IGNORED

TST SoCal Winter Outing - Feb. 16, 2014 @ Goose Creek

jefkve
Note: This thread is 3719 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Btw, not calling anyone out, but how many balls went in the water on 18? I know our group had 1...

Thank you, thank you very much!! ;-)

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefkve

Btw, not calling anyone out, but how many balls went in the water on 18? I know our group had 1...

Thank you, thank you very much!!

I take it @jefkve , didn't splash? :-D

Turtleback, it was a great pleasure meeting you. Thanks for tallying up our scores for the Stableford points. I feel bad that the two scorecards did not match, but I guess we were enjoying ourselves a little too much. :8)

In any case, join us in another event: http://thesandtrap.com/t/72599/tst-so-cal-spring-2014-outing#post_952044

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thank you, thank you very much!!

You're welcome! :beer:

I take it @jefkve, didn't splash?

Nope, Pulled my drive, hit a 4h to the front of the green, two putt for par.  /Brag

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

You're welcome!

Nope, Pulled my drive, hit a 4h to the front of the green, two putt for par.  /Brag

With a bad back, no less.

Also, it should be pointed out that Jeff teed his ball up from the blue tee box on this hole...yadda yadda yadda, he made par.

;-)

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

With a bad back, no less.

Also, it should be pointed out that Jeff teed his ball up from the blue tee box on this hole...yadda yadda yadda, he made par.

As much as I'd like to take credit for paring from the blues, I was reminded we needed points, and ending playing from the whites. Still feels like an accomplishment though.

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

I take it @jefkve, didn't splash?

Next outing, I'm putting myself down for 27 HCP. :-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Next outing, I'm putting myself down for 27 HCP.

True story: Actually, my current index had me at 30 before the event, but I've been playing well and thought that was too high, so I gave 27 as my hc. After adding Sunday's score, my HC went UP to 33. :doh: Clearly I need to put more work into my game!

Thanks everyone for a fun day.  Course was really nice, my team was fun, and just generally a great time.  Our team stayed completely dry on 18!  And Jeff's play on that hole was impressive, especially given he was fighting his back all day and it was on 18!

Wish I could ever not play horribly in these events.  Hadn't seen those final scores.  Makes me feel like I dragged our team down a bit shooting so far over my handicap.  My 22 putts on the back 9 surely didn't help.  And those pictures of me swinging on the first tee above prove that once again much of what I've been working on has failed to sink in...  At least both my birdies were on holes where I got strokes for net eagle :)

Black Gold's a course I've heard good things about and wouldn't mind playing.  If we go south I'll advocate for east side, maybe Temecula (yes I know that's actually south Riverside)?  Redhawk http://www.redhawkgolfcourse.com/ and Cross Creek http://www.crosscreekgolfclub.com/ are both supposed to be nice, tough courses that have rates around what we've been playing.  Castle Creek http://www.castlecreekcc.com isn't quite as fancy as those other places look but I've actually played there and it's a great layout that with some risk/reward.

Also, can I request we don't wait all the way until summer to do the next one.  I've got a baby coming on June 3 and my wife's very cool about me taking a full day for these now, but I imagine I won't be joining a round in June.  Maybe late April?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Next outing, I'm putting myself down for 27 HCP.

True story: Actually, my current index had me at 30 before the event, but I've been playing well and thought that was too high, so I gave 27 as my hc. After adding Sunday's score, my HC went UP to 33. Clearly I need to put more work into my game!

It was a pretty tough course, especially for us higher handicappers. I hit a 4H from a bunker on 12, and saw the ball land on the fairway roll for a bit and jump up off the fairway. Couldn't find the ball, even though it was clearly visible from only about 180 yards away. Similar stories on a few other holes. Perfect drive into the 25' tall marsh weeds on the left on one of the perilous holes, etc. etc.

Don't worry about your handicap going up after this round! B-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Thanks everyone for a fun day.  Course was really nice, my team was fun, and just generally a great time.  Our team stayed completely dry on 18!  And Jeff's play on that hole was impressive, especially given he was fighting his back all day and it was on 18!

Wish I could ever not play horribly in these events.  Hadn't seen those final scores.  Makes me feel like I dragged our team down a bit shooting so far over my handicap.  My 22 putts on the back 9 surely didn't help.  And those pictures of me swinging on the first tee above prove that once again much of what I've been working on has failed to sink in...  At least both my birdies were on holes where I got strokes for net eagle :)

Black Gold's a course I've heard good things about and wouldn't mind playing.  If we go south I'll advocate for east side, maybe Temecula (yes I know that's actually south Riverside)?  Redhawk http://www.redhawkgolfcourse.com/ and Cross Creek http://www.crosscreekgolfclub.com/ are both supposed to be nice, tough courses that have rates around what we've been playing.  Castle Creek http://www.castlecreekcc.com isn't quite as fancy as those other places look but I've actually played there and it's a great layout that with some risk/reward.

Also, can I request we don't wait all the way until summer to do the next one.  I've got a baby coming on June 3 and my wife's very cool about me taking a full day for these now, but I imagine I won't be joining a round in June.  Maybe late April?

At least you didn't lose your footing on the first tee of the day with everyone watching. :whistle:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/72599/tst-so-cal-spring-2014-outing#post_952044

Hey, you mentioned we should find a time to play together outside these outings, PM me. My son and I are up for that, if he's burned out on golf (high school team), my daughter can go out with us too! She scores better than my son, but only drives 195.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Thanks everyone for a fun day.  Course was really nice, my team was fun, and just generally a great time.  Our team stayed completely dry on 18!  And Jeff's play on that hole was impressive, especially given he was fighting his back all day and it was on 18!

Black Gold's a course I've heard good things about and wouldn't mind playing.  If we go south I'll advocate for east side, maybe Temecula (yes I know that's actually south Riverside)?  Redhawk http://www.redhawkgolfcourse.com/ and Cross Creek http://www.crosscreekgolfclub.com/ are both supposed to be nice, tough courses that have rates around what we've been playing.  Castle Creek http://www.castlecreekcc.com isn't quite as fancy as those other places look but I've actually played there and it's a great layout that with some risk/reward.

Oh, yeah. I miswrote your line, sorry

I am there with you on these events, I don't have opportunity's to play in a tournament style play, so I get to this and just get nervous. Blow short putts for birdies but make long ones for bogey?

Wish my game was more consistent,  what ever the case still enjoy the heck out of them and seeing you all.

Also congratulations on the new baby.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

• Administrator
DO NOT PLAY an outing at Cross Creek. Stupid course.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

... and Cross Creek http://www.crosscreekgolfclub.com/ are both supposed to be nice ...

Yeah ... what he said.  ^^^^^  Way too gimicky to the point of being unfair.

Hole #16, for example:  From the Golds, a 372 yard Par 4.  If you try to hit a club 200 yards or more off the tee, its almost a guarantee that your ball will end up in the hazard to the right of the fairway.  You are basically required to hit something 180-190 off the tee ... thus leaving you with another 180-190 coming home.  Stupid.

Also, Hole #13:  403 yard par 4 that is the epitome of "target" golf.  The "Fairway" is basically a giant green.  200 yards to reach it, and its 70 yards long and 40 wide.  Miss it in any direction and you're dead.

Anyways ... let's not play there. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

There are a lot of other courses in the Temecula area though, I've played none of them, but they seem nice (of course, so did Crosscreek prior to yesterday ;))

Temeku Hills

Redhawk

Golf Club at Rancho California

Pechanga ... @mvmac you can hook us up, right???  ;)

A little further north, near Corona, there is:

Eagle Glen

Champion Club

Dos Lagos

I started another thread for the next outing. . .

http://thesandtrap.com/t/72599/tst-so-cal-spring-2014-outing#post_952044

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Had fun playing Goose Creek this past Sunday.  Thanks to Mike and Tristan for putting this event together... And Erik and Brandon for traveling into Socal to participate.  It was a good time and great to see everyone again.

Look forward to playing in the next outing...

This is why I made sure to point out I'd only actually played one of the three!  I'll stand by Castle Creek.  Though while it's a really fun layout it's not as immaculately maintained as Goose Creek.  Would love to impose the LONG par 5 6th hole on some of our short hitters :)  #6 is 624 yards from the 6,688 yard back tees and 596 yards from the 6,372 yard middle tees.

I'm throwing that area into the mix only cause the courses we've played have all been huge hikes for me, so if there's a possibility we'll go out near the 15 again, I'll advocate for further south so I can make it a visit the in-laws weekend and have a short drive from their place in Fallbrook (between Temecula and Escondido just off the 15).

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Only from the tee.  I splashed one from the fairway on my second shot.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

This is why I made sure to point out I'd only actually played one of the three!  I'll stand by Castle Creek.  Though while it's a really fun layout it's not as immaculately maintained as Goose Creek.  Would love to impose the LONG par 5 6th hole on some of our short hitters :)  #6 is 624 yards from the 6,688 yard back tees and 596 yards from the 6,372 yard middle tees.

I'm throwing that area into the mix only cause the courses we've played have all been huge hikes for me, so if there's a possibility we'll go out near the 15 again, I'll advocate for further south so I can make it a visit the in-laws weekend and have a short drive from their place in Fallbrook (between Temecula and Escondido just off the 15).

You ever played Arrowwood??

That course looks fun.

Note: This thread is 3719 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!