working out and mountain biking.

The working out was getting a little out of hand so it may have been for the best. I do miss being in crazy good shape, but I'll take watching my son turn and grin at me when he hits a good shot on the range over the washboard abs every day of the week. Working out was for me only. Golf is for me and my family.

I play less softball and brew less beer.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Giving up fishing is leading the poll ....  I didn't know fishing is more time consuming than golf.

You need to wait for the fish to decide to take your bait...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Tennis. I used to love to play and would play every single Saturday. Once I fell in love with golf though, I had to give that up and play golf every weekend. :-)
my get up and go musta got up and went..

You need to wait for the fish to decide to take your bait...

Looks like there is time to get a half round in while waiting for fish to bite.    What if someone combines golf & fishing?   A golf course can be built along a long stream or lake.  While waiting to tee off, golfer can cast a fishing rod.  Any time golfer catches a fish, two stroke can be deducted from the final round score.  This way, fishing aficionado does not have to give his love to start playing golf. ;-)

Also, see Nutter's avatar.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!