IGNORED

"Get in the hole"

mstuk
Note: This thread is 4296 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've never heard someone "yelling," just talking. However, a couple of days ago, my buddy was making a 15 foot putt. He ended up landing the ball right on the rim of the hole. Probably in anger or annoyance, he slammed his foot, and the ball went in.

I personally wouldn't do either, but everyone is different, I guess.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I'll shout 'SIT DOWN' and 'COME BACK', but 'GET IN THE HOLE' off the tee? Never, lol.

This is what I don't get about yelling "get in the hole". People only yell it on shots that have practically 0 chance of going in.

Yes, people have holed out from 100 yards, and there have definitely been of hole-in-ones on 150yd par 3s, but that happens what, like 0.0001% of the time? If you're going to yell "get in the hole", why not on a shot that actually might go into the hole?

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Is " you dah man" still around? If it is it is strictly low class and annoying.

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

• 2 years later...

First off, I did search and saw a few old posts on this topic, but...

I just don't get it.  It was very hard to watch 4 days of golf with every shot being followed by some guy yelling "GET IN THE HOLE!".

It just astounds me that there were at least 54 people in attendance EVERY DAY that wanted to yell this on every shot.

- On the tee, par 5,4,3 yell it.

- On the fairway, 250, 200, 100 yards out, yell it.

- On the green, fried egg, chunked rough, behind a tree, yell it.

I want to hear the commentary, so I don't mute, but I would pay $100 for a filter that would edit it out every time it was yelled.

Rant over.

Brad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It doesn't really bother me to the point where I would want to mute it, but I hear your point.  There are lots of strange and sometimes annoying traditions on the PGA Tour.  I'm not sure it would be the same without someone yelling "GET IN THE HOLE!!!!!!!!"

I find "GET IN THE HOLE!" and "YOU DA MAN!" to be very annoying. I got a laugh when some guy shouted "BABA BOOEY!" yesterday, but nothing will beat the "MASHED POTATOES!" guy from Chevron last year.

While personally I love the game but am very put off by the stuffy and pretentious nature of some of the rules and mores, I completely agree. I'm not entirely sure how the players cope knowing nano-seconds after they strike the ball they'll be met with a deluge of inane screaming. It must be extremely off putting.

My dream is to go to a PGA Tour event just so I can find one of those guys and slap the *# e1_poo.gif t out of him! Unfortunately since assault and battery, even on the stupid, is illegal my dream will never come to fruition. a5_crying.gif

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

My dream is to go to a PGA Tour event just so I can find one of those guys and slap the *#:poo: t out of him! Unfortunately since assault and battery, even on the stupid, is illegal my dream will never come to fruition. :~(

Get the right jury and you'll NEVER be convicted! ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by bmartin461

First off, I did search and saw a few old posts on this topic, but...

I just don't get it.  It was very hard to watch 4 days of golf with every shot being followed by some guy yelling "GET IN THE HOLE!".

It just astounds me that there were at least 54 people in attendance EVERY DAY that wanted to yell this on every shot.

- On the tee, par 5,4,3 yell it.

- On the fairway, 250, 200, 100 yards out, yell it.

- On the green, fried egg, chunked rough, behind a tree, yell it.

I want to hear the commentary, so I don't mute, but I would pay $100 for a filter that would edit it out every time it was yelled.

Rant over.

Brad

Wow, it really bugs you? i am assuming you are of an older age, but then again young cheer leaders is your profile pic hmmmm.... It doesn't bother me one bit.

I will never forget 3 years ago a nationwide tour stop at my home course, colt knost 130 out in a fairway bunker, I was up on the green, Colt chunked it maybe 15 yards and I yelled "Get in the Hole!" I don't know if he heard but on the same hole he missed a 4 footer and I clapped and he looked over and gave me the dirtiest look ever, I was pretty embarissed but hey they could have been claps of encouragement. Funny thing is I walked right by him next day and he looked at me but I don't think he recognized me or maybe he did, I just smiled.

There was a guy at the US Open that shouted "YABADABADOO" after one of the shots.  Normally it's annoying, but if you're at least original like he was it isn't so bad.  That one got me to laugh.

-Bryan

Bag: TM Superfast Driver, TM Burner '08 3W, GigaGolf Irons, Yes! Sandy Putter

I love when people yell "WOOOOOOOOOOO" off the tee I think it pumps up the players a bit too. I also don't mind "Get in the hole" no matter where it's from. To me, it has become a saying in golf just hoping for a good shot. I don't like that everyone is screaming "mashed potatoes" now... Has nothing to do with golf

Note: This thread is 4296 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!