IGNORED

How would you handle this?

Finn07
Note: This thread is 6111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am teeing off on a par 3 today, and right in the middle of my backswing some guys phone starts ringing in the adjacent fairway. It was a nextel and he was talking back and forth on speaker phone nonetheless. I ended up pulling the ball terribly into some deep rough and was not happy to say the least. I ended up not saying a word to the guy because I couldnt get close enough to him and didnt want to yell on the course. I made a decent chip to about 20 feet and saved par so that was the only good that could have came out of the story. I was pissed though.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I think this goes along the lines of talking during your back-swing .... it just shouldn't have happened. I think cell phones should be turned off (or put on vibrate) in the first place. But to answer your question, someone in his foursome should have notified him (if they knew anything about golf etiquette). You are a bigger man than I am for not yelling at him.
In my Sun Mountain Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R7 SuperQuad 10.5°
3 wood: TaylorMade R7 Steel
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 2i(18*), 3i(20*)Irons: Titleist Ap2Wedges: Titleist Vokey 50* Oil Can & 54* SMPutter: Odyssey Black Series #1 / Ping Piper I-Series

The only time I get pissed on a course is when someone fails to yell four and almost hit me. Other then that I dont get bent out of shape over distractions. Playing in the worst possible elements will only make you focus better.

It was a coincidence that it happened on your backswing, but he should have had his phone on vibrate, of even off for that matter. I wouldnt have said anything because im just a teenager but I would have been ticked off. Sometimes you just have to learn to zone out those kind of things.

For instance at my course on the second hole the tee box is right beside a soccer field so everytime we tee off there is screaming and cheering....for me of course.. not the soccer players ;)
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I was playing at a course in scotland called Craig And Tinny and a golf ball came flying over me and hit my golf bag not myself i thought to myself you would have thought someone would have shouted FOUR Then when i turned around it was about 3 or 4 12 year olds trying to get over a wall and hitting balls anywhere they wanted

I wouldnt have said anything because im just a teenager

That doesn't disqualify you from getting the same amount of respect and etiquette from other golfers that's supposed to be given as a matter of course. Letting yourself be walked over is only going to make it worse as you get older.

To reply to Finn though, I would have probably hit another ball. If something distracts me such as getting bit by a fly or a bird flying overhead, I take it as a rub of the green - but someone else's phone I consider an outside agency, and shouldn't be in play. The guy's phone should have been on vibrate. It's his fault, not yours that you made a bad shot. Sure, you could have made the bad shot anyway, or done something worse, but you'll never truly know unless you hit another ball.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

This happened to me as well today.

I chunked my 8-Iron what felt like really awfully, but it still managed to roll up to the green.

How laucky!

ps that's an intentional misspelling.
"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

Just good old fashion courtesy to everyone else is good enough reason to keep cell phones from being a distraction on the course. Ringers should be put on vibrate, and if you do have to take a call you should make sure you are not disturbing anyone.

Cell phones on the range and practice greens are just as bad. Two weeks ago I was getting some short game practice in and some guy walks over talking on his phone. He hangs up only to have another call that comes in. So this guy proceeds to putt balls while holding his cell phone between his ear and shoulder. He was talking for about five minutes doing this. I just used it as an opportunity to work on my focus but it was still annoying (guess my focus practice didn't work!)
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52°/56°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Definitely should be put on vibrate and stowed away in the golf bag. I dont even check mine until the round is complete. To top it off the guy had it on speakerphone and was chatting away. I saved par so that was nice at least.
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

If possible, you should have stopped your swing, backed off from your setup and waited. Usually if you stand there with a look of impatience, staring him down while he's talking, he will eventually get the message without you having to say a word. I've had to do that a couple times.

Or, if you couldn't stop your swing and ended up hitting like crap, just hit another ball once the guy shuts up. As long as the guys in your group are ok with it, of course.
"The only thing in my bag that works is the bug spray."

In My Bag:
Big Bertha 454 Titanium (10º)
Big Bertha Fairway Woods Ping G2 HL (Black Dot) Ping M/B (56º & 52º) Mizuno MP-R Series (60º) Odyssey Black Series i #7

If possible, you should have stopped your swing, backed off from your setup and waited. Usually if you stand there with a look of impatience, staring him down while he's talking, he will eventually get the message without you having to say a word. I've had to do that a couple times.

Hitting another one not an option unfortunately, and I couldnt have stopped the swing. I see what your saying though, if it were early enough I definitely would have stopped it but he was so ingrained in his conversation that he would have never saw me unfortunately.

I am teeing off on a par 3 today, and right in the middle of my backswing some guys phone starts ringing in the adjacent fairway. It was a nextel and he was talking back and forth on speaker phone nonetheless. I ended up pulling the ball terribly into some deep rough and was not happy to say the least. I ended up not saying a word to the guy because I couldnt get close enough to him and didnt want to yell on the course. I made a decent chip to about 20 feet and saved par so that was the only good that could have came out of the story. I was pissed though.

Stop the swing if possible. If it's mid-backswing, you should be able to do this. Unless you're small and he's big, go over to him and tell him to turn off the phone. If he doesn't turn his phone off, do as Stevie does. (kidding on the last part). If it were a repeated behavior, I'd call the marshal (the only acceptable reason to talk on your phone mid-course is to call the marshal, or emergencies). If it is a kid, I'd take my phone out and set off the mosquito (something just about anyone over the age of 22 won't hear).
Cell phones on the range and practice greens are just as bad. Two weeks ago I was getting some short game practice in and some guy walks over talking on his phone. He hangs up only to have another call that comes in. So this guy proceeds to putt balls while holding his cell phone between his ear and shoulder. He was talking for about five minutes doing this. I just used it as an opportunity to work on my focus but it was still annoying (guess my focus practice didn't work!)

If you're putting your own balls, go talk to him about this. Focus shouldn't have to be over cell phones.

If you're putting range balls, put into him. When he gives you a look, say "sorry, your phone conversation is causing me to slice with my putter."

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's not much that you can do about it other than step back and really focus on your swing. That's all i would do is just go through my entire preshot routine and focus on the shot.

Played 9 holes on thursday & when we got to the 5th tee box there were 3 kids on the rear deck of a house which is maybe 80-90 yds from the tee box. Anyways these kids were literally yelling, screaming & they even had some loud horns. Obviously they were getting a kick out pissing of the golfers. One of my playing partners was getting upset, but since I have grandkids it was easy enough to just tune them out, hit my drive & leave them ungratified.

The only time I get pissed on a course is when someone fails to yell four and almost hit me. Other then that I dont get bent out of shape over distractions. Playing in the worst possible elements will only make you focus better.

I agree, I'm the same way, nothing worse imho then almost being hit by a ball. I've played a course in Maryland where there is a gun range right next to the course (so imagine the noise from that )...also I carry my cell phone during Golf, but my Wife knows not to call unless it's a emergency (we have 2 small children).. it is on vibrate but still if a call comes through you have to speak right....if it's not her, I don't answer it

I would have walked over to him, kicked him in the junk and sent his cell phone 120 down the fairway with my PW :)

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

id do nothing, and i wouldnt have hit it that bad id hope. I almost never let things like that bother me so :|. I had a friend who used to mess around and try and say stuff in my backswing so its whatever to me. People who get all riled up over the smallest thing and pretend it hurt them get annoying ( dunno if thats the type of person/player you are, but ive played with a ton of them and it just sounds like an excuse). He shouldnt be on it, but hes not even in your foursome or on the same hole so you cant really say anything imo.

First off I'm just a golf mom.

Yes it was rude of him to have his cell phone on, plus carrying on a conversation. But...and there is always a but...he was on the adjacent fairway. Correct? How narrow is your course? I've been at many Jr tourneys where the kids that are teeing off, hear the parents clapping or yelling "good Putt" on an adjacent green that I can't even see. Stuff happens on the course all of the time. I've seen some crazy stuff from these parents of the juniors. Bottom line is...my kid is pretty much bomb proof when it comes to playing in tourneys or practice. He's used to it...it's not the Masters.

~disclaimer~ I'm just a golf mom.

Note: This thread is 6111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!